Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Labradar/magnetospeed (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2017 11:45:58 PM EDT
Any of you guys have any experience with one of these? I bought my "dream" chronograph off the forum a couple months ago. Oehler 35p. The reality of my life is that the outdoor range is a 4-6 time a year event. I can get to the 100 yard indoor range in Buford over lunch. I'm considering selling or shelving the oehler and getting a magnetospeed or a labradar. The labradar looks awesome but seems like it's ripe for a fun tuning of design. I would hate to buy this version and another with the quirks work out come along. The magnetospeed seems like a pretty mature design and the only quirk is a poi shift.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:42:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Twoboxer] [#1]
For background, I have a CED M2 optical chrono, a MagnetoSpeed V1, and a Labradar. You already know at least some of the advantages that MS and LR have over opticals, so I'll focus on the the differences I've found.

For me the biggest problems withe the MS were (1) it "must" be attached to  a barrel and (2) it is not attachable to all barrels (eg pistols). When attached to a barrel it will change the POI in almost all cases. Its affect on group size is harder to evaluate, but if you believe that barrel tuners work then the MS will also have an affect on group size. The bottom line is that I did not chrono the loads I actually used for load development or for score. Instead extra ammo was made to chrono.

The LR will not at this time chrono shotshell, and problems have been reported tracking velocities over 4.000fps. You can also have issues adjusting the unit's sensitivity if you are shooting suppressed in a shooting gallery. None of these issues affect me, so I use the LR exclusively now. ALL loads are chronoed with no impact on POI or group size and that gives me a lot more data to understand the true fps range of any load. I recently shot steel at 100 yd increments out to 1200 yards, and was able to chrono each shot. Whether or not one considers that useful, it is not practical/possible to do that with any other style chrono.

I don't know what makes you feel the LR is ripe for fine tuning other than that it is new. Perhaps at some point they will improve the alignment sighting method. Performance improvements may be handled through firmware downloads - there's already been one release adding additional sensitivity settings. There may be some other functional improvements that can't be added except via hardware change. But if the unit covers what you shoot, those improvements probably will be of little utility to you.

One other thing - there is a brand new chrono out called the Twobox Chrono. You can google to find out whether it suits your needs. Finally, I guess I should mention that although my screen name is Twoboxer, I have no connection with that chrono's manufacturer, and I am not a user of it either lol.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got both and the lab radar i a little bit more finicky, but i like it better and use it more.  The magneto speed is accurate, but i don't love having things hang off my barrel when i'm shooting.  I find myself using the labradar much more because i can collect MV data while sending rounds downrange for practice.  It had a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure it out its great.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You will like the lab radar. Once you learn it, you will not use another kind. Just got an email from them when I inquired about the blue tooth for your phone. Looks like around august it should be released. Once this comes out, don't think any other chrono can top the lab radar. Will be nice NOT to have to touch the unit once its set up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:03:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
You will like the lab radar. Once you learn it, you will not use another kind. Just got an email from them when I inquired about the blue tooth for your phone. Looks like around august it should be released. Once this comes out, don't think any other chrono can top the lab radar. Will be nice NOT to have to touch the unit once its set up.
View Quote
Awesome to hear. I ordered one last night with the air gun mic and a few other pieces.

Not having to hook it up to a computer to retrieve and store data will be a plus for me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Awesome to hear. I ordered one last night with the air gun mic and a few other pieces.

Not having to hook it up to a computer to retrieve and store data will be a plus for me.
View Quote
They are not saying much on the blue tooth for the phone except you can make changes on your phone to the unit. Am hoping the app will be able to store the info also. I have a very large pile of print outs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
They are not saying much on the blue tooth for the phone except you can make changes on your phone to the unit. Am hoping the app will be able to store the info also. I have a very large pile of print outs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hoping to avoid hooking it up to a computer at all, save for firmware updates.

I don't have a desktop or laptop always on and don't want to drag it out every time I collect velocity data.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Hoping to avoid hooking it up to a computer at all, save for firmware updates.

I don't have a desktop or laptop always on and don't want to drag it out every time I collect velocity data.
View Quote
It sucks printing it out. But want a record of my past shots in the event I lose the date on the computer or labradar
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Print outs? Am I missing something here?

