Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2016 12:38:21 AM EDT
Looking to get my Son-in-law one to build from!
I know nothing about them! (I'm building an AR-15 using a 100% lower.)
He has talked about it. One of the guys he works with has build one!
Just has not pulled the trigger! No pun intended!
So which one's should I look at?
No he has never build a firearm before! He is an engineer. He has build race cars!
And he is a bit anal in a good way! He does things precisely as they should be done.
As far as he is concerned any way!
And if this is in the wrong place. Please move it to the right place!
Thanks for the help!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
This seems like it would be better to ask your question here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/4_Build_It_Yourself.html

I also have some thoughts on that topic. The cost of an 80% lower is very cheap compared to the knowledge and effort that goes into building it into a complete rifle. For many people, it would make a poor gift idea unless specifically requested.

Also, while it is possible to build one with minimal tools, an engineer will probably want to use a mill for the machining. Since this is not something most people have in their home workshops, you should find out if using someone else's mill to manufacture a firearm would be a concern.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eric_75:
This seems like it would be better to ask your question here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/4_Build_It_Yourself.html

I also have some thoughts on that topic. The cost of an 80% lower is very cheap compared to the knowledge and effort that goes into building it into a complete rifle. For many people, it would make a poor gift idea unless specifically requested.

Also, while it is possible to build one with minimal tools, an engineer will probably want to use a mill for the machining. Since this is not something most people have in their home workshops, you should find out if using someone else's mill to manufacture a firearm would be a concern.
View Quote

Thanks for the info!!!
I was hoping he would do it all by hand! Slow and steady!
As for the mill part! He may have one at work?

PITA45
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Doing one by hand is an unrealistic expectation, some power tools will be involved.

Consider a Polymer 80 lower, they come with the jig and drill & milling bits so all you need to provide is the power tool.

It would be best done in a milling machine, acceptable to do in a drill press, and tho difficult it could be done with a hand drill followed by hand finishing with files or other tools.

Also consider ending more sentences with periods instead of exclamations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top