Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2015 11:29:35 AM EDT
Got lucky last week in that wind!!!  Veterens Day luck!  7 yd shot, 505pm.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You are on a roll; fantastic!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope so!  Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice rack
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brohawk:
Beautiful deer!

7 yards?  Were you in a stand or a ground blind?  Tell us about the hunt!
View Quote

If you'll recall, Veterans Day was a windy sucker!  
I saw this buck that morning, getting my twin boys ready for the school bus. I'm fortunate to be able to hunt out my back door!  As soon as I got them on the bus, I beat feet to the stand he was headed for. I figured he was alone, and if he was in earshot I might just call him in!  Hunted til 1030, only deer I saw was a 4 pt at 9am but he wouldn't come closer that 80 yds. He would be legal in my county. I'm glad he didn't!

I wasn't supposed to hunt that afternoon, has to get the boys off the bus! But, Grandma called at lunch, said she had the day off and wanted to get the boys after school! So I was back in that stand about 230.  That wind had really gotten crazy by then, but I've hunted Iowa and Wyoming in winds like that.  Critters still move and it's November, they want to find a hot doe!

30 min til dark I hit my grunt tube as loud as I could, and 5 min later here he came!   Luckily I was standing up in my 15' ladder stand.  He was quartered to me quite a bit as I drew my recurve, but he turned as he was passing my tree.  Centered the near lung, hit very bottom tip of far lung and diaphragm. Ran about 150-200 yds, somehow!  

My buddy that usually helps track and drag was laid up with a broken leg but his college aged Son came to the rescue!  His young eyes were a plus!!  

Deer was at least 4.5 yrs old, and my best by far with a bow. My 30th big game critter with trad gear.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brohawk:
Excellent story.  Looking around in this forum is rekindling the archery spark.
View Quote

I hunt with everything from a smoothbore flintlock to an AR10, but my favorite is that recurve!!  Although, I have killed fish with my Atlatl. I need to dedicate practice time to that for deer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top