Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2015 9:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave_Markowitz]

Yesterday I received this 45 lb. draw takedown recurve bow that I bought from China Archery Supplies (archerysupplier.com). It is their "Yellow Diamond" takedown recurve.  I ordered it on November 20th and it was delivered Friday night. (Actually, DHL dropped it off 4 houses down the block. Thankfully an honest neighbor brought it to me the next day.)

I decided to get this bow instead of something like the more easily available Samick Sage, because I was intrigued with the idea of a takedown bow that has limbs styled after a traditional Asian bow. In my experience with my Toth Magyar bow and my Manchu bow, the siyahs almost give you a let-off when you draw.

The bow came nicely packed in bubble wrap in a small box, along with the string and an Allen wrench to attach/detach the limbs. Taken down, it's about 24" long. Assembled but unstrung, it's 55" long, and strung, it's 54" long.

As you can see in the closeups above, each limb is held on with two bolts with brass washers. There are threaded brass inserts that the bolts screw into, along with one on the back of the riser for a stabilizer or fishing reel, and two on the left for a quiver.

The riser is made of elm and siyahs are some kind of lightweight wood, while the limbs are fiberglass covered with faux yellow snakeskin. It's little gaudy but should be a decent natural camo. The siyahs have some decorative carving which is not shown in the pictures on the suppliers website. They look more like the siyahs on CAS's "Takedown Survival Bow."

The arrow shelf is nicely radiused. It is covered with some kind of split leather, and there's a piece of the same leather on the riser next to the shelf.

I've been fighting off a cold the past couple of days but got out back yesterday and today to get some fresh air. I'd shot my Samick SLB-II longbow and my Manchu bow earlier in the day yesterday, so my arms were a bit tired, but after my neighbor brought me the new bow I had to give it a try.

After assembling and stringing the recurve I used my bow square to find a nocking point 3/8" above level to start with. Since that might not be optimal, I just marked it with a Sharpie. That turned out to be a good idea because I was getting some porpoising. Once I moved the arrows up a little on the string I got better flight, so after finding the right spot I crimped on a string nock today.

The arrows I'm shooting are some Easton 600 spine carbons tipped with 125 grain target points that I'd bought awhile ago from 3Rivers, and they turned out to be a good match. I put about two dozen shots through it and was able to keep most of them on my small foam block target at about 12 yards. I shot it some more today and good tight groups when I was consistent, which was difficult with this damn head cold.

I noticed that it had a pretty loud twang, so this morning I added cat whisker string silencers, which quieted it right down.

The bow slings the carbon arrows at a pretty good clip and should make for a nice informal target shooting and field bow. As a takedown, it can fit into a nice small package, so it'll make a good choice to take car camping. At 45# it's powerful enough to take a deer with a sharp broadhead placed in the right spot, but it's light enough for extended shooting sessions.

I think this will turn out to be a good purchase.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting one for sure; let us know how you like it as you get some range time with it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]

I worked from home today and shot the bow some more during my lunch break.

I tried the bamboo arrows that I got for my 50# Manchu bow in it. They are heavier than the 600 spine carbons I've been shooting in the new bow, and it showed. They fly noticeably slower and POI is to the right. I'll stick with the carbons in this bow.

I need to slightly modify the grip. There's a spot that rubs the top of my right thumb when I shoot, that gets annoying. It should a few minutes with a file or rasp, and then I can touch it up with some tung oil.

But overall, it continues to impress.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still like this bow and did a video review of it today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top