Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2017 8:29:08 PM EDT
I've done a ton of reading on various bags and how to use them and yada yada yada.  There's a strong sentiment for exotic "sand" fillers in front bags, but I can't seem to find anything specific about bags that go in a windage rest, and that's a problem.

I have a 3" Bald Eagle rectangular front bag, like this:

Does it really matter what sand I use in it?  All it seems to need is a slightly moldable filler to allow it to support the "bag rider" portion of the fore end.

Any informative sources and/or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I use playground sand in my Bald Eagle bags. I have one of his original Slingshot Rests and I bought a complete set of bags at that time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I have tons of that stuff.  My rear bags (not a-list but usable) came pre-filled, so I didn't have a clue.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I just use #8 Shot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
What type of shooting are you doing?

For tactical long range, I really prefer bipod. For AR, I have found that the 30 round magazine is the best stabilizing rest.

Be careful with these rests if you do not have a free floated barrel. I found out the hard way that it is indeed possible to pull your rounds several feet off target if you are really wrenching down hard on the rest. The more inaccurate the gun was, the harder I held it... LOL
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:22:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mountaineer_Shootist] [#5]
If you have playground sand it will be fine.
I would suggest drying it before filling the bag. Just pour it in a shallow layer on some kind of a pan. Then place it in an oven at about 250 degrees until dry. Allow to cool and fill the bag.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mountaineer_Shootist:
If you have playground sand it will be fine.
I would suggest drying it before filling the bag. Just pour it in a shallow layer on some kind of a pan. Then place it in an oven at about 250 degrees until dry. Allow to cool and fill the bag.
View Quote
That's a great tip.  I have around 150 pounds of the stuff, but it's stored outdoors.  It's sheltered, but exposed to humidity.  Drying the stuff isn't something I'd thought about.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:38:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IMSHAKN] [#7]
Sand will work but poly fill does just as good with less weight. As long as it's something that gives you soft on hard contact you'll be fine. Bipods are better for front of rifles though bags have their place if shooting positional shots from barricades, etc.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have moon sand in my bag rest.  The results are out of this world.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ascold_asice742:
I have moon sand in my bag rest.  The results are out of this world.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I like to use plain crushed walnut media.  It's stable, moldable, and is so much lighter to carry - now that I'm old and decrepit..
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had shitty blow sand from the gun club land in my bags.  It's a bit fine it works but bleeds a minute amount of dust through the seams.  It's been filled 25 years now.

I have had a Caldwell with what appeared to be heavy sand.   Unfortunately the seam tore with the third shot from my .308 and I lost the sand and tossed the Chinese made shitbag.   Replaced it with a protector brand.  

Anecdotal.   Materiel makes a difference.   A couple weeks ago I was shooting my hornet on my rest and bag and during needed cool down periods I was shooting a rimfire on the club rest.   The club has super stout stainless steel tripod rests made by a member, awesome weight and construction and solid as heck.    They put some cheap vinyl foam filled front rest pads on them.  Might be Caldwell again.    Anyhow after a couple shots things looked like shit on paper.  Third shot and I noticed the rifle bounce on the foam bag.   I dry fired and got some bounce with the striker hit.    I was getting 3.5 inch groups at fifty yards with a rimfire ammo combo that was 1 moa capable.    That front rest was the culprit.   So just check your equipment if you use something other than sand or lead shot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I only use bipods, tripods, pack etc.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're shooting competition bench rest the heavy sand is worth your dime. Otherwise, No.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top