Don't you guys just take the SD card out, put it in your computer via a SD card reader, copy the files, and import / process the CSVs?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ocabj:

Don't you guys just take the SD card out, put it in your computer via a SD card reader, copy the files, and import / process the CSVs?
View Quote
That probably seems like a lot of work to some people. I mean to people who haven't ever had the joy of using a shooting chrony beta for a decade ;)
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
thats what I do, I have a little folder on the computer and everything
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I copy the entire file to my computer. Hard drives do crash so I print them out. If labradar does it right, they will have a spreadsheet built in the app to view along with notes to add. Then I could just save to the cloud in the event my phone dies or change phones. They won't tell much more than late summer for the release.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I understand that drives can fail, but printing out csvs for 'backup' when each series is usually only 50KB seems inefficient, especially when you want the original files as opposed to having to restore them from a print out.

I have all my Labradar files on my laptop right now and it's only 2.5MB total. I could literally email the files to myself and have a more effective backup than a print out (using Google Mail as my MX), and even then, one's existing computer backup system should cover these files assuming one is copying them off the SD to the computer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Some smart guy (John) on the 'hide created an excel macro to pull all the individual labradar files together into 1 spreadsheet , I shamelessly copy paste the instructions here - its a helpful thing - and Labradar is seriously cool - will be even better with the firmware upgrade that is on its way.

shameless snip:

I got tired of having to go in andopen each shot track separately so I wrote a short macro that will copy/paste
all the individual shots into their individual sheet within the main sheet. So
the first sheet will have the usual shot data (average, max, min, etc), second
sheet will be Shot 1, third will be shot 2, and so on. I’ve tested it to double
digit shots, and it works fine. Should also work for 100+ shots, but would be
pretty cumbersome at that point.
To use it:
-Copy from ‘Sub’ to ‘End Sub’ below.
-Open a report sheet (like “SR0003 Report") from the Labradar, make sure
you are on the sheet with the report data. Note: TRK folder has to be left as
subfolder for this to work.
-Hit ALT+F11 (or Function+Alt+F11 if you don’t have dedicated function keys
like on a laptop) to bring up the visual basic editor.
-On the menu bar, go to ‘Insert’ and hit ‘Module’.
-Paste what you copied into the module (the blank sheet on the right).
-You should see a green ‘play’ arrow in the toolbar, click that and it should
Run. Or you can go to Run on the toolbar and hit ‘Run Sub’.
-When you see a message box saying "Done", hit ok, then close the
visual basic editor.
Make sure you save the new workbook as an Excel Workbook because *.csv doesn’t
allow multiple sheets, and all the data will be erased except for 1 sheet. Or,
if you know you are going to shoot more (add more shots to that report) then
you can save as macro enabled workbook and you can use the macro again on the
added data.

For people that find this useful.. Once you paste it into the module sheet, go
up to 'File' and hit 'Export file'. Save it to a place you remember, and name
it something appropriate (like LBR Macro). Then next time you want to use it,
just hit the ALT+F11 (or whatever you did to open the editor), go to 'File',
and hit 'Import File', open the macro you saved, then hit run.

Hope this helps someone else…
John

Sub combine_it()

Dim zz As String

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

num_pages = Cells(4, 2)

For n = 1 To num_pages

Worksheets.Add(After:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)).Name = "Shot "
& n

Next n

the_path = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path

For m = 1 To num_pages

a = Len(m)
If a = 1 Then zz = "000" & m
If a = 2 Then zz = "00" & m
If a = 3 Then zz = "0" & m
If a = 4 Then zz = m

Dim y As Workbook
Set y = Workbooks.Open(the_path & "/trk/shot" & zz &
" Track.csv")

Range("a1:d350").Select
Selection.Copy

y.Close True

Worksheets("Shot " & m).Activate
ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste

Next m

msgbox("Done")

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

endof shameless snip
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I understand that drives can fail, but printing out csvs for 'backup' when each series is usually only 50KB seems inefficient, especially when you want the original files as opposed to having to restore them from a print out.

I have all my Labradar files on my laptop right now and it's only 2.5MB total. I could literally email the files to myself and have a more effective backup than a print out (using Google Mail as my MX), and even then, one's existing computer backup system should cover these files assuming one is copying them off the SD to the computer.
View Quote
I also write my notes of the days shooting, plus target and shot placement. Can't do that with your files on the computer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#15]
First time out with the LR today.

Took a few rounds to get the air gun mic and sensitivity settings correct so it wasn't triggering from the wind and was triggering when my suppressed .308 supers went downrange.

Ran a 10rd string with the LR collecting and my old Shooting Chrony Beta setup. I turned the first distance setting to 2y in an attempt to get an apples to apples comparison as the SCB was at ~2y from the end of the suppressor.

