Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2017 11:57:01 PM EDT
I have reloaded before but not using my own equipment. Right now I am only interested in getting a single stage for my 308 precision shooting.

For the press, I am pretty set on getting a Forster CoAX.

Need help with getting a GOOD scale that doesnt cost 1k dollars. Also wondering as far as powder dispenser goes... what is good out there?

Not looking for dirt cheap on the scale/powder equipment, but need something ACCURATE for when I really fine-tune my 308 loads.

Also in regards to things like case trimmers, case prep, depriming, etc... what tools do I need? I want to order one-time from Midway or Grafs and just need a list of what I actually need for really precise 308 loads.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the 50th Anniversary Breech Lock Challenger Kit for around $120ish or so. Great to start off on. I got a digital scale and trickler from Cabela's don't know the name of either off the top of my head. Works good for me for what I am doing now.  Tried the scale that came with the kit yet didn't work for me as I am not good with those type of scales. Set up the powder measure using the digital and got it to throw the same charge +/- .02-.04 grains each time. Have only used it for .223 thus far and then messed up my arm so haven't gotten a chance to test fire the rounds. They will be middle range for the powder and projectile that I loaded. I also have the Breech Lock Hand Press Kit which is good to use while sitting in front of the TV or computer. Now that I think about it may break it back out as it will help my arm that I fucked up get strength back.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:36:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#2]
You've picked a great press.

Wilson Case Trimmer - the most accurate trimmer is also one of the lowest cost.  It is fairly slow but it is satisfying to use because it gives accurate, repeatable lengths and square case mouths.

Case prep will require a case mouth deburring tool, a primer pocket uniformer and a priming pocket decrimping tool.  All three of these are inexpensive.

Hornady gages - use them to set up your dies and ensure quality of your cases and loads.  Way better than a case gage.

Any of the mechanical scales will work well for you - Redding, RCBS.  The Dillon D-Terminator is very good and is only about $150.  If you want a really good electronic scale you will have to pay about $300+.  It's just a fact and it's a worthwhile investment.

Redding and RCBS make good powder measures.  Also buy a trickler.  Tricklers are inexpensive and are very useful for topping off thrown charges that are a bit light.

DavidK, also go to the >Armory>Reloading forum.  There is more "traffic" there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
You've picked a great press.

Wilson Case Trimmer - the most accurate trimmer is also one of the lowest cost.  It is fairly slow but it is satisfying to use because it gives accurate, repeatable lengths and square case mouths.

Case prep will require a case mouth deburring tool, a primer pocket uniformer and a priming pocket decrimping tool.  All three of these are inexpensive.

Hornady gages - use them to set up your dies and ensure quality of your cases and loads.  Way better than a case gage.

Any of the mechanical scales will work well for you - Redding, RCBS.  The Dillon D-Terminator is very good and is only about $150.  If you want a really good electronic scale you will have to pay about $300+.  It's just a fact and it's a worthwhile investment.

Redding and RCBD make good powder measures.  Also buy a trickler.  Tricklers are inexpensive and are very useful for topping off thrown charges that are a bit light.

DavidK, also go to the >Armory>Reloading forum.  There is more "traffic" there.
View Quote

Thank you my brother, great info! What digital scale would you recommend?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]
The Forster Coax is what I have and it's an awesome press.  I would recommend adding the Inline Fabrication short roller handle to it.
These are just my recommendations and equipment that I like the best. The explanations are brief but I hope helpful in seeing why the tool will help you.  Not all of these tools are necessary to get up and running. some of them are to fine tune the load.

Scale: A&D FX120i with the Omega Powder trickler,  Then you can also add the autotickler to the A&D FX120i to increase your loading speed down the road.  

Powder Funnel: Satern powder funnel I prefer these to the universal type.

Loading Blocks: Frankford arsenal, I prefer these to the universal type. I use 2 in the loading process.

Case Trimmer: Giraud Tri-Way Trimmer. This will trim, chamfer and deburr the cases and save you lots of time.  

Reloading Manual: Whichever companies bullets you plan to shot most.  

Primer Pocket Cleaner: I like the Hornady primer pocket cleaner chucked up in a drill.

Flash Hole deburring tool, Not necessary on brass such as Lapua but if the flash hole was punched out (Hornady, Fed, Rem, Win, etc...) this will remove the burr and give a more uniform powder ignition which helps achieve a lower standard deviation. Only needs to be done once for the life of the brass.

Dies: Redding competition dies or Forster benchrest dies or Windham dies (comes with a shoulder bump gauge for setting dies up properly) I prefer full length sizing dies

Shoulder bump gauge: This will help you set the dies up properly so you're not oversizing the brass

Priming tool: RCBS automatic bench priming tool.  I like using this more than the hand priming tools.

Calipers: Any of the reloading brands should do.  I prefer dial just because the battery always seemed to be dead when I went to use the digital calipers.

Deprimer: I use the Lee decapping die. Not necessary to do as a separate step as the resizing die will pop out the used primer.  I do it because I wet tumble my brass.

Tumbler: need this to clean the cases.  traditional or wet it doesn't really matter neither will produce a more precise end product.  

Hornady overall length gauge: This will help you find the best bullet seating depth for your rifle

Hornady comparator:  You'll need this for the overall length gauge because you don't want to measure from the base to the bullet tip.  This will allow you to measure from the bullets ogive which is where you want to measure when setting up the bullet seating depth.

This is just a list of some of the tools I think will help you. I'm sure I forgot some stuff. There are more tools you can get such as a runout gauge, neck turning tools, etc. I wouldn't add these till later if you feel the need.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on how fast you learn the accuracy game, you have time to save a larger budget for a scale that helps reduce your vertical dispersion at distance, however, it takes most of us a while to master some fundamental skills before the accuracy of the charge needs to be within one or two kernels.

You can read up while you learn with a regular balance or ChargeMaster for example. You can climb the skills ladder a long way with a scale that is within 0.3 grains uncertainty. If you are careful and patient, you can keep these within 0.2 grains. If you spend time out past 600 yards, you will eventually need top clamp down on charge weight variations and that takes money.

Scale Articles

There are several favorites running around the F-Class crowds. You start seeing the same ones popping up. No matter where you start out, beam balance or digital, you will need some check weights. Get some regardless of the style you like for the scale cause these are durable and will be used no matter what.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top