Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2012 12:10:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kneedragger650]
Just got back from the field after trying out my new PSE Stalker recurve. Love it. Kind of an impulse buy at Cabelas but I have been looking at getting into some basic archery for a while. Knew I wanted a recurve or longbow, and went down to Cabelas, got measured, tried a few out, and this one was really comfortable, and a good weight (40 pound). I have shot a compound a few times before, but I have a bad elbow and the 60-70 pound draw killed my arm after a few arrows. Shot this one a bunch, even in the Oregon summer rain, and love it.

Have a few questions - Leave it strung or unstrung.... and do I really need a bowstringer? I know I'll probably get flack for it, but the guy at cabelas just recommended the step through method.... (ducks for cover)
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I moved your topic to this forum, as I figured you'd get more responses.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#2]
You can use the step-trough method with a 40# bow, but I highly recommend a stringer. They aren't expensive, they are safer to use, and mostly eliminate the risk of twisting a limb.

Conventional wisdom says to leave it unstrung when not in use, but modern bows made with fiberglass or laminated wood/fiberglass limbs can be left strung indefinitely. I looked into this extensively earlier this year. I have a 50# Samick SLB-II longