Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2017 8:26:29 AM EDT
Group Analytics / General Guidance for new Load Developer
5:23 AM
I am trying to figure out the best powder loads for my rifle.  I have read some content online that I found downright confusing; for example the OME method = obhective is not to shoot the tighest groups? Anyone who can explain this would be a huge help, or reloading/load development tips in general.
Other questions:
- What can I learn from:
----Vertical spread?
---- Horizontal Spread?

Special formulas they care to share?
I am running a 6.5 CM:
- Berger Hybrid Target Match 140's
- IMR 4350
- CCI 200 primers
Thus far I have shot about 25 reloads.  I have been using an OCL of 2.8 (per hornady handbook and the length of ELD-M 140's which my gun shoots very well).  My best (highest) groups have been using 40.8-41.5gr of powder (Hornady's max is 41.5gr)

On a side note, once I get the powder load figured out I am going to work on seating depth.  As I said I have been using a OAL of 2.8, but I have a Forster Micrometer Seating Die I am really looking forward to learning how to use.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:47:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#1]
When comparing groups I quit looking at extreme spread and go by average to center.
With extreme spread you are only looking at 2 shots which is absolutely pointless.

Extreme spread is only valid for iternet bragging IMO.

Get OnTarget or similar that tells you ATC or mean radius.

Here is a good example. This is clearly a .6moa load but that 10 shot says otherwise. It however is irrelevant and should not be counted in comparing to another load.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:35:28 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a straight forward write up and video of a ladder load development and test. I just wish there was a 300-600yrd range close to us for the testing.
Load development
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a very nice write up and good video too.

It should help the OP get a good start on the magic charge range, then he can fine tune seating depth and details.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:45:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Happy2shoot] [#4]
I think you (op) mean OCW optimum charge weight. You are looking for the 3 charge weights that have the same shot group center of mass. Pick the middle group charge weight. Now adjust the cartridge overall length to get the smallest group. There is a website.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately On Target is not an option for me as I am a Mac user.   I looked into the various ways one can run windows on a Mac but it all added up to being rather costly and time consuming for the use of the one program.

I use Ballistic AE (ballistics calc for iphone) which has a Group Analytics feature with functionality similar to On Target but with my hot dog fingers it is kinda a pain in the ass to use.  The info I am hoping to get from this thread is more big picture/conceptual.  For example: when I look at my group from load A and the 3 shots are on the same vertical plane while load B's shots are strung along horizontally what does that tell me about my loads and how can I use that info to get better shooting groups.  Does group A have to much powder? Group B to little of a charge?  Or is it unfortunately not that simple?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot a ladder test to find a range of charge weights which all result in the same point of impact.  I measure velocity over my chronograph for all rounds fired.

I then load a bunch (20-50 cartridges) at the nominal value for that range.

I shoot at least 20 for group to ensure I am getting good accuracy (small group size).

Honestly, during the ladder testing, I don't worry about wind deflection, just vertical point of impact.  I've adopted that approach because I have never found a load that shoots a tight vertical but not a correspondingly tight horizontal.  

I shoot at 200 yards as the farthest I can see all my shots without needing a second person to operate the targets.  It also means the wind will not cause an unreasonable deflection.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Download ballisticxlr from http://ballisticxlr.com, fill out the statistics tab and you will see results in quite a number of graphs on the stats and graphs tabs. Free download, free support.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top