Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2017 10:02:35 PM EDT
I'm new to reloading I just picked up a Lee 1000pro with 223 dies but want to be able to use it for .50 Beowulf as well  is this possible on a 3 die turret as the Beowulf uses 4 dies instead of 3 like the 223 dies. is the crimping die necessary if I'm not using lead bullets ive read that's why the seating and crimping dies are separated so when using the seating die the lead doesn't get shaved when crimping in the same step any help is greatly appreciated thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The Lee Pro 1000 has a very steep learning curve. I would not use it for a first press to begin loading on. As far as a three or four die setup I always seat and crimp in the same station. Even using lead bullets I have never had a problem with seating and crimping at the same time. I don't know what all the big deal is about when people require separate seating and crimping stations.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:16:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#2]
I agree. Pro 1000 works good but you need to start on a single stage first. You might get by with a turrent press but you need to learn each step happening one at a time before you try to figure out everything happening at once. And then start loading pistol rounds. I use my Pro1000 for most of my reloading. I don't size. 223 on it. I have cases sized and trimmed first so first stage is an empty hole. I size and load .45ACP with cast bullets but final crimp is done on my single stage. Since priming is done below powder drop, loose kernels falling will foul primer feed,  vacuum cleaner can get you running quick. And clean primer feed track often. Last 15 primers will have to be "helped" as gravity is lost as they hit bottom. And watch powder level in Hopper and look into cases before seating bullets. Case and bullet feeds are a waste of money IMO. I hand feed as fast as feeder works. 
Well, that's what I can think of of the top of my head.  Feel free to IM if you have more questions. But again if you are just starting out, single stage for at least first 500 reloads. 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Friends don't let friends buy Lee Pro-1000's. I gave mine away with four conversions kits. I went to Dillon and have been happy ever since.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys you have given me some great advice will definitely help me in making a decision on a better press
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
There is nothing "wrong" with a pro 1000 it just has some quirks that you have to learn. I love my pro 1000, but I sat down and learned how everything meshed in relationship with everything else. Like the priming feeder. You have to load 115 primers to get the first 100 to feed by gravity. After that you only have to put 100 in each time. When you are done there will still be 15 left in the feeding tray.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:59:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lizARdman15] [#6]
The Pro1000 is a good starter progressive machine if you are a tinkerer.  If you can load on any Lee progressive, you can load on anything.

I DO NOT prime on press.

The case feeder can be finicky, but it works ok.

If anything hangs up the machine, it can get out of sequence. It is easy to fix if you read the instructions.

Case ejection from the pro1000 is a terrible idea. The little pin has a hard time kicking the cases out and the chute is too small which causes cases to get stuck to the point of interfering with the press' operation.
Although you can't do much with the chute, I made a better ejector out of a piece of sheet metal that worked much better.

If you have a problem with the Pro1000, take all the cases off and check them or run them back thru again AFTER you get the press running correctly again. It is not a press to fix and expect it to run properly immediately. Usually, you will have to clear it, fix it, and then cycle it a few times to check it before running it again.

I think I wore my pro1000 out after more than 15K pistol rounds loaded. The handle and ram feel loose. I still use it to deprime in mass before cleaning, but I dont trust it to load anymore. Which leads you to buying another press! I should have gone blue, but I didn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top