Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2015 9:54:37 PM EDT
I put this AR together several years ago, but have never shot this one past 150 yards or so. Budget, as in low budget is the key here. I realize the effects of said low budget. This set up has been very accurate and reliable for thousands of rounds. I even let several yo-yo's use it for an AR crossover class I was running years ago. Not a single problem over 3 days.

16" 1/8 heavy stainless green mountain barrel 5.56 middy
LaRue M16 bcg
Full float hand guard
'Smoothed' AR fcg and springs
3-12 scope
Caldwell rest
Spoting scope
100 yard range
Nosler custom match 69gr hpbt
Hand load Speer 70gr spbt 24grn varget

Plan is to zero the noslers at 100 and then 'simulate' 200, 300, 400 & 500 by using moa guesstimates from ballistic charts to create a cheat sheet dope sheet. Then shoot some hand loads for comparison. I only rolled up 50 rounds to sample.

Crazy plan?

500 yard shoot is in a few weeks. Thought I would 'warm up' tomorrow. I have unlimited free access to the range, but only 80 rounds of the nosler.

This is for fun and experience. Not for competition.

Thoughts, ideas and criticisms are welcome.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say yes. Are you shooting to determine the accuracy of the rifle or what is best fed to it? Or are you testing your own capabilities? It seems to me that you are good to go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By diaz_aa:
I would say yes. Are you shooting to determine the accuracy of the rifle or what is best fed to it? Or are you testing your own capabilities? It seems to me that you are good to go.
View Quote

Yes, yes and yes.

Just trying to get my feet wet. I realize my budget and combo will not allow me to 'compete' on any level. Just trying to get some experience.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:09:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: diaz_aa] [#3]
I would shoot (10 shots) of both at 100, then move straight to 500. Shoot all of one, while documenting then shoot the other. You might be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. Report back with your findings, positive or negative.

ETA: Obviously adjust sights as necessary, don't just Kentucky wind it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
No, that is the word which comes to mind. I am not ready.

My laptop is on life support and the IT guy has my new laptop so I'm not tech enough to edit and load the pictures from my fone.

I zeroed the nosler rounds with 5 shots and then put 10 shots down range at 100 yards. I then tried using my mil dot system on the 99.99 scope. I'm not sure that worked at all, but it did give me some 3 shot groups.

Next, I fired 5 shot groups with the home rolled rounds without moving the scope at all. The 5 shot groups with reloads averaged 20% larger. I threw several shots trying to 'time' my breaths...

All in all, I think the 100 dollar scope and the ALG trigger held me back some. I am happy with the results as far as it went. The 500 yard shoot is a ways off, so I will practice again and maybe even fire the rounds slower? I was averaging 1 shot every breath and the super seal sniper guy in the next lane said I was shooting too fast. Probably right.

I will try to post pics whenever I get the laptop back if anyone is interested. Going on memory right now, but I think I had a 1" 3 shot group and a 5 shot group of 2.75 on the large size. The 10 shot group was the largest.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
That kind of group size is pretty big. Your load should be more consistent than that or you're liable to miss a lot. You're at almost 3MOA by the time you get to 5 shots. It'll make it really hard if your targets aren't 3MOA or bigger.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Try Strelok Pro on your smartphone. Mine got me within 1-2moa all the way out to 600. Close enough to be on paper and dial it in from there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
500 is stupid simple. You're not going to be making 1st round hits right away, but you will get on target and have fun in no time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
And Ballistic AE if you're looking for a good calc for your phone.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to try shooting off a sand bag, slowly while breathing normally next week. All of my groups averaged out at about 2 moa, so there is hope.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Try some 77gr SMK's.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Try some 77gr SMK's.
View Quote

Will they fit in a magazine? My 1/8 should spin a 77, I hope.

Funny comment about the sniper seal paratrooper that was in the next lane. He asked me if the gun was chromed. I told him it was a stainless barrel, which he could see, he asked again. Finally I told him no. He said I should have it chromed and it will shoot better????? lol
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mustb123:

Funny comment about the sniper seal paratrooper that was in the next lane. He asked me if the gun was chromed. I told him it was a stainless barrel, which he could see, he asked again. Finally I told him no. He said I should have it chromed and it will shoot better????? lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Try some 77gr SMK's.

Yes they will. There are several threads on clone loads of MK262. Just do load development as you normally would but that gives you an idea of where you should be trying to get close to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
No, that is the word which comes to mind. I am not ready.
View Quote

I agree, but you have yet to mention two things which dominate at longer ranges::
a) wind
b) drop
What you need to do to prepare is to read up on ballistics.
Drop is the easier side of things IF (and only if) you have a good read on the MV of the bullet. If not then you need plan 2 (below). Ballistics programs are good at INITIALIZING the DOPE book; but they are never as good as actual shooting under actual conditions.
Wind is the mind killer, reading it and getting a feel for its effects.