5/10 shots tracked at 0, 2, 25, and 50yds with five not being read past 25y and all being lost between 50-75yds.

I was shooting into a field of tall grass with trees, so that may have made for too much clutter for the beam to track the .30cal bullet.

This was done kneeling on the end of a picnic table so I could get the LR at the muzzle and the SCB at a useful height on the tripod. Looking forward to do all LR shooting from the prone so as to get the best group size as well as velocity data at the same time vice the system I have now of shooting for groups and then sending the best loads over the chrono while seated.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:41:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#16]
I copy the entire file to my computer. Hard drives do crash so I print them out. If labradar does it right, they will have a spreadsheet built in the app to view along with notes to add. Then I could just save to the cloud in the event my phone dies or change phones. They won't tell much more than late summer for the release.
View Quote
That is why you do backups of your computer as shit happens.

Dropbox is a good option and I used that for really important things.  Don't get me started on backups as I am a bit obsessed with them LOL.  Currently at home I have 8TB+ of files stored on a NAS (including Dropbox) which is backed up to another NAS in my network and then backed up to external drives that are taken out of the house.  My work stuff (I am a programmer) has even more redundancy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the Magnetospeed V3 and I love it.  You gotta spend about 5 or so minutes getting it setup on your barrel, but after that it's perfect.  Very accurate, and consistent.  The POI does shift a little, but the group sizes don't. So it's perfect for my load development, because I'm only looking for POI relative to other shots.

I have also noticed that it gives about 30-40 fps faster readings than my old ProChrono did...or maybe the ProChrono is 30-40fps slower?  

I haven't tried the lab radar, but you will be happy with the magnetospeed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:32:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By texaggie77:
. . . The POI does shift a little, but the group sizes don't. . . .
View Quote
Don't be so sure lol. People attach barrel tuners to the end of their barrels in order to have an adjustable means of tightening group sizes.

What I can say for sure is that if you change the tension on the strap of the MS, or change the location of its attachment on the barrel, the shifted POI will shift differently. So if that happens within a group it will definitely affect group size.

OTOH, my own MagnetoSpeed V1's ease of setup while the range is hot made it worthwhile to make up additional ammo for chrono purposes during load development. Now with the Labradar, all loads from all my firearms can be chronoed without POI or attachment concerns.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:04:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#19]
Originally Posted By Twoboxer:
Now with the Labradar, all loads from all my firearms can be chronoed without POI or attachment concerns.
View Quote
This was why I eventually bit the bullet and got one. Hoping to be able to do load dev from the prone and get velocity as well as group data from one set of rounds as opposed to the method I used before of shooting for groups and then hoping one of the best 3-4 groups had good velocity numbers when I made up another four rounds of each and ran them over the chrono.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:49:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: texaggie77] [#20]

What I can say for sure is that if you change the tension on the strap of the MS, or change the location of its attachment on the barrel, the shifted POI will shift differently. So if that happens within a group it will definitely affect group sizes
View Quote
Within groups, sure.  But I've never had to adjust it once I start shooting. Just make sure it's on straight and snug, then shoot.  And even when I take it off I haven't noticed any group size changes at all.  Group sizes are pretty much the same for several loads that I've worked up.   Granted, I'm only shooting at 100 yards, and Im not shooting an uber-precision rifle, so what you're saying might be correct for other setups and distances.  But I havent noticed any for what I'm doing.  Regardless, the MS has been a HUGE win for my load development.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Im sure ill get shit for this but i do my load development with my magnetospeed on.  Yes, it effect poa/poi but not my groups.  Tested against 4 different rifles.  Found 1/2 moa loads with all, no issues.  My time is limited so one range session for load development is great.  In my expereince if it shoots 1/4-1/2 moa with out the magnetospeed it will do the same with it on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:28:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#22]
Within groups, sure.  But I've never had to adjust it once I start shooting. Just make sure it's on straight and snug, then shoot.  And even when I take it off I haven't noticed any group size changes at all.  Group sizes are pretty much the same for several loads that I've worked up.   Granted, I'm only shooting at 100 yards, and Im not shooting an uber-precision rifle, so what you're saying might be correct for other setups and distances.  But I havent noticed any for what I'm doing.  Regardless, the MS has been a HUGE win for my load development.
View All Quotes

What I can say for sure is that if you change the tension on the strap of the MS, or change the location of its attachment on the barrel, the shifted POI will shift differently. So if that happens within a group it will definitely affect group sizes
I always develop loads with magneto on.

