Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Tremendous jump-start of information on long distance shooting.

He saved me tons of time and money by educating me on what equipment is needed for successful long distance shooting.

His info on reloading sure helped me get started with that.

Went to BangSteel long distance shooting school and made 1,000 yard hits the first day.    Lots of thanks to Rex and Dan Newberry for their advice.

One item of Rex's that some people disagree with is the temperature sensitivity of ballistics.   IIRC, Rex is using data of large caliber projectiles.   Not sure if that data can be extrapolated to smaller calibers and different powders.    Other sources, like Hodgdon, have presented data that indicates there is less change in muzzle velocity due to temp change.

YMMV

Still, a tremendous video series for the long distance shooter.    I wish him the best and encourage anyone to watch his videos.    Wish he conducted a face-to-face training school.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigkahuna48026:
Tremendous jump-start of information on long distance shooting.

He saved me tons of time and money by educating me on what equipment is needed for successful long distance shooting.

His info on reloading sure helped me get started with that.

Went to BangSteel long distance shooting school and made 1,000 yard hits the first day.    Lots of thanks to Rex and Dan Newberry for their advice.

One item of Rex's that some people disagree with is the temperature sensitivity of ballistics.   IIRC, Rex is using data of large caliber projectiles.   Not sure if that data can be extrapolated to smaller calibers and different powders.    Other sources, like Hodgdon, have presented data that indicates there is less change in muzzle velocity due to temp change.

YMMV

Still, a tremendous video series for the long distance shooter.    I wish him the best and encourage anyone to watch his videos.    Wish he conducted a face-to-face training school.
View Quote
+1 on the rex school idea. He could have a steady flow of students as his videos are discussed on lots of shooting forums. I watched these videos from a recommendation from a mod on THR. I hope he is doing well. I have not seen anything more from or about him. I wound up with an SWFA scope after watching the videos, and going to look at scopes. Saved me what, about $1k from what I thought I needed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
He posted a new video in the series today.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
dang!  i had no idea he had that many more now.  

very cool.   and very glad to hear he's over the cancer.

sometimes i wish watching the first 60 or so were required before being allowed to post about precision rifles on the internet.   I think the conversations would be a lot more interesting
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, I really enjoy his video's. He's a great go to for down to earth data and explanation.

When I watch his video's, I'm always surprised his view count isn't higher. This is good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Anti-archive bump.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Anti-archive bump.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I do have to thank a lot to rex. I've learned very much from the videos he made.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I do have to thank a lot to rex. I've learned very much from the videos he made.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Anti-archive bump.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I started watching them today.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:52:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#12]
Folks:

Somewhere around video 80 Rex introduces me. I take care of continuing design and maintenance on the ballistics spreadsheets. I figure now that we're on page 2 I'll introduce myself here again (there's one of these threads every year it seems).

I took Rex's system of calculation including his calc form and table design and then adapted Professor Arthur Pejsa's ballistics model to it in Excel so you don't have to do all the copy/paste nonsense from JBM. Now you have completely automated ballistics available to you that are 100% designed to be printed out.

I do offer a printing service on my website though it's not a business. I make a loss on each kit I make. Kits are printed out on Revlar which is a non-wood based paper substitute (made of plastic) that's meant for color laser printing. Completely water proof, tear proof, blood proof and abrasion resistant as all hell.

I'm posting this in the interests of everybody not bugging the snot out of Rex. He's a busy guy. If you want to check out the ballistics system Rex and I built check my website, ballisticxlr.com. Download and support are both totally free.

I now offer Density Altitude and non-DA versions. The DA version is called BallisticPRS and is meant for PRS shooters.

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
I'm posting this in the interests of everybody not bugging the snot out of Rex. He's a busy guy.
View Quote

Just tell Rex that a bunch of dudes on the Internet say "Hello" and "Thank you".  
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:23:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Roger that.

One thing I would suggest, donate to the Rex Reviews YouTube channel. Even just a couple bucks. The guy just came through a near fatal bout with a particularly horrible kind of cancer. He's not mentioned anything to me about it harming him financially but he's not the type to ask for help like that. I can guess though that it did jack up his financial future and the best way to thank him, honestly, is to drop a few bucks on him. For what he's done for the rest of us it'd be a fitting reward to help the guy retire.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
He kind of lost me in the video where he said the mil-dot was one of the best reticles available and I stopped watching them.  That and his love for IOR confused me.  Having owned a couple of them I wasn't horribly impressed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Not sure how I missed this thread but I'll be checking out his videos soon.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Rex is teaching me how to shoot one video at a time. His new podcast is pretty good also.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#19]
bump
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jlficken:
He kind of lost me in the video where he said the mil-dot was one of the best reticles available and I stopped watching them.  That and his love for IOR confused me.  Having owned a couple of them I wasn't horribly impressed.
View Quote

I guess Army and USMC sniper units are wrong about choosing mildots as well?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By falfrenzy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By falfrenzy:

Compared to a hash type reticle yes they are.  Just because the military uses something doesn't make it the best.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a SS 10x42 with a traditional mil-dot reticle and my friend just picked up a Nightforce SHV with their MIL-R reticle. After comparing the two I will eventually upgrade to a hash type reticle due to it being more precise.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Just another me too endorsement of the rex videos.

If you never pulled a trigger again they are still interesting for the science, delivery and depth.

His background doesn't matter to me anymore, his information is spot on.

I used to wonder though and looked hard in his videos for clues.   Even his answer was evasive.

He may have never been a military shooter, but I think the opposite is true.

In my experience, the more people advertise their mil background, generally the less they really did.

Rex is a carbon copy of the "quiet professionals" I do know.  He knows what he knows and doesn't need to talk it up.

If you watch the entire series he'll show a few pictures of himself in service, they were not stateside.

His training and knowledge mirror the military training from the 90's and early 2000's.

Even his choice of mil reticle said something to me, it's a system he's intimately familiar with, has spent thousands of hours behind, and is clearly integrated into his process and thought.

They're great videos, he seems like a very interesting person, and his Christian teachings on his channel indicate a deep thinking, faithful and thoughtful person.

I have a hard time digesting religions education, it's boring to me, but even that he delivered in a way that was interesting and educational.

I'm going to donate some money to his channel , I've gotten as much or more out of those add I have any other DVD training classes
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I just started watching these. Wow, this is awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I have watched a few of them but his love of IOR and the mil-dot reticle has always questioning why I watched them.

He is the nutnfancy of the bolt action rifle world on YT from what I have seen.  40min videos that could be 10min.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#26]
He is the nutnfancy of the bolt action rifle world on YT from what I have seen.  40min videos that could be 10min.
View Quote
I have to disagree.  There's something about nutnfancy that just rubs me the wrong way - not so with Rex.  Although you're right about them both being "long winded"!  With Rex, it's tolerable - not so with nutnfancy...  <IMO>
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
I have to disagree.  There's something about nutnfancy that just rubs me the wrong way - not so with Rex.  Although you're right about them both being "long winded"!  With Rex, it's tolerable - not so with nutnfancy...  <IMO>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Reorx:
I am not saying they aren't informative as I found the one describing the different types of lenses very interesting (long though), however, if I want shooting technique videos I look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I love his scope tests and reviews.  Sold me on the SWFA as a budget solution for my needs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#29]
...however, if I want shooting technique videos I look elsewhere.
View Quote
I definitely agree...  Rex's series has very little to do with actual "shooting technique"...  It's mostly theory, backgound, and to some degree, the voice of experience.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:28:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I have watched a few of them but his love of IOR and the mil-dot reticle has always questioning why I watched them.

View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#31]
bump
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:17:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#32]
For those unaware, Rex has started offering proper paid training. There's so far a classroom seminar that's 2 days and covers the bulk of Sniper101 plus gobs of other stuff. The classroom seminar is a prerequisite to taking the live fire class where folks will get properly squared away.  We had >80 people at Class 001 of RX17. There will probably be a similar number at Class 002. The first live fire class is sold out and a 2nd one is scheduled. For the cost of attending both classes you could buy a nice rifle. The money you'll save on bad decisions by attending and learning is enough to buy several rifles. If I'd have had this kind of training available 20 years ago I'd have saved enough money on the wrong equipment and wasted ammo to buy a new Corvette. In 5 minutes one speaker delivered 3 sentences that will save me thousands of bucks and improve my match scores. That was just 5 minutes. There were 2.2 days of info above that.

http://WWW.RexReviews.org and hit the training tab for deets.

Full Disclosure: I'm a sponsor/member of the RexReviews project. I do all of the ballistics table automation stuff for him. I do not receive any financial or other compensatory benefit from this association. It's purely voluntary and an expense on my part.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#33]
@ballisticxlr

It appears that Rex is promoting the Axial precision rifles here lately. I'll withhold opinion on those for the time being, but I do have a few questions/comments on his latest videos.

