Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
^^^ That's a really good post.

Essentially you're mounting your scope offset from the centerline of the bore.

Even 5 degrees adds .1 mil of wind, making left/right winds have different values.
View Quote
Again, this is correct IF the reticle is mounted level to the rifle. If it is mounted level to the natural point of aim of the shooter this is not the case. This stuff is not difficult. I can get into the physics and start breaking this down mathematically all too well if someone really wants to go down this path. I'm well aware of the the different points of view that individuals have with this stuff. However it all comes down to physics which do not change and the calculations of the deviations that are created when a dial or hold is required and the reticle is at an off axis angle due to the force imparted on the trajectory of a bullet by the force of gravity. Nowhere am I advocating canting the reticle in relation to the vertical plane when it comes time to fire as only the rifle is being held at a cant of 5 degrees or whatever you will. The reticle is still level!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By IMSHAKN:
Again, this is correct IF the reticle is mounted level to the rifle. If it is mounted level to the natural point of aim of the shooter this is not the case. This stuff is not difficult. I can get into the physics and start breaking this down mathematically all too well if someone really wants to go down this path. I'm well aware of the the different points of view that individuals have with this stuff. However it all comes down to physics which do not change and the calculations of the deviations that are created when a dial or hold is required and the reticle is at an off axis angle due to the force imparted on the trajectory of a bullet by the force of gravity. Nowhere am I advocating canting the reticle in relation to the vertical plane when it comes time to fire as only the rifle is being held at a cant of 5 degrees or whatever you will. The reticle is still level!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
^^^ That's a really good post.

Essentially you're mounting your scope offset from the centerline of the bore.

Even 5 degrees adds .1 mil of wind, making left/right winds have different values.
By all means, post the math.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#3]
Yes, let's see it...

----

I think we get what you are saying, we just don't agree with your choice of priorities - natural point of aim versus level sight and rifle.

I'm biased in part from cutting my teeth in service rifle competition with M14s and M1A, where the sight is level with the rifle.  

But...let's also consider the offset M84 scope on the M1C and M1D Garands, as an extreme example of what you are talking about.   With about a 1.25" offset, the standard practice was to zero them at 300 yards, so that the error past the zero range didn't become excessive.   If you zeroed it at 100 yards instead, you'd be 1.25" right at 200 yards, 2.5" right at 200 yards, etc out to 600 yards where you'd be 7.5" right.  Zeroing at 300 yards reduced that angular error by 2/3rds, keeping the error to an acceptable level.  Despite all the internet legend, an M1C or M1D was generally capable of reliably hitting man sized targets only out to about 500-600 yards with issued ammunition, so a 300 yard basic zero worked well with a 600 yard practical maximum range.

Now, unless you're canting the rifle to an extreme angle, your offset will be a less, and if you establish your basic zero at a mid range distance, the angular error will be reduced, or perhaps more accurately stated, averaged out more evenly across the range.

But that also assumes that your cant angle will be consistent from shot to shot, and yes natural point of aim will help with that, but if not, you've not got both an angular error and a canting error in play.

I still prefer to just set my scope up level with the rifle, and then tweak the stock, butt plate and cheek rest as needed to get a natural point of aim that's also consistent with a level rifle.

Additionally, when shooting off a bipod or bag in the field, natural point of aim isn't quite the issue it is when you're shooting offhand, sitting and prone on a target range.  But of equal importance is the reality that when shooting from prone, sitting, and off hand positions, with or without sling pressure, your natural point of aim is going to vary.  So you've now got a number of possible canting angles conforming to a number of possible field shooting positions.

It's just easier to eliminate that variable and set the scope and rifle up for a level condition and then use a bubble level to achieve that level condition in whatever position you happen to be shooting based on the situation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys are so over thinking this. I shoot my 22-250 to over 700 yards all the time. Just zero it at 500 yards, hold dead nuts and just walk your rounds in tell you get a hit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#5]
OK Gurus, this is my, perhaps over simplified, understanding of the phenomenon of reticle cant >>>

So, am I on the right track or do I have my head up my a$$?!?!?  (be gentle, I'm new at this whole long range thing - although not new to geometry or trigonometry - although maybe a bit rusty!)

The bottom line is that the greater the elevation correction you are dialling in, the more you want to avoid reticle cant.  This is why I think it is best to put a bubble level on the scope tube not on the rifle, or the base, or the anything other than the scope tube...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RePp:
You guys are so over thinking this. I shoot my 22-250 to over 700 yards all the time. Just zero it at 500 yards, hold dead nuts and just walk your rounds in tell you get a hit.
View Quote
Well...that's one way to do it.