Plan 2:: setup a range scenario where you can shoot 100, 150, 200, (250,) and 300 yards.
Stop the progression when you longer range group is more than 0.5 MoA bigger than your shorter range group, and go back to the beginning (1).
1) Shoot a group at 100, then with the same concentration level shoot a group at 150.
2) Shoot a group at 100, then with the same concentration level shoot a group at 200.
3) Shoot a group at 150, then with the same concentration level shoot a group at 200.
4) Shoot a group at 150, then with the same concentration level shoot a group at 250.
5) Shoot a group at 200, then with the same concentration level shoot a group at 300.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#14]

Plan is to zero the noslers at 100 and then 'simulate' 200, 300, 400 & 500 by using moa guesstimates from ballistic charts to create a cheat sheet dope sheet.

View Quote

Sounds doomed to failure to me.

There's a reason why DOPE ("data on previous engagements ") cards are used, not " data on cheat sheet" cards.

Go shoot at distance, learn, and have fun.  :-)
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
You just have to know how much elevation to dial in and where to hold for wind. If you will have the chance to walk it out (increase the distance a little at a time), then those things are very easy. In the precision rifle world we like to use ballistic calculators to help fill in the gaps where we don't have actual data. If you don't have a good idea of your muzzle velocity or ballistic coefficient, then the ballistic calculator is just giving you example figures, but it is still useful for helping you understand long range trajectory. Google JBM ballistics to try a free web based one.

Before you worry too much about selecting the best possible bullet for optimal ballistics, read up on basic marksmanship. You will learn a lot more by firing off a case of m193 into the wind than you would after trying several types of superior ammo and second guessing your data and equipment.

It helps to have a good stable shooting position, and for that I don't recommend the Caldwell rest. You are better to rest on sandbags, a bipod, or a rucksack.

The guy at the range asking about the chrome was referring to a chrome lined barrel. That topic has been debated elsewhere and is not really very important to accuracy, but for you it is a distraction from learning how to shoot. It also is a good example that you should not take very seriously the advice of people at the range (or on the internet) that talk too loudly about their own greatness.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

There's a reason why DOPE ("data on previous engagements ") cards are used, not " data on cheat sheet" cards.

View All Quotes

Plan is to zero the noslers at 100 and then 'simulate' 200, 300, 400 & 500 by using moa guesstimates from ballistic charts to create a cheat sheet dope sheet.

Well, that is probably not the optimal approach, but with limited range space it can work to make the leap to longer range.  I did the same thing first time I went to Perry.   Zeroed my AR high for 600 yards based on ballistic calculator.    Just took a few click adjustments and it was on at 600.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CyberIntel:

Well, that is probably not the optimal approach, but with limited range space it can work to make the leap to longer range.  I did the same thing first time I went to Perry.   Zeroed my AR high for 600 yards based on ballistic calculator.    Just took a few click adjustments and it was on at 600.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CyberIntel:

That's the idea. I have no plans in shooting 500 yards every week....of course I don't have a place to do that anyway. This is just an exercise to learn and get some experience.

I do appreciate the suggestions and do plan on shooting on a sand bag versus the plastic Caldwell deal. Should get another shot at 100 yards this week.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#18]
OK - so I'm learning this new hi-tech windows 8 machine. I had 7, so this is an upgrade!

This is a typical group from my first attempt off of the plastic rest and 1 shot per breath. They averaged about 1.7 inches.

This is an example of my second attempt. These groups averaged 1.4" off of a sandbag and 1 shot every 2-3 breaths.

I am shopping for a real scope now - then it's back to work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I did an apple seed last weekend. We shot.500 yards on Sunday. I had my AR zeroed at 25 yard. And clicked in 7 MOA hit 500 pretty easy for a 1-4x scope. Don't over think it. This was also with federal American eagle. Not match ammo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ajclune:
I did an apple seed last weekend. We shot.500 yards on Sunday. I had my AR zeroed at 25 yard. And clicked in 7 MOA hit 500 pretty easy for a 1-4x scope. Don't over think it. This was also with federal American eagle. Not match ammo.
View Quote

Good info - Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:22:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#22]
Agreed, this isn't all that hard of an objective to reach.

They shoot m1's m14's and Ar's at 500 and 600 all the time with iron sights.  

In the Marines we did it with A2's with standard ball ammo.  If you applied what you learned banging the 10 ring wasn't all that hard for all 10 shots unless the wind was blowing hard and varying.

You can do this with 55 or 62 grain fmj but will be happier with the groups with 69 or 77 grain ammo.   More importantly is a stable position and a consistent cheek weld (the way you apply your head to the stock and align your eyeball to the sight/scope).    

The hard part is the time on the range and getting to see where your rounds are going while there are other people on the range, you can't just get up and check your target when you want and it takes a long time to walk to 500 and back.  Spotting scopes and 5.56 holes aren't going to work all that well beyond 200 or 300 and even then only with perfect light conditions on the target.  Throw in high humidity in the air and you're walking anyhow because of visual distortion in the spotting scope.

