Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2012 5:35:06 PM EDT
I am looking into buying a recurve bow. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and attempted shooting a recurve. I tried a Samick Sage which I had looked at online. The guy helping me brought back a Bear Grizzly with us. I shot the samick for the first time and it went well. The arrow actually hit on the paper target down range which surprised me. Then I felt the pain in my bow hand. The bowstring slapped my bow hand, not my forearm but my hand. Then I tried the Bear, flawless. No slap on the hand no issues. The guy trying to sell me the bow said he experienced the same problem from the samick and another guy said that the string slapping my hand would go away with practice but, the bear didn't slap my hand which makes me think it's not about me but more about the bow.
So my question is is this string slap a result of the quality of the samick vs. the bear or is there some other explanation?
If this slap is so common how does it get such good ratings on 3riversarchery

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#1]
NO, this is not normal, the Samick is a great bow. The problem is that the brace height, (the distance between the string and the grip of the bow when strung, but not drawn) was set incorrectly. I had this exact same problem with my PSE stalker I bought at cabelas. I went to a pro archery shop and got the correct size string for it, never had an issue again. They probably had either the wrong length string on it, or not enough twists in the string to make it the correct height.

A simple fix, but often those in archery departments in big box stores only shoot compounds, and dont know whats going on with recurves.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Kneedragger nailed it. The brace height (AKA fistmele) is set too low.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Went back and talked to the shop guy and he made it right. All is well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top