Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2017 1:49:54 PM EDT
Anyone load 308 and use RL-17? I use varget exclusively and see RL-17 is in the Hornady reload book. Since I have an abundance of RL-17 from when I had my 6.5 creedmoor, thinking of trying it. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It was the IN thing several years back with the heavies. the 208 amax loaded long with 45-50gr of RE17 was pretty popular. brought the little .308 into lower 300wm territory
pp2000mr and cfe223 stole it's thunder as their more temp insensitive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Going to try with 178 ELD-X and see what happens. Max load has me at a compressed load. Book doesn't show it. 200 grain shows RL-17 almost the best to use. Find out when I get to the range and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to come late but RL17 is temp sensitive and spikes pressures quickly at or near top loads.

It also has a small reputation as a barrel burner in the UK according to some of their F-Class T/R shooters.  Something about it being a double base powder.  (I don't know the specifics)

I've shot it and have not had issues with it other than the temp issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top