Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2016 12:47:29 AM EDT
Say your setting up a reloading bench using a single stage press.  If your right handed should you mount the press on the right or left side?  What do you prefer?  I only want to drill holes once.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine is mounted to my right and i am right handed, personal preference. I would think it would make it difficult to operate the press using your weak hand. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep mine on my right, and I'm right handed.

If you don't want to drill more holes than necessary in your bench, bolt your press to a sturdy piece of wood and clamp the wood to your bench. Use it like that for a while to try it out. If that's where you want to keep it permanently, drill your holes in the bench there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Same as above, right-handed, mounted on the right side of my bench.

You want to pull the lever with your right hand for sure, and you still need your left hand free to pick up and remove items, etc. If the press is mounted to the left, your left hand is away from the free space on your bench, and you won't be able to reach anything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Right handed, right side press
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Right-handed here, and running a press seems to me to be a bit like hammering nails . . . . right hand on the hammer, left hand does the fetching etc. And that's the way most press are designed if they are not specifically ambidextrous.

So mount the press near the right end of the bench, and have room on the left side for supplies etc.

But also ensure there's a few inches of work room on the right side of your press for working on your press or using tools on it from that side. Doesn't have to be actual benchtop space, but don't mount the press right-side against a wall.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpazzyMcgee123:
I keep mine on my right, and I'm right handed.

If you don't want to drill more holes than necessary in your bench, bolt your press to a sturdy piece of wood and clamp the wood to your bench. Use it like that for a while to try it out. If that's where you want to keep it permanently, drill your holes in the bench there.
View Quote

I do this currently with my single stage, It doesn't always stay on the bench, so it is easy to grab it off the shelf and clamp it to the top. It is a nice way to go especially if you are weary of drilling holes at first. 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Finished building my bench in new house. The only thing I bolted down was my Dillon 650. Mounted it on far right side. Did this because I only have the finished product container on the right side. Bullets and scale are on my left.

I recommend using wood blocks (I used scraps of 6x6 and sheets of plywood) to mount everything else to. Then I just clamp to the workbench so I can move stuff around based on what caliber and steps I am doing. Or put everything away and clean a riffle
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:58:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Finished building my bench in new house. The only thing I bolted down was my Dillon 650. Mounted it on far right side. Did this because I only have the finished product container on the right side. Bullets and scale are on my left.

I recommend using wood blocks (I used scraps of 6x6 and sheets of plywood) to mount everything else to. Then I just clamp to the workbench so I can move stuff around based on what caliber and steps I am doing. Or put everything away and clean a rifle..
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:25:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#9]
I mounted the Rock Chucker in the middle of the bench. A 6" vise is on the right side. I'm right handed and usually operate the press right handed. Sometimes I go lefty when I get tired or sore just to even things up... so I'm sore on both sides .
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the general advice given above is pretty good . . . right-handed usually means right hand on the lever, feed stuff with the left hand. That usually means your supplies will be on the bench near your left hand. Which in turn places the press near the right end of the bench. Note that if the right side of your bench is against a wall, leave enough space (not much, but some) to work on the press itself FROM the right side . . . you will need that.

Watch some youtube videos of your press in operation and see for yourself. Then decide.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:12:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#11]
You have to run the press with your right hand anyway so it doesn't really matter what hand you are. You want to mount it far enough right from the left end of the bench so you have plenty of room for components.

I recommend you mount it to the far right so you have room to mount the second press you will buy.

This works fine for me, the Rockchuck has no issue being that far over.
I have a third press on a pedestal mount for modility, ie. the range, in front of the couch etc.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe I am weird, but I am left handed, and prefer to pull the lever on my Rock Chucker with my right hand. They make the handle reversible, but the offset in the frame works best if you place the cases with your left hand. It seems to me like pulling a handle is a not as much a fine motor skill as placing cases and bullets.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Right side.

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm right handed but my left hand isn't smart enough to do all the little tasks, so it pulls the handle while the right hand does all the work. My Lee is ambidextrous, handle is on center line of press.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top