I never had an issue with group size change with the magnetospeed bayo until I used it on my Grendel barrel. My groups opened up by about .1-.2moa with the bayonet off. I assume it has something to do with the 24" long thin profile(more whip). Never noticed this on my short heavier profile barrels.

95% of the time, for me, there would be no benefit to the LabRadar....but when shooting long range, 2 or 3 rifles for which I have a couple different loads each, getting muzzle velocities then zero offsets can be time and ammo consuming.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]
The ability to get velocity data for loads I've already worked up and like should be easier compared to getting inline with the screens for each and every firearm/load.

Planning to spend a couple hours on the 4th with some pistols and rifles I haven't chrono'd before as I can set it and forget it with the LR on a tripod at standing height and just run through a few series.

Not worrying about the forecast of the sun coming in and out will also be nice as my OCD will be fed with even 10-30rd series, haha.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#24]
The ability to get velocity data for loads I've already worked up and like should be easier compared to getting inline with the screens for each and every firearm/load.

Planning to spend a couple hours on the 4th with some pistols and rifles I haven't chrono'd before as I can set it and forget it with the LR on a tripod at standing height and just run through a few series.

Not worrying about the forecast of the sun coming in and out will also be nice as my OCD will be fed with even 10-30rd series, haha.
View Quote
You have none of those issues with a Magnetospeed either. 

I can use my Magnetospeed inside my bullet trap in the house, 30 round strings if I like. 
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

I can use my Magnetospeed inside my bullet trap in the house, 30 round strings if I like. 
View All Quotes

Some of said loads are through pistols and firearms without 6 o'clock rails or barrels long enough to attach the MS to.

When it first came out I was very much interested in the Magnetospeed as it's a really cool idea that gets around many of the issues optical chrono have. I just feel like the LR is the next step in technology advancement, reducing even further the limitations placed on the user.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Some of said loads are through pistols and firearms without 6 o'clock rails or barrels long enough to attach the MS to.

When it first came out I was very much interested in the Magnetospeed as it's a really cool idea that gets around many of the issues optical chrono have. I just feel like the LR is the next step in technology advancement, reducing even further the limitations placed on the user.
View Quote
I agree, just pointing out you were comparing issues of an optical chrony, this thread is Magneto vs. LR.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Just FYI....I took the Oehler for a test drive today and it was perfect. Took a little longer to setup but it was 100% and I have a printout of everything I did. I guess an app would be cool, but the receipt for my work works as well

5 FPS ES on one of my loads
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
Just FYI....I took the Oehler for a test drive today and it was perfect. Took a little longer to setup but it was 100% and I have a printout of everything I did. I guess an app would be cool, but the receipt for my work works as well

5 FPS ES on one of my loads
View Quote
If you only use it once in a great while it will be fine or on your personal home range. I use mine every weekend and got sick of wasting time setting up and holding other people up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#30]
A single test is merely anecdotal I'll admit, and the impact of the MS may well vary by barrel type. But the target below made me stop using my MagnetoSpeed V1 during load development.

Remington 700 BDL, 30-06, 123gr Scenar, 3000fps. POA for all 3 groups at 100yds was the same bullseye. The middle group had the MS attached as I normally would attach it, the lower group shot was without the MS, and the upper group with the MS attached slightly further back on the barrel and the strap as tight as I could make it.

Of course, YMMV. May.

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:38:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: robpiat] [#31]
So good fortune fell on me and I got a good deal on a labradar on ebay at the same time I had some $$ in my paypal acct.

It doesn't come with the plate mount. I shoot primarily from a bench, 308 / 6.5 with a suppressor. There is often one or two other shooters on the line but we can space out 10-20' . I have read that you should position it in front of the muzzle for suppressor use. Does this generally mean ground tripod mount or will the benchplate still be valuable? I hate buying extra stuff that i might not use.

I already have plenty of USB power packs. I have read that doppler mode works better from suppressors?

Any other tips?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Took the labradar out today. No matter what setup I tried, I couldn't get it to trigger on a suppressed rifle. I suppose I need the air rifle mic.

Once I figured out the layout, it was nice to shoot unsuppressed.

Can you guys post pics of you have them of known good configurations for locating it?

It seemed for me that it wanted to be about even with the muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I run mine about even with my bipod unless shooting suppressed then I have the mic very close to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By robpiat:. . . No matter what setup I tried, I couldn't get it to trigger on a suppressed rifle.