In his Axial Precision accuracy video, or at least in the comments, Rex stated that it was at 100yards. It honestly doesn't appear to be 100yards, especially when trying to measure the distance by counting the sheets of material used to make the "tunnel". Knowing that other targets downrange had been shot, it would have been nice for him to have zoomed in on the target prior to firing. Based on the recoil and surface he was firing from, I'm more than skeptical of the group he "shot" at 100 yards  It's far too easy to hang a target with an impressive group on it and then fire spoilers off target and later show the target as being the end result. He was able to zoom in nice and tight on the "100 yard" group though.

The next new video with the 2 ladies and the Axial Precision rifle had a similar vibe. No zooming in on the targets prior to firing and then targets with decent to great results are shown. Demonstrating that his 5 minute coaching session yielded great results. When Rex attempts to zoom in on a shot target, the camera isn't able to zoom in ANYWHERE close to what it did in the previous 100 yard video from a few weeks before. The same target was used, but the target when zoomed in occupies close to 50% less of the frame. I'm assuming that it's the same camera as it sounds the same while zooming and it isn't an upgrade in resolution from what I can see.

There's no doubt that he has put out a lot of videos and information, which has helped a lot of new shooters. That said, if he is using creative editing to promote his courses or other products, the kingdom that he's built could quickly fall. Maybe he isn't doing this, but a shot of the target prior to beginning the session with a continuos video would likely reduce skepticism.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#34]
These videos have shared so much knowledge that I wouldn't have known even how to search for.

I quite grateful that he produced these and my first time out at long range, I was comfortable and reliably getting first round hits at distance. I can't imagine how long it has taken him to create those videos and I would consider taking a class from him.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:40:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#35]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
@ballisticxlr

It appears that Rex is promoting the Axial precision rifles here lately. I'll withhold opinion on those for the time being, but I do have a few questions/comments on his latest videos.

In his Axial Precision accuracy video, or at least in the comments, Rex stated that it was at 100yards. It honestly doesn't appear to be 100yards, especially when trying to measure the distance by counting the sheets of material used to make the "tunnel". Knowing that other targets downrange had been shot, it would have been nice for him to have zoomed in on the target prior to firing. Based on the recoil and surface he was firing from, I'm more than skeptical of the group he "shot" at 100 yards  It's far too easy to hang a target with an impressive group on it and then fire spoilers off target and later show the target as being the end result. He was able to zoom in nice and tight on the "100 yard" group though.

The next new video with the 2 ladies and the Axial Precision rifle had a similar vibe. No zooming in on the targets prior to firing and then targets with decent to great results are shown. Demonstrating that his 5 minute coaching session yielded great results. When Rex attempts to zoom in on a shot target, the camera isn't able to zoom in ANYWHERE close to what it did in the previous 100 yard video from a few weeks before. The same target was used, but the target when zoomed in occupies close to 50% less of the frame. I'm assuming that it's the same camera as it sounds the same while zooming and it isn't an upgrade in resolution from what I can see.

There's no doubt that he has put out a lot of videos and information, which has helped a lot of new shooters. That said, if he is using creative editing to promote his courses or other products, the kingdom that he's built could quickly fall. Maybe he isn't doing this, but a shot of the target prior to beginning the session with a continuos video would likely reduce skepticism.
View Quote
Promoting? Can't really say that. I do know they were at the last RX17 seminar and made with some interesting info and their rifles are pretty fantastic. Like machined butter and with some very clever engineering that's not entirely obvious after even a detailed inspection. As far as the recent videos with Mrs. Rex and Casey, I wasn't there but I know the man and he doesn't play the kind of games you're talking about, at least in the several years of our association I've never one time encountered him being anything but ethical and honest. The Casey I know simply wouldn't be part of such shenanigans either. Rex and company tend to spend a great deal of time and effort on some videos but also do a lot of ad hoc recordings during casual hang out time so camera equipment is likely to vary from Casey's busted cell phone to some quite nice kit and videos aren't made with the idea of disproving someone calling BS. They're for education and/or entertainment mostly.

What I'm really seeing in your question is something of just plain doubt which is understandable in today's world. I'm sure Rex would show you the proverbial holes in his hands if that were possible and me adding my say so to the case isn't likely to assuage your concerns. That said, in the video below you've got me and my coach and the shooter, who we'll call CitizenV, in frame and my spotter taking the video we're watching. She's fired, up to and including this shot, 13 rounds in her life (this is her 2nd shot at this target). The target is a 36" plate at 900yrds. Probably have to turn it up to hear the ding and some may wish to skip to about 40 seconds in for the shot.