The downside is that the probability of a first round hit ends up being really low, and it's not exactly what I would call precision shooting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
/...The bottom line is that the greater the elevation correction you are dialling in, the more you want to avoid reticle cant.  This is why I think it is best to put a bubble lever on the scope tube not on the rifle, or the base, or the anything other than the scope tube...
View Quote
You are spot on that the greater the elevation correction required, the greater the potential canting error, if the reticle and the scope adjustments are not truly vertical.

The second part is the issue that gets contentious.

One group will suggest setting up the rifle so that the optical center of the scope and reticle is directly over the bore, so that the vertical cross hair is in the same vertical plane as the center of the bore.  Those folks will advocate mounting the bubble level so that it is level to the rifle (regardless of whether the level is mounted on the scope base, on the rings or on the scope itself.

The other group will say that all that matters is that the cross hair is vertical.  That tends to limit the bubble level options somewhat, as you can't use the scope base, and the amount of cant angle you can accommodate with a ring mounted level is limited, which leave mounting it on the scope tube itself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
One group will suggest setting up the rifle so that the optical center of the scope and reticle is directly over the bore, so that the vertical cross hair is in the same vertical plane as the center of the bore.  Those folks will advocate mounting the bubble level so that it is level to the rifle (regardless of whether the level is mounted on the scope base, on the rings or on the scope itself.
View Quote
The amount of error introduced by the optical center not being exactly above the bore center is far smaller that my shot to shot marksmanship uncertainty at long range type distances!  To quote Dirty Harry - "A man's gotta know his limitations!!!  LOL!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:59:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IMSHAKN] [#9]
When I get some time I'll run some numbers, but I'll drop a video Frank Gali over at Sniper's Hide made a couple years ago in response to some of the discussions centering around this. It's not as big of a deal as people are making so long as the scope is being held vertical so that gravity is not acting against your hold or elevation adjustment. When talking about canting the rifle to natural point of aim vs the vertical axis of the rifle we are generally talking only a degree or two. If I had two identical scope and mount setups I'd go run my AI out at distance and go shoot this and post the videos of the results. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCoHG23TQcY
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Well...that's one way to do it.

The downside is that the probability of a first round hit ends up being really low, and it's not exactly what I would call precision shooting.
View Quote
First round hits are for suckers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RePp:

First round hits are for suckers.
View Quote
I found that when you stop accepting people's excuses, they start making hits.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#12]

I found that when you stop accepting people's excuses, they start making hits.
View Quote
I've found that if you don't miss you hit....
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:31:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#13]
In what way does that happen if the reticle is being held level? Please tell me how the scope can defy physics in that case if the reticle is level and the turrets are tracking? There is a reason top rifle shooters don't worry about making the reticle level with rifle.

We've been over this so many times on snipers hide where I spend my time online and go by a different user name. Plenty of experts in the precision world have debated this one many times with old school and newer shooters.
View Quote
You are offsetting the center of the barrel left or right to the center of your scope. So when you zero at 100yds you have to dial that windage offset out. Now any shooting past you zero will have that windage to the oposite direction.

I made this to show windage error at different rifle cants under a plumb scope.
So below with a 2" mount height if you cant the rifle 2° under a plumb scope you will offset the bore .070" left or right of the scope. You will have to dial this offset out at 100yds, it happens to be .07moa. Now every shot after your zero will have .07moa windage error built in to the oposite side.

To make it easier to imagine, mount the scope to the side of the rifle @3oclock. The bore will be 2"to the left of the scope center. The impacts would be about 2" left of the point of aim. If you zero the rifle you have created a triangle between the bore, scope and intersecting at the 100yd target. Past 100yds that angle will continue on, impacts will be farther and farther right of aim as the distance grows. Pretty simple.

I personally don't get too picky about making the rifle perfectly plumb.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ziarifleman] [#14]
Oh, there's some maths.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#15]
If you can figure out the scope offset from the bore you can put that in your ballistic calc and it will compensate for the windage error.

For example, from my drawing above, the 15° rifle cant is .536 offset I put that in my calc for my scope offset.

Here you can see with no wind or spin drift the calc compensated for 900 yards worth of that .5moa windage error past the 100yd zero.
9 x .51moa= 4.8"
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#16]
The center of the bore does not have a single fixed horizontal and vertical axis.