. . . Can you guys post pics of you have them of known good configurations for locating it?

It seemed for me that it wanted to be about even with the muzzle.
View Quote
Since you only mention physical placement, have to ask did you go through the menu and adjust sensitivity and distance from muzzle?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Since you only mention physical placement, have to ask did you go through the menu and adjust sensitivity and distance from muzzle?
View Quote
Sensitivity was level 1 and distance was 6" or 12" depending on where i was trying to get it to work.

I understand the air gun mic will make this less of a challenge. Is that the best way to do this?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#36]
And just FYI I shot about 30 rounds in nearly every possible orientation to the device with the suppressor and no trigger.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:23:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#37]
0Don't be so sure lol. People attach barrel tuners to the end of their barrels in order to have an adjustable means of tightening group sizes.

What I can say for sure is that if you change the tension on the strap of the MS, or change the location of its attachment on the barrel, the shifted POI will shift differently. So if that happens within a group it will definitely affect group size.

OTOH, my own MagnetoSpeed V1's ease of setup while the range is hot made it worthwhile to make up additional ammo for chrono purposes during load development. Now with the Labradar, all loads from all my firearms can be chronoed without POI or attachment concerns.
View All Quotes
Don't be so sure lol. People attach barrel tuners to the end of their barrels in order to have an adjustable means of tightening group sizes.

I'm currently working up a way to attach a magnetospeed without touching the barrel.  kinda like David Tubb's KO2M setup
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By tweeter:
I'm currently working up a way to attach a magnetospeed without touching the barrel.  kinda like David Tubb's KO2M setup
View All Quotes

I am trying to come up with a way to do that on my AIAT as well.  If only I had a milling machine :-(
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jlficken:
I am trying to come up with a way to do that on my AIAT as well.  If only I had a milling machine :-(
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jlficken:

Sniper's Hide Interviews David Tubb Ko2M
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Love my Magnetospeed. 100% reliable. Easy to set up (relative to an optical chrono). Can be used at indoor ranges no problem. Just not able to chrono your .38 snubbie, but who cares about that anyway? Even successfully rigged it up on an AR with a long rail and minimal exposed barrel without issue that I thought would be a problem.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:51:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#41]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Love my Magnetospeed. 100% reliable. Easy to set up (relative to an optical chrono). Can be used at indoor ranges no problem. 
View Quote
Yep but had to get one. First time out pick up every shot. I really like it, takes about as long to setup as a MagnetoSpeed, especially if you have multiple rifles.

Compared both

From cold bore 83° ammo temp
..Magn/Labradar
..2548. 2549 +1L
..2545. 2546 +1L
..2544. 2545 +1L
..2557. 2559 +2L
..2549. 2551 +2L
..2535. 2536 +1L
..2553. 2553 =
..2547. 2547 =
..2539. 2541 +2L
..2547. 2548 +1L
..2539. 2540 +1L
..2540. 2541 +1L
..2535. 2534 +1M
..2545. 2545 =
..2556. 2555 +1M
..2541. 2541 =
..2577. 2577 =
..2548. 2550 +2L
..2549. 2549 =
..2575. 2576 +1L
-----------
av 2548. 2549 +1L
mx2577. 2577 =
mn2535. 2534 +1M
SD11.2 . 11.2 =

93° ammo temp
Another string
Norma Brass
Magnet/Labradar
..2536. 2539 +3L
..2530. 2529 +1M
..2541. 2542 +1L
..2552. 2553 +1L
..2552. 2553 +1L
..2536. 2538 +2L
..2538. 2539 +1L
..2552. 2550 +2M
..2561. 2559 +2M
..2529. 2529 =
----------------
av 2542 2543 +1L
mx2561 2559 +2M
mn2529 2529 =
SD10.8 10.3

Another

Lapua Brass
Magnet/Labradar
..2578. 2580 +2L
..2561. 2561 =
..2566. 2568 +2L
..2562. 2562 =
..2566. 2567 +1L
..2574. 2575 +1L
..2568. 2568 =
..2553. 2554 +1L
..2568. 2569 +1L
..2581. 2582 +1L
-------------
av 2567 2568 +1L
mx2581 2582 +1L
mn2553 2554 +1L
sd 8.3  8.6

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Never thought about setting it up like yours popnfresh. Will be nice when the blue tooth app comes out. What tripod is that your using?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:56:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#43]
Never thought about setting it up like yours popnfresh. Will be nice when the blue tooth app comes out. What tripod is that your using?
View Quote
I figured over the top like that would keep it out of the muzzle brake blast , close to the barrel and resting the corner on the leg distributes the weight to two places. As a side bonus, I can reach the arm button without getting up.

