Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2017 9:03:30 PM EDT
On hand I have
Winchester LR
Remington 9 1/2
CCI 200.
Which to choose for my new bolt gun load work up.
Savage 10T in 308.
168 grain Hornady HPBT
IMR4895 and Varget.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Winchesters for LRPs in a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Winchester lrp will create approximately 6000 more psi for any given powder charge when compared to CCI-200's or Remington 9.5's. About the same difference as using Lake City brass vs. Winchester commercial .308 cases.

You really need to try them all once you settle on a good load. I would use the Winchester primers for load development, then substitute the others once you find a load that is promising.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the CCI for my 10T but shoot 178 ELD-X with varget. Use my Lapua brass for load development then use Hornady match brass for the load I choose. Haven't tried Winchester though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Winchester lrp will create approximately 6000 more psi for any given powder charge when compared to CCI-200's or Remington 9.5's.
View Quote

And if you had the privilege of reading German Salazar's' blog he noted that best accuracy occurs from primers that have the lowest Briznance.
That is the least ignition flash--not the most.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:45:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#5]
I use CCI 200's for my 308 168gr Hornady BTHP w/ Varget load and have always had excellent results in the last 6 rifles I have used it in.

43.5gr and Winchester brass seems to be a sweet spot for me across multiple rifles.  I just load to 2.805" OAL and don't chase the lands either.

.4" 5-shot groups at 100yds are common with me as the shooter with some dipping down into the .3's sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for The responses
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#7]
IMR powder and WLR
Varget loves CCI BR 2 so I suppose you can try the 200?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
I use the CCI for my 10T but shoot 178 ELD-X with varget. Use my Lapua brass for load development then use Hornady match brass for the load I choose. Haven't tried Winchester though.
View Quote

Why use the Lapua brass for development and Hornady for the load?  I would guess it would be the other way around or use the same for development and loading...
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:47:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#9]
Originally Posted By DenverDave:

Why use the Lapua brass for development and Hornady for the load?  I would guess it would be the other way around or use the same for development and loading...
View Quote

Cost. Only have 100 lapua brass vs a couple thousand Hornady match. But if I ever get into doing any kind of competition, would use the lapua in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have never used Remington Large Rifle primers, but find that the Winchesters produce about 20-40 fps more velocity in .308 and a higher SD with extruded powders than other lower flash primers.

Winchester WLR seem to shine with hard to ignite ball powders or loads with a lot of empty case volume so that you can get consistent ignition regardless of powder position.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Of the ones listed I would go with the CCI but I generally use Federal.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

And if you had the privilege of reading German Salazar's' blog he noted that best accuracy occurs from primers that have the lowest Briznance.
That is the least ignition flash--not the most.
View Quote
Do you know if anyone else has that saved?  I tried to find it a while back but no go.  Pm me if you want
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top