The bore is circular, whether the weapon is canted 15 degrees, 35 degrees, or completely upside down, the center of the bore does not change.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I always just eyeball it and never had any problems, haha. But yeah sometimes I'll use a level on top of my scope to make sure it's straight. 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mister_H:
The center of the bore does not have a single fixed horizontal and vertical axis.

The bore is circular, whether the weapon is canted 15 degrees, 35 degrees, or completely upside down, the center of the bore does not change.
View Quote
True, but scope mechanics assume they are mounted perpendicular to the bore.

If you go port up on a target at 100 yards, from a normal 100 yard zero, what's your difference in POI vs POA?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:31:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_H] [#19]

If you go port up on a target at 100 yards, from a normal 100 yard zero, what's your difference in POI vs POA?
View All Quotes

Depends what your height over bore is.

ETA: I thought this was GD for a second, I was going to get theoretical for the sake of rustling jimmies.

Unless you're going to drill and tap new holes in your receiver to adjust your base to your natural shooting position cant, there will be an effect.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:57:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By urbankaos04:
Found this: Levelling your scope to the fall of gravity.
View Quote
No rebuttal to this?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Guess not.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_H] [#22]
No rebuttal to this?
View All Quotes
Found this: Levelling your scope to the fall of gravity.
No rebuttal to this?
If it is canted there will be a slight effect.

Here is an exaggeratedly canted illustration with a leveled scope. Courtesy MSPaint.

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I use feeler gauges. They work great.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I've used a Segway leveler to level off the rifle, and a bright flashlight with a plumb/level line on a piece of white paper or cardboard against the wall to plumb/level the scope reticle, when I help a buddy we just use a torpedo level against the wall.  My cheapo gun vise makes it all pretty easy . Then I'll confirm everything with the Segway and scope mounted bubble level.  YMMV 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#25]

ETA: I thought this was GD for a second, I was going to get theoretical for the sake of rustling jimmies.

Unless you're going to drill and tap new holes in your receiver to adjust your base to your natural shooting position cant, there will be an effect.
View All Quotes

I covered this in great detail above.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
Brick walls and roof lines are good sources of true to earth level lines but you need to be perpendicular to wall/roof line. If the rifle is supported in a level position then view a brick wall or roof line to check reticle level. I usually set receiver on a level and shim to get it level. 
View Quote
I agree perpendicular is a nicer setup for viewing, but does it really matter?  Level is level.  if I verify the top of a fence is level, does it matter if I'm offset by 20 degrees?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a little picky when it comes to leveling the scope.

1. I start by leveling the rifle.  This requires a level surface on the rifle.  The scope base can work, provided the receiver has been drilled and tapped so that the holes are on the centerline of the receiver. That's not always the case.    Sometimes a tang will work.  Sometimes you'll need to remove the rifle from the stock and use the bottom of the receiver, etc.

2. I then install the rings and check to see that the tops of the bottom halves of the rings are also level. If they are not, and the receiver is level, it tells me the receiver was not D&Td on center.  If the tops of the rings are level, I can put the rifle back in the stock and proceed from there.

3.  I then install the scope in the rings and adjust it fore and aft in the rings as needed to get optimum eye relief to accomodate prone, sitting and off hand positions.

4.  I level the cross hairs.  Some people use a level placed on the adjustment turret, and it's better than nothing.  However, the scope turret top however may not be completely parallel to the horizontal cross hair.  It works for ball parking the leveling of the scope but you need to use a plumb line to get it right.

You can use the edge of an interior wall except not all walls are as square as you'd think.  For example, I did some remodeling in the bathroom to remove the unused tub and replace with a large shower and removed the small shower and converted it to closet. I discovered that the top and bottom of the wall was 1/2" out of plumb, and had to order the mirrored closet doors cut accordingly.

The side of a building works better, on average, but you still have no guarantee of perfection.  You can also use a bubble level and draw a plumb line, but that introduces some variance based on how accurate the level is built and how skillful you are in interpolating the location of the centered bubble (it's how walls get 1/2" out of plumb in the first place).

Ideally you'll use a plumb line.  This is just a piece of string or mason line with a weight at the bottom, hung so that it can swing freely.   Gravity does the rest and gives you a line that is truly vertical.

