Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2014 10:54:28 PM EDT
Just wondering what rear bag recommendations I can get for my precision rifle?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I jean or carhart pant leg filled with poly pellets and sewn shut.

Cheaper than anything you can buy and will work just as well.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:08:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#2]
Old sock full of rice or bb's  
I also have a triad tactical wedge.  

Both have their place and uses

The sock. You can't beat it and it works. If you tear it or lose it, who cares? Take five minutes and make a new one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I jean or carhart pant leg filled with poly pellets and sewn shut.
Cheaper than anything you can buy and will work just as well.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/DSC00535.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I've tried a few and ended up with the Rifles Only FTW.  It's stable and filled so it's pretty stiff so once I get it adjusted it stays put.  I think the pant leg would be very similar.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:46:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#5]
I have several and frankly, the best bag for you depends entirely on what you're doing and what type of stock you have.  

without getting into brands, i'll say a few things that should be obvious, some maybe not so much
- for bench use, heavier is better.   i prefer hobby sand you get from places like hobby lobby, sewn into a bag made from spandex.
- for field use, lighter is better    i prefer the poly micro beads in a heavy duty cordura bag of a rectangular shape
- for chassis with narrow butts (whiskey3, rock solid, XLR, etc), a full bag is better as it is stiffer and will support the stock
- for traditional stocks with wider flat bottoms designed to run on bags, 50%-75% fill is better as it gives you a wider range of movement
- for benchrest where you want the gun to slide, a material that is slippery or that you can apply talc to is best
- for practical/field use, friction is less important, but you wnat something that won't get destroyed by water/mud/etc and you want a strap in both directions

if i get time later, i will try to take some pics and provide a post about how to use the straps and why rectangular, etc
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I own several as well.

My #1 bag is an Accuracy First bag which I bought from Larue. Second would be a smaller caldwell, then various others that rarely get pulled out now.

Fact of the matter is, different bags will work for different situations. If you wanna save money, just make one or two. They'll do the same thing!
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have several but the wedge and what's now the Red Tach small pillow get the most use.

Triad
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By taliv:
I have several and frankly, the best bag for you depends entirely on what you're doing and what type of stock you have.  

without getting into brands, i'll say a few things that should be obvious, some maybe not so much
- for bench use, heavier is better.   i prefer hobby sand you get from places like hobby lobby, sewn into a bag made from spandex.
- for field use, lighter is better    i prefer the poly micro beads in a heavy duty cordura bag of a rectangular shape
- for chassis with narrow butts (whiskey3, rock solid, XLR, etc), a full bag is better as it is stiffer and will support the stock
- for traditional stocks with wider flat bottoms designed to run on bags, 50%-75% fill is better as it gives you a wider range of movement
- for benchrest where you want the gun to slide, a material that is slippery or that you can apply talc to is best
- for practical/field use, friction is less important, but you wnat something that won't get destroyed by water/mud/etc and you want a strap in both directions
View Quote

Pretty good advice, but I'd preface it with: Just get something you like. There could be a light weight bag that seems great according to your list, but doesn't crush enough in my hand so I won't use it.

Personally.... I think in a bag you should have

- Light-ish
- Waterproof
- Only as large as needed
- Adjustable fill

But I pick my gear for field use.

I really like this one from CrossTac http://www.crosstac.com/shop-all-products/tactical-rear-squeeze-bag-pre-filled/  it fills all requirements for me. Mostly it's small, cheap, and well built. I used some big ass bags for classes and hated them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
cheep, look at midway....

i made made my self, some with polyfil, other with feed corn... they all work..
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Per the responses above, make sure that you have a bag that works for you.

APPLICATION!
Given that I shoot about every form of Precision Long Range application, per above I have rear bags that work the best for any given application. Smaller, Lighter, More Adaptable for the Practical/Tactical stuff. Larger, Heavier, Dedicated for the Bench/Prone stuff.

DESIGN!
Make sure that the bag design works well with your stock design. A flat/parallel bottom stock is going to interface with a bag differently than an angled bottom stock.

If you work through the process, you should be able to figure out what will be your best bet.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Make your own... you can order bulk Poly Plastic Pellets off EBay... and get camo cloth from a local craft store.  The Para Cord is cheap and can be found just about anywhere.  The best thing is you can make a hell of a lot of bags for little money as compared to commercial offerings.  I've been using these for a while now, including loaning them to students in class... they have held up GREAT.

I made perhaps 20 various size bags with I think a 30lb. bulk order of poly beads and the fabric was only $8 or $9 a yard on sale... a yard makes a hell of a lot of bags.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By captrichardson:
Per the responses above, make sure that you have a bag that works for you.

APPLICATION!
Given that I shoot about every form of Precision Long Range application, per above I have rear bags that work the best for any given application. Smaller, Lighter, More Adaptable for the Practical/Tactical stuff. Larger, Heavier, Dedicated for the Bench/Prone stuff.

DESIGN!
Make sure that the bag design works well with your stock design. A flat/parallel bottom stock is going to interface with a bag differently than an angled bottom stock.

If you work through the process, you should be able to figure out what will be your best bet.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
View Quote

Your the only other person I've seen with the Badger Bone.  It's more useful as a padded bag off of sticks or a ledge, but it's usefull nonetheless.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Multi-G:

Your the only other person I've seen with the Badger Bone.  It's more useful as a padded bag off of sticks or a ledge, but it's usefull nonetheless.
View Quote

My partner in a precision class had some. Needed two to make them work as a rear bag. I didn't really get it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have several but the wedge and what's now the Red Tach small pillow get the most use.