The tripod I got off ebay about 10years ago, seller is on the side there, Amvona. I have been using it as a lamp in my living room all this time.
It is actually nice and solid so decided to put it to good use with the Labradar.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Now that you have both....which is your favorite?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:43:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#45]
Now that you have both....which is your favorite?
View Quote
Well it is hard to say as I have only sent 100 rounds by the Labradar and only set it up once.

This weekend I may setup my Shooting Chrony(dread that) and compare all three.

I think favorite will depend on use.

When I am shooting long range and have to collect zero offsets and MV for 6 different loads from 3 rifles the Labradar will most certainly be my favorite.

I will also enjoy the fact that I can chrony every round while shooting long range(I think).
If a shot is weird I can look at the MV to see if that is the issue. Can't do that with an optical unless you are only shooting one target. I was going to try it with my Magnetospeed but never got to it.

I am very confident in the durability of the Magnetospeed, it has stood up to use just about every weekend year around for almost 3 years with no concern for handling it carefully.  I have very little confidence in the durability of the Labradar, it will have to earn that.

I like the fact that I can use the Magnetospeed in my bullet trap in the house.

I like that the Magnetospeed batteries last forever. I use a usb  power pack on the Labradar so thee should be no issue.

If no issues arise with the Labradar, I think it will  end up getting most used. 

I might as well try to sell the Shooting Chrony, it has served me well for about 10 years but absolutely despise setting it up now after using the Magnetospeed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#46]

I might as well try to sell the Shooting Chrony, it has served me well for about 10 years but absolutely despise setting it up now after using the Magnetospeed.
View Quote
I've been trying to dump mine. No one wants it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:42:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#47]
View All Quotes

I gave mine to my dad as he wanted a chrono for testing a load every couple of months
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:30:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#48]
Well it is hard to say as I have only sent 100 rounds by the Labradar and only set it up once.

This weekend I may setup my Shooting Chrony(dread that) and compare all three.

I think favorite will depend on use.

When I am shooting long range and have to collect zero offsets and MV for 6 different loads from 3 rifles the Labradar will most certainly be my favorite.

I will also enjoy the fact that I can chrony every round while shooting long range(I think).
If a shot is weird I can look at the MV to see if that is the issue. Can't do that with an optical unless you are only shooting one target. I was going to try it with my Magnetospeed but never got to it.

I am very confident in the durability of the Magnetospeed, it has stood up to use just about every weekend year around for almost 3 years with no concern for handling it carefully.  I have very little confidence in the durability of the Labradar, it will have to earn that.

I like the fact that I can use the Magnetospeed in my bullet trap in the house.

I like that the Magnetospeed batteries last forever. I use a usb  power pack on the Labradar so thee should be no issue.

If no issues arise with the Labradar, I think it will  end up getting most used. 

View Quote
You've pretty much hit all the points of having both.  I've used my Labradar shooting long range and tracking is fine.  Yesterday I was able to to chrono suppressed 22 using it, but that did require the use of the auxiliary mic to pic up those shots.  Only downside I've found with my Labradar is having two on the line at the same time can cause issues, or being on a busy range.  MPA has a mount for the Magneto coming to market and there are some other people working on the for other stock types.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:22:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#49]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
  MPA has a mount for the Magneto coming to market and there are some other people working on the for other stock types.
View Quote
But there will still be POI issues with that won't there? 

I have always mounted mine at 6 o'clock and saw high POIs.I would assume mounting it at 12 o'clock would cause low POIs.

I was under the impression the bayonet was "pushing" the bullet away due to the magnetic field or maybe gas pressure?....rather than barrel harmonics causing POI shift.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:31:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#50]
But there will still be POI issues with that won't there? 

I have always mounted mine at 6 o'clock and saw high POIs.I would assume mounting it at 12 o'clock would cause low POIs.

I was under the impression the bayonet was "pushing" the bullet away due to the magnetic field or maybe gas pressure?....rather than barrel harmonics causing POI shift.
View Quote
These will mount to the stock, not the barrel, so i suppose time will if there is any shift or not.  I never saw any shift on an M40 contour, and i've seen down shift on rem varm.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Labradar/magnetospeed (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top