Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2016 7:30:21 PM EDT
So I've recently been bitten by the long range bug, and started stretching my Savage 10 in 308 out a little further.  I work for a Sheriff's Office, so routinely have 300yd range at my disposal, and multiple times a year I can head to my buddy's camp and shoot out to 800yds.  I'm wanting to start logging data for my shots, but want to make my own data book.

What data is important to log for a shot? I do not have a weather station of any kind yet, but do eventually plan on getting a Kestrel or one of the devices for my phone that will do it for me.  I can get approximate temperatures, and I might be able to bring a hygrometer to the camp, but nothing too high tech.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
these are the pages i made and had printed out and spiral bound at a local university printer for $1 / book.  I had 50 books made for $50.  that was probably back in 2003 or so.  
i'd do it a little different if i were doing it over, but it'd be basically the same.    i did my own because this lets me keep track of load data and results.  
The sniper data books never had handload info because they use factory ammo, and the HP data books had giant bullseyes where you were expected to plot your shots.  also, because i'm left handed, and i wanted the books spiral bound on the right side.

Since then, there are some other guys who have done similar stuff, probably a little better than mine.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:44:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#2]
I'd actually recommend just a dozen 5x8 index cards and write down the data that you use to make your shots.
As your ability develops, maybe then you could standardize a log book, but early on I've seen too many get wrapped up in the book game, waste time filling out all the boxes, and only referring to about 4-6 pieces of recorded information

Data that I'd recommend starting with: date, velocity, ambient temperature, wind speed and direction
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top