Triad
View Quote

I, admittedly, haven't used a lot of different bags but I'm really liking the Triad wedge as well.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#16]
A little off subject, but are there different sizes of poly fill and if so, what size are you using for your bags?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]
i started a new thread with some more pics and explanation

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_6/700_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Just swung by the military surplus store today.  Purchased a ACU zippered bag for $2.99.  It came with straps but would also sew a para chord loop.  My poly pellet beads should on their way from Walmart online.  I just might dye the bag first Dark Green.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I use a TAB rear bag and it works well for me. I would have sewn my own, but don't own a sewing machine, and don't have the time to sit there and stitch it by hand, so the $20 price on the bag was ok with me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By tx1021:

I, admittedly, haven't used a lot of different bags but I'm really liking the Triad wedge as well.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/Tx1021/477235d0-78af-4b17-a213-03e127743125_zps5ae3732f.jpg?t=1416358790

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Triad

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/Tx1021/477235d0-78af-4b17-a213-03e127743125_zps5ae3732f.jpg?t=1416358790

I use the wedge in a different orientation. I place the wide end towards the front of the stock and the tapered end towards the rear so the incline of the wedge matches the incline of the bottom of the stock. I find the stock is more fully supported that way. Pulling the bag to the rear will drop the muzzle, and pushing it to the front will raise the muzzle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:13:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: captrichardson] [#22]
Cal has the bag data up from the PRS on the Precision Rifle Blog:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/12/30/best-shooting-bags/

Very good review of what is out there, and some of the way that they are being used.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I use a Str8 Laced rear bag myself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Think I am going to go the route of making a bunch, my wife is good a sewing so I will have her make me a few!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I make my own, they are in the shape of a cylinder.  I have played around with the fill and have settled on airsoft BB's.  The poly fill was great but it took quite a bit to fill the bags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:10:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilkyJohnson] [#26]
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I get a big zip lock, fill it with rice and put it inside a Crown Royal bag. It's ghetto but it works. Country boy can survive and all that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I just use an old boot sock filled with rice.  Works fine for me. Cheap too.  The boot sock is basically free if you've worn it out or lost the other sock in the pair, the rice is like $1 a bag. I'm too cheap to spend $20+ on a bag.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:15:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Just picked this up, anyone use it before? American Mountain Supply
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SilkyJohnson:
I like my triad tapered bag.

https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tapered-Rear-Bag.html
View Quote

I picked one up based off your post and really do like it for bench and prone.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Lexington:
I use the wedge in a different orientation. I place the wide end towards the front of the stock and the tapered end towards the rear so the incline of the wedge matches the incline of the bottom of the stock. I find the stock is more fully supported that way. Pulling the bag to the rear will drop the muzzle, and pushing it to the front will raise the muzzle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lexington:

Triad

That's how I use mine as well.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:22:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By wayne1one:
Just picked this up, anyone use it before? American Mountain Supply
View Quote

I also just grabbed a Multicam one. Interested to test it against my FTW bag. Seems like a good bag in dry fire runs
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I make my own with poly pellets/doll fill found at local arts and crafts stores or the internet. They are lighter than sand or fish tank small rocks and unlike rice or beans the poly pellets won't get mushy when wet or attract pests. I pour them into a sock then fold over and sew it. You don't want to over fill it as you want room to be able to squeeze to adjust elevation or settle into a position. Then I put that sock into another and do the same and then shoe goo over the threads to protect. Cheap and easy to make. One thing I started doing a few years back is to sew on a piece of 550 cord so I can loop it over the stock and hook it on my stock pack so it stays with the rifle if I need to move alot in a stage of fire. Below are some pics.
<a href="http://s23.photobucket.com/user/Rob01/media/P1010475.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/Rob01/P1010475.jpg</a>
You don't have to be a master seamstress to do this. Just basic sewing to hold it together.
<a href="http://s23.photobucket.com/user/Rob01/media/P1010476.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/Rob01/P1010476.jpg</a>

You can see the bag hanging off my rifle after the stage of fire
<a href="http://s23.photobucket.com/user/Rob01/media/5759352674_ab2e3be2c0_o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/Rob01/5759352674_ab2e3be2c0_o.jpg</a>
View Quote

I like this idea a lot. I may try this tonight.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#34]
A guy on fb is making them custom to order. He goes by sarge's shooting bags. I gave him the size I wanted and the clothe pattern. I just ordered a barricade pad from him.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:57:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#35]
I just made one a few weeks ago and used corn cob media as filler.  I made a few with rice but realized that having them get wet could be a bad thing.

The best part was figuring out what to do with the hook next to the hinge on my AIAE
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Pony beads in panty hose. Fill to size in a foot, twist 3 or 4 turns, fold back over, repeat about 10 times before tying a knot. It weighs next to nothing, does not soak up water. It can shake dry in a few seconds.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I love my wilderness bag.  I have two of them and can't beat the quality.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I use a heavy sock filled with airsoft BB's
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I use old socks filled with vase beads that you can find at craft stores. Two bags of vase beads for my large sand socks, one bag for smaller ones. If you use GI socks, fill it up, tie it up as tight as possible, then double the excess sock back over the bag. The small vase beads I use are about the size of rice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#41]
For field use I just use a sock.  For bench use I use a pair of bags that I made myself, it's not that tough and I just added the features that I find useful i.e. strap and tie-down anchors.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:28:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#42]
For benchrest:

When rabbit ear bags are disallowed or for more casual shooting:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top