Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2017 10:01:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente]
Hello,
I have some Winchester 7mm WSM, new from the bag brass that I am preparing to reload. Some of the case mouths are deformed, with some worse than others.
I attached a pic of the worst offenders from two, 50 piece bags I opened. One of these cases also has trashed head (obviously no good) .

I can probably cull 10% without getting very aggressive with the rejection criteria on the case mouths, which really hurts with this kind of hard to find brass.

Do you think these cases can be salvaged? Would annealing them prior to sizing be helpful? Any tips you might have would be appreciated!
Thanks,

Jon

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you just send them back?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#2]
If those were brand new right out of the bag I would be contacting Winchester for replacement
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
If those were brand new right out of the bag I would be contacting Winchester for replacement
View Quote

This. I have range brass that looks 100% better then that. If that is their new brass imagine what the culls look like.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to send them back, but Winchester hasn't made it in a few years. I bought the brass 4 or 5 years ago, and then life got in the way.

I will give it a try though, and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:31:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Pick up a Lee neck size die, it will fix those handily.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Expand the next with K&M Expand Mandrel or use your regular sizing die to straighten them. Not a big deal.

K&M Expansion tools

(You can have these made to order, I have them in 0.0002" increments to be ready for new batches of brass, but you have to call for the sizes you want.)

That is not to say they are excused for shipping them to you this way, but that it won't stop you from salvaging them.

Another reason to have those expander mandrels is to be able to put the case mouth diameter exactly where you need it for use with other tools, for example a neck turning pilot.

The mandrel of the Lee Collet Die is also handy for this task and tends to do less work hardening or case stretching than regular sizers.

I would anneal these after the first cycle to even out any history. If you are being very picky, you may want to segregate these to make sure there wasn't any effect on your groups or center.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Craftsman punch that will roundify those necks.
Then just run them through a sizing die, and proceed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
What you need is an expander mandrel. You buy the correct size one from Sinclair along with the die body for it. It will straighten out the case mouth and then you can run it like normal through your sizing die..
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I resize all brass, trim, chamfer and de-burr before re-loading.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the advice, everyone.

I've only found one mangled case head out of 100.

I am going to give it a shot over the expander ball and see how they look. I'll order the K&M expander mandrel if that does not seem to work well enough.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Please contact Winchester.  Have the lot # handy and photos, too.  
They have been good in the past, perhaps you will be surprised!

The problem with expander ball/button is at times they will crush the case mouth depending on the damage.

As stated above...K&M Expand Iron Mandrel is a good way to make case mouths concentric!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rn22723:
The problem with expander ball/button is at times they will crush the case mouth depending on the damage.
View Quote

This man speaks the truth, haha.

I've had this problem with 5.7 brass before that had really dented case mouths.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#15]
K&M expansion tool is a great tool for reloaders. I use this in a step by itself to insure my case mouths are uniform. Some brass kind of snaps back after using your die. You can order special size ones too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

View Quote

I just use a tapered punch, nail set, whatever to take out the more extreme dents. Brass is soft,  it doesn't take much to round out a case mouth.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RegionRat:
Expand the next with K&M Expand Mandrel or use your regular sizing die to straighten them. Not a big deal.

K&M Expansion tools

(You can have these made to order, I have them in 0.0002" increments to be ready for new batches of brass, but you have to call for the sizes you want.)

That is not to say they are excused for shipping them to you this way, but that it won't stop you from salvaging them.

Another reason to have those expander mandrels is to be able to put the case mouth diameter exactly where you need it for use with other tools, for example a neck turning pilot.

The mandrel of the Lee Collet Die is also handy for this task and tends to do less work hardening or case stretching than regular sizers.

I would anneal these after the first cycle to even out any history. If you are being very picky, you may want to segregate these to make sure there wasn't any effect on your groups or center.
View Quote

Yep, run through your die and trim if need be.  Anneal now or after the initial "fireform" shot through your gun.

Just use a neck sizing die from then on until you need to full length after a few reloads.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
He doesn't need to buy anymore tools. His die expander ball will round the mouths out just fine. Then chamfer and deburr and he is set. I just did 100 7mm RM cases yesterday and a couple were dinged mouths. I ran it up just over the expander ball and it rounded them out nicely. Simple, fast and using the tools at hand.
View Quote

I agree!

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#20]

Exactly. If the mouth is bent all the way in then obviously you should bend it out so the ball will fit. It's not difficult.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

I just use a tapered punch, nail set, whatever to take out the more extreme dents. Brass is soft,  it doesn't take much to round out a case mouth.

Exactly. If the mouth is bent all the way in then obviously you should bend it out so the ball will fit. It's not difficult.

Certainly not "bent all the way in" but the PS90 is famous for denting case mouths to point where it will have a nearly flat spot.

I run 5.7 through a universal decapper prior to cleaning and lubing/resizing, so if the case mouth is so mangled that the universal decapping rod doesn't fit I consider it a lost case as the round is tough enough to reload for and I don't need the already short necks being weak.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#21]
yep, it is all 100% usable.
don't try and just load it right out of the bag. It all gets dinged up a bit from time to time.
I always start with an inspection and then FL size them all.  i have a case gage that was cut from the same reamer that cut all my chambers ( in this caliber)
the sizing will get them all consistent and that's the place to start.  

if you size your new brass you will be much better off.  
it will make uniform brass, it will center the necks, and square everything up.

if you wanted to do more prep, i'd clean the primer ports, neck turn if needed, and weigh sort them ( and shoot them in groups as weighed.)
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#22]
This is why you resize new brass with an expanded ball.  All that brass us usable unless after you resize you see a weak spot in the case neck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are worried about a few case mouth dents don't ever take up 300 Blackout reloading. Your cases will be fine after sizing and if necessary, trimming.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I've gotten lots of Winchester brass like that. I usually just run all new brass through the Lee beck sizer. No lube necessary, it's quick and easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top