Big paper also helps.  More ammo is wasted due to not having big enough paper to steer you back to the center.   Buy yourself a couple full size SR targets and the appropriate bull overlay.  You may not need the overlay with a scope though.

ETA- I would also suggest you get your 100 yard zero down with a specific ammo.  Write down your zero.   Then shoot the same everything at 200.  You will still be on paper.  Adjust your scope to center writing down the dope change.   Do the same at 300, you may need to add to your 200 yard dope to get on paper, if you're using a small target.   At 500 you will likely need add elevation to your scope to hit paper unless you're using big paper.  

here's some general and vague come up information from the archives;

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=248291

doesn't say what ammo and it's a general guide for a 20" rifle with iron sights.  look at the MOA adjustments, those are ballpark for what you want to do with your scope knobs or even your mildots.

You can play with JB ballistics program and build your own data sheet based on your barrel length, scope height, projectile and speed.   Google is your friend.  

Obviously they're guides and don't mean as much as you shooting for your own dope but they'll get you close.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

Go play around on this online calculator.  If you don't have a chrono just use 2600fps and a bc of .300.  Should be pretty close for your loads.

Dial the scope up the suggested amount.  - or hold over if you must.

If your scope is zeroed right now at a 100, you can be hitting at 500 in no time.  It's rather easy with low winds.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Have not tried yet, waiting for the MBT's to arrive. Should be soon.

I have worked up a couple of loads and have some match ammo to try as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Dial elevation, hold for wind, send it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#28]
500 isn't a big deal.

Shot mostly at 100/200 for years.

First time at new range on the 500 line I was connecting in no time.....but.....

WIND

It's a bitch
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#29]
500 is stupid simple. You're not going to be making 1st round hits right away, but you will get on target and have fun in no time.
View Quote

I was in here to point out that back in boot camp we were shooting from 500 yards with old, heavily used M16A1's and stock iron sights. Those 10 shots slow fire were gravy! And that was all done with plotting shots manually on paper (ye olde Data Book!). No computers, internet, apps, etc.

OP, you will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#30]
200 and 300 will be nothing.  400 and 500 you just need to have an idea of the drop. Do you know your Zero?  If you have a 50 yard zero, you just have to know how much elevation you should dial in, by looking at the ballistics.   You can google it and get close and then just confirm in the field.  Now if you go buy a box or even just go look at one, a box of 77 fgmm (Federal Gold Medal Match), they put the bullet drop right on the box.  I think they usually use a 2" above bore at 100 yards and then show you the rest from there.  I don't have that data on hand though, otherwise I'd tell you myself.  It's been a while for me.  But I can tell you this, I never had to think too hard to shoot at 200 and 300.   But I always had my rifles zero'd (at 50) before trying to shoot at distance.  If you're not zero'd, then you could have big problems.

And oh yeah, like fin said, the further out you go, the more the wind will mess with you.  My range is right on lake Michigan and it's barely ever calm there.  I personally feel like .308's drift less, but that's just run of the mill bullets.  It may be a different story depending on quality and BC of bullet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I do 500 yds with my 4x swfa and some 60 gr vmax about every other weekend at our "short" private range, 526 yds to be exact.  Not trying to sound like some kind of tough guy but as others stated its no biggi and lots of fun...hell we push our .22lr to 400 for s&g's pretty much ever range trip..its all fun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:30:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evile] [#32]
I am heading out to my first 500 yard range tomorrow, like the OP I have only shot at 200 so going to 500 has me excited. I am shooting a Aero precision 556 16 inch build  with a bushnell engage 2.5-10x with Magtech mk262 clones. I confirmed my 100 yard zero today at my gun club and the rifle is shooting 1moa easily with this ammo.  I bought strelok pro on my phone and have been in the ammo forums for velocity data so right now  I am looking at 12.7moa (51 clicks) up and hold for wind.

edit I just saw the last post was from 2017 lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GSL] [#33]
Florida is almost pretty flat, right? Should be a lot easier than you think. The important thing is to get your dope and learning to read the wind.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Evile:
I am heading out to my first 500 yard range tomorrow, like the OP I have only shot at 200 so going to 500 has me excited. I am shooting a Aero precision 556 16 inch build  with a bushnell engage 2.5-10x with Magtech mk262 clones. I confirmed my 100 yard zero today at my gun club and the rifle is shooting 1moa easily with this ammo.  I bought strelok pro on my phone and have been in the ammo forums for velocity data so right now  I am looking at 12.7moa (51 clicks) up and hold for wind.

edit I just saw the last post was from 2017 lol
View Quote
Range report?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

Range report?
View Quote
All went great strelok had me dead on at every range.  Going back in a couple weeks. Now I want to build a grendel for the 1000 yard range
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I never did a long range for 223, kinda jumped on the 6.5C bandwagon(I realize you didn’t ask me), and have been having fun with that.

The last week or so, I have been building a ladder for some good bullets. I’ll test them at 100 yards this week through the 26” AR and then make a bunch of the best combo to try out the 223.
View Quote
About time for an update?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top