Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2017 7:14:41 PM EDT
So far I've been using hornady 308 match brass in my large frame AR. I know lapua brass is the bomb in bolt guns with excellent case life.

But how about in a large frame AR? Is it worth the extra cost for added case life if any? I'm not shooting prs or running and gunning, so I'm not worried about losing brass.

I've had good results with the 308 hornady match brass, but wondering if the extra cost for the lapua brass will get me better case life.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:29:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RegionRat] [#1]
It may be safe to assume you will find fewer statistical bad cases in Lapua batches, but I don't know where the notion of longer case life in an AR10 comes from.

There have been a few posts made here where folks ran small batches of brass in life tests, but the criteria did not include accuracy of those reloads and they were run for AR15 designs not AR10.

Most things published on the M14 would put the brass life lower than an AR15, but how and why they stated this was not specifically cited. I have not seen a recent case life study for brass of any brand in an AR10.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:34:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:59:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#3]
I only shoot LC/nato brass out of my AR10. Chews the crap out of brass. Use my hornady and lapua brass for my bolt 308. Unless you have deep pockets, suggest you use LC/nato brass for your AR10.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:56:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#4]
It depends on your needs.
I use Lapua in everything precision(.223&6.5g ARs .308 bolt) now because  I got sick of sorting and preping cases.

Lapua is just size and load, don't need to uniform pockets, debur flash hole, check neck wall thickness, check neck wall runout etc. I did all of this and it's very time consuming and found a lot of bad LC cases doing so. Then after all this effort, I would often lose cases after a couple firings due to case head separation ( I assume from their first firing out of a MG)
I said screw it and went Lapua.

I could see where you may getter better case life than LC 1x fired with the Lapua but i doubt you would see any difference VS. the Hornady.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
No doubt lapua brass is the best. Wouldn't even think about using it in an AR. Cost to much. As popnfresh said, best brass to use with less prep. I use it for my 308 for load development, then load in hornady brass when I find my load. Just started with 338 LM. It will use only lapua brass!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:38:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cruze5:
midway has hornady brass on sale for 59 cents each
Lapua is 84 cents.   if you are happy with your loads i would not change them.  
View Quote

I recently picked up some Lapua brass for $69/100 at Brownells. Got it with free shipping at the time too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:44:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The only brass I've found near Lapua quality is fully prepped Lake City M118LR brass.

That's not the same thing as run of the mill LC.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I only run Lake City or IMI (Israeli) brass through my .308 semi-auto rifles. They are built for use in auto-loading rifles and can take the abuse better than most commercial brands. I use Lapua in bolt actions only.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I would get IMI brass!  Screw LC a firing has already occured shortening the case life! Unless you can find some virgin LC?  But, I would get IMI while Wideners still has it.
If I was competing with an autoloader....and I was a top dog.....Lapua would be the choice!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Hornady match brass because I get it free from work and it's good brass. It's not as good as Lapua but I don't think anything is. I don't think Lapua brass would make my loads any more accurate but I'm certain I would get longer brass life. With that said my loads aren't barn burners but more of a middle road load. I get 5-6 firings through my ar-10t  before I scrap the brass but I have a rifle length gas system,  adjustable block and tubbs flat wire spring so it's soft recoiling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top