Using a plumb line, and with the rifle level, I rotate the scope in the rings until the vertical cross hair is parallel to the plumb line. Then, I tighten the rings evenly, checking to ensure that the vertical cross hair remains parallel to the plumb line and the rifle remains level, while I snug and then torque the screws on the rings.

5.  I verify that the line of sight is located directly over the centerline of the bore by looking into a mirror with a plumb line in front of it. The vertical cross hair should pass precisely through reflection of the center of the muzzle and the center of the scope objective lens, while the rifle is level.

If you've got limited time and resources (no level, etc)  and/or a rifle action that is hard to level, this is the best shortcut method to getting a leveled rifle and scope.  You can hang a plumb line in front of the mirror and then use it to verify the crosshair is vertical when passing through the center of the muzzle and the center of the scope objective lens.  This also ensures the rifle is level, as what matters is the relationship of the line of sight to the centerline of the bore.  It's reliant on a calibrated eye ball, but properly and carefully done it will produce a very accurate result.  

Where this will not work is on a rifle with an offset scope, like the M1C and M1D Garand sniper rifles.

6.  On a high quality scope the cross hairs should be perpendicular to each other and the reticle should be square with the elevation and windage adjustments.  Determining they are perpendicular can be done visually before installing the scope as it is usually pretty obvious looking though the scope if the horizontal and vertical cross hairs are not at a 90 degree angle to one another.

However, you will need to do a box test at the range to verify that the reticle is aligned with the adjustments.

A box test involves zeroing the rifle and then starting in the lower left hand corner of a large piece of paper.   Place a target dot in the corner and shoot a 5 shot group to confirm the zero.  Then crank in the windage adjustment needed to traverse the point of impact to the lower right hand corner.   There are three things you are looking for:

a) Verification that the adjustment distance is correct.   For example, if I added 20 MOA of right windage, I want to see 20.9"  of movement in the center of the group on the target at 100 yards.
b) Verification that the scope is level, and that the windage adjustment is square to the reticle. A straight line drawn between the center of the first group and the second group should be level.
c) Verification that there is no hysteresis in the windage adjustment (usually caused by back lash in the adjustment screw.  The second group should be nice and round like the first.  If you see horizontal stringing with the first couple shots landing short of the group center, it suggests backlash, where it takes a couple shots for the newly adjusted reticle to come to rest against the same screw face.   For me, this is the kiss of death for a scope and it'll be sent in for repair, returned or sold as the situation dictates.  I have no use for a scope with back lash in the adjustments.

You then dial in the vertical adjustment as needed to reach the top right hand corner of the target and shoot a third group.  You're looking for the same three items as you were in the second group: correct distance for the elevation adjustment used (I use 30 MOA on a B-27 target - more is better and will magnify any errors present); verification of a level scope and alignment of reticle and adjustments as evidenced by the 3rd group being directly above the 2nd group; and no indications of back lash in the adjustment.

Then return the windage adjustment to zero and shoot a 4th group.  This should be directly over the first group, with no indications of back lash in that direction.

Finally, return the elevation adjustment to zero and shoot a final group.  This should overlay the first group, with no drift in POI, and no indications of back lash.

Once you've shot all five 5 shot groups, you should have a square or rectangle with 90 degree angles between all the sides  If the resulting square or rectangle tilts to one side or the other, it indicates the elevation and windage adjustments are not square to the reticle. In that case, you'll want to rotate the scope the same number of degrees to correct the tilt and repeat the test.

A couple degrees of difference is unfortunately pretty normal even on a high end scope but you are much better off leveling to the adjustments than to the reticle.   If you don't correct for this, all your elevation adjustments will result in a slight windage change, and vice versa.  This will mean the vertical cross hair is a couple degrees off vertical when the rifle is level, however, in the real world, the local horizon will often not be level anyway, so you're not really losing much.   If use a scope level on the upper rear ring, you can still verify the rifle is level on long shots more effectively anyway.

If you get a parallelogram where the angles are not 90 degrees, you've either got some cant in the rifle because you've improperly leveled the rifle ratline to the scope, or you've got internal scope adjustments that are not perpendicular to one another.   The former can be fixed but the latter cannot and will mean you are always going to get both a horizontal and vertical vector any time you make a windage or elevation adjustment.  That's another prime candidate for a return for repair, return or sale as the situation dictates.
View Quote
comprehensive
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Meh, how every you level it, you won't know until you shoot a tall target test if it is actually right...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#29]

No rebuttal to this?
View Quote
Bad link.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top