Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 2:01:36 PM EDT
I'm looking seriously at the hornady 147 eld. But, I can't help but wonder if other companies are planning to release a heavy, high BC projectile in the near future.

Anyone with inside info?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#2]
I saw some testing on the Alcos on the Hide.

I just loaded 20 of the Alco 168's and shot them side by side with the Berger 168's. I do not believe these bullets are stabilizing. I would have a couple of accurate shots and then one would just go flying into lord knows where. On the upside, I only needed 2 MILS to 500y and about 2.6-2.7 to 600. I did not take them past that this weekend because I did not want to take a chance at missing the 1000y target and having a stray bullet fling off into never never land. In short the BC seems to be really good on these but I am probably going to go back to the Bergers because I know they fully stabilize every time in my 9.25 twist factory remington barrel.
View Quote

Alco Testing at Distance

We have tested them before. The one bullet we include in the library is about 26% lower BC than what's advertised. Pretty big jump. http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Downloads/Complete CDM Library 11Dec2016.pdf
View Quote
Applied Ballistics Testing
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I would be surprised if Sierra doesn't start offering more bullets that are shaped like the 110 SMK.

I was not all that impressed with the 147 ELD after trying it.  The Hornady BC on the box isn't wrong, but it is only valid above a certain speed.  The Litz G7 for that bullet is .335.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:22:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: md7989] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
I would be surprised if Sierra doesn't start offering more bullets that are shaped like the 110 SMK.

I was not all that impressed with the 147 ELD after trying it.  The Hornady BC on the box isn't wrong, but it is only valid above a certain speed.  The Litz G7 for that bullet is .335.
View Quote
What is the speed you need to be above to get the .697 BC? Is it not going fast enough at roughly 2690-2710 fps (that the factory 147 ELD ammo reaches) to have the .697 be valid?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:27:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By md7989:

What is the speed you need to be above to get the .697 BC? Is it not going fast enough at roughly 2690-2710 fps (that the factory 147 ELD ammo reaches) to have the .697 be valid?
View Quote
Hornady says  2512. After that it drops down, then drops down more.    This is as good resource on their ELD line.  Hornady BC

Litz puts the G1 at .654 if you are going to plug one number in.  If you run .697 as your only BC you will miss at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:22:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#6]
I was wondering the same thing op.
The RDF has a tiny meplat, I assume this means a second operation. Maybe Berger isn't  big enough to afford the extra work, they can hardly raise the price higher.

I  tried the RDF but it was quite abit slower than a Hybrid of the same weight making the higher BC irrelevant. I assume I will see the same with the 147eld.

If Berger could tighten up the meplat to gain some BC while keeping the short bearing surface and case cap. for speed they might be able to compete.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top