Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2014 5:13:30 PM EDT
link

Id like to get or make an english longbow and some arrows.  I have a compound, but there is something alluring about a stick bow, especially the english longbow.
Dont know if I could even attempt to draw back one of those "war bows" with a draw weight of 100+ lbs, but i do like to watch videos of them being shot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Reseachers can tell who the archers were just by seeing the changes in the skeletons.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup. Distortion of certain vertebra occurred because of the training they went through.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddler] [#3]
I used to use a bamboo longbow for a while, but only about a 55lb draw weight

Have a friends WarBow here....in the region of 120lb pull weight.
I can use it, but I'd not want to do it as a day job unless I had a LOT of training first

I suggest you get possibly the best book on the topic, which was written by an English actor - Robert Hardy - "Longbow: A Social and Military History"

I also have an replica of an older flat bow - a Mere Heath.

Make my own arrows too.
ETA: the video you linked to was interesting, but the bodkin he used was not really one designed for armour plate - He should have used one like this:

A great hobby in preparation for when we next fight the French, or the Scots (the latter may be sooner than planned when their Independence experiment goes tits up & they head south looking for plunder...)
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have this DVD.  It's pretty neat, and I've done some pretty cool fletchings out of it.  If anything, it's interesting to see how they made the arrows.

http://www.thelongbowshop.com/products/Fletching-Medieval-Arrows-%252d-The-Longbow-Series-DVD.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top