Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2015 11:53:07 PM EDT
What are some torque spec recommendations for action screws, bases and rings?
Ive seen numbers all over the place so wondering what everyone else is using.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I typically use 15 in lbs for ring caps, 25 in lbs for the base, for stocks I'd refer to the manufacturer.  Of course if your particular brand recommends something else thats what you should use.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CIB:
I typically use 15 in lbs for ring caps, 25 in lbs for the base, for stocks I'd refer to the manufacturer.  Of course if your particular brand recommends something else thats what you should use.
View Quote

I have a 700 in an HS precision stock been using 45 in lbs but have read people using up to 65
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
HS-P recommends 65 in/lbs for action screws.
Base
#6 screws ~ 12-15 in/lbs
#8 screws ~ 18-22 in/lbs

Scope rings I seem to vary quite a bit depending on application and manufacturer.

Ranging from my 35mm IORs were 12 in/lbs to my ARCs which are 55 in/lbs (1screw)

Ring to base screws/ nuts 55-65 in/lbs.

For the most part torque are based on the fastener size which can be found online.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
HS-P recommends 65 in/lbs for action screws.
Base
#6 screws ~ 12-15 in/lbs
#8 screws ~ 18-22 in/lbs

Scope rings I seem to vary quite a bit depending on application and manufacturer.

Ranging from my 35mm IORs were 12 in/lbs to my ARCs which are 55 in/lbs (1screw)

Ring to base screws/ nuts 55-65 in/lbs.

For the most part torque are based on the fastener size which can be found online.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Remington says 45 inch pounds for aluminum floor plates, 65 inch pounds for steel bottom metal.

YMMV and an all that but that's what they teach at armorers class.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Torque Values: ALL INCH POUNDS
<o:p></o:p>

Rings

Aluminum rings screws = 10-15 in/lbs

Steel ring screws = 15-20 in/lbs

Base screws = 14 in/lbs

Ring Cross Bolts = 65 in/lbs

Action Screws

Wood =25-30 in/lbs

Laminate = 25-40 in/lbs

Fiberglass = 30-40 in/lbs

Aluminum = 50-60 in/lbs

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently formed a list of several firearms manufactures, along with optic, receiver and scope rings. It appears to me that almost every manufacture is slightly different and there are different torque weights if you set the weight for a dry screw or wet, as well as torque weights for different metals.

Obviously my recommendation is to contact the specific companies to get the correct weight. I found they are more then happy to help too.

JHT

For God and Country
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I use whatever the manufacturer of the item calls for.

On my Ruger mark 2 I've read a billion different numbers that people claim improved it's accuracy but I haven't played with it to see, some even claiming that changing the order of tightening improves accuracy.

I set them by the book and shoot since I haven't really dialed it in enough to know what the screws will do for it.

First time I used a torque wrench on a scope I was shocked at how much torque those little screws can take, I had always been under-tightening them as well as action screws.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Use what the manufacturer calls for.  I'll give you an example why.  Think of action screws and your stock.  Torque specs are meant to provide a consistent means of measuring clamping force between two different objects held together by a screw or bolt.  The design of those objects determine what force is needed to keep them together.

A wood stock for instance is not going to mate to a steel receiver under force the same way as a fiberglass stock or an aluminum chassis.  The interaction between the steel, aluminum, fiberglass or wood are all different and require different torque specs.....even though in every case we are talking about action screws.

So using one size fits all torque specs is not a good idea.  Go by what the manufacturer suggests.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
What's more important than the absolute level of torque is the consistency. If there are manufacturer recommendations, use them, but understand that a.) Torque specifications are generally made in order to establish a certain level of pretension, b.) the vast majority of consumer-grade torque wrenches have extremely high relative uncertainties (typically +- 10% for a GOOD wrench), and c.) even if you were using a very good torque wrench, the relationship between torque and pretension is pretty spotty, and that with lubricated threads, etc. In all honesty, if you want consistent pretension, the turn-of-nut method is much more consistent than a torque wrench (but the mfgs won't have spec'd an amount to turn).
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
What's more important than the absolute level of torque is the consistency. If there are manufacturer recommendations, use them, but understand that a.) Torque specifications are generally made in order to establish a certain level of pretension, b.) the vast majority of consumer-grade torque wrenches have extremely high relative uncertainties (typically +- 10% for a GOOD wrench), and c.) even if you were using a very good torque wrench, the relationship between torque and pretension is pretty spotty, and that with lubricated threads, etc. In all honesty, if you want consistent pretension, the turn-of-nut method is much more consistent than a torque wrench (but the mfgs won't have spec'd an amount to turn).
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top