I gave her about 10 minutes of basic instruction before getting her on the rifle. Rex and I have very similar teaching styles and we teach basically the same stuff so it's a good analogue. After the quick instruction she was right into trigger time. I managed loading the rifle, operating the safety and dialing the elevation. V held windage according to my instructions. The idea in his video and this one is that with good instruction and some effort anyone can get into this very fun sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_ZK2Na55cU
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Oct 1 bump
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump for Snipage!  
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump for Snipage!  
View Quote
Bump to keep out of archive.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Just getting into the game, newbie to precision rifle, man is there ever a lot to learn.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Been watching him for a few years now. Excellent source of info, and a true contributor to the sport. Keep your note pad handy, hes full of info.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#41]
This is an old thread, but i'm going to be a voice of dissent and day there are better places to get your long range shooting knowledge.  I'm not going to turn this into mud slinging but anyone can PM me if they want more thoughts on why.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I just got back from his Rx Seminar.  I've watched his first 30 videos and the seminar follows them pretty close.  And that's good, because the videos are awesome.

I'm not sure what his military experience is, but his "practical" experience is excellent.  He grew up shooting grasshoppers with .22 pistols and having to kill a deer before his cousin did...and filled the tag.  And he's a brilliant man.  Anything "self-taught," he taught himself right.

Rex started college wanting to be a teacher of somekind, and it shows through.  He's a great teacher.  Very relatable and engaging.  Teaches at the right pace for his students.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Parliament:
I just got back from his Rx Seminar.  I've watched his first 30 videos and the seminar follows them pretty close.  And that's good, because the videos are awesome.

I'm not sure what his military experience is, but his "practical" experience is excellent.  He grew up shooting grasshoppers with .22 pistols and having to kill a deer before his cousin did...and filled the tag.  And he's a brilliant man.  Anything "self-taught," he taught himself right.

Rex started college wanting to be a teacher of somekind, and it shows through.  He's a great teacher.  Very relatable and engaging.  Teaches at the right pace for his students.
View Quote
Where did you take the class?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Parliament:

I'm not sure what his military experience is, but his "practical" experience is excellent.  
View Quote
What prompted you to take his class versus the class from other courses? I’m generally curious why ppl pay for his courses vs. going to some of the more established courses. Numerous facilities that host PRS matches have training that is given by world class shooters.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I went to Medora last week.  I chose him because I like his Sniper 101 vids and he's not an a hole.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

What prompted you to take his class versus the class from other courses? I'm generally curious why ppl pay for his courses vs. going to some of the more established courses. Numerous facilities that host PRS matches have training that is given by world class shooters.
View Quote
This is ne of my issues, he has no resume and doesn't compete.  You've got Ryan Castle, Scott Satterlee, Bryan Morgan, The team at K&M.  so many better options out there.  I've left a bunch out but there is no shortage of qualified guys out there who actually know what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
....he has no resume and doesn't compete.
View Quote
Yeah can't disagree with that. Some of his videos go down rabbit holes that are not really all that important IMO.

An F-Class match at the local club is $20 and people will give reasonably good advice for free. I can't see people that have much experience taking his classes.

B
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
This is ne of my issues, he has no resume and doesn't compete.  You've got Ryan Castle, Scott Satterlee, Bryan Morgan, The team at K&M.  so many better options out there.  I've left a bunch out but there is no shortage of qualified guys out there who actually know what they are talking about.
View Quote
Yup, you got the point I was making. There’s no creative editing when you’re on the clock and no “do overs”. Why wouldn’t you choose guys that are consistently placing in the top 25 in matches, for the same or less money?  Hell, if you bring Ryan some meal preps, you may even get a discount!

These guys know what they’re doing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#49]
These are some thoughts from a recent Reddit thread.  It really sums the whole thing up nicely.

https://www.reddit.com/r/longrange/comments/bxihhl/thoughts_on_sniper_101/eq7gkyr/

There is a podcast which touches on a lot of if too if you really want to get into the weeds.

https://longrangereddit.podbean.com/e/podcast-untitled-nonsense-with-uhollywoodsx/

Neither the post nor the podcast is my work, but sums up the issues nicely
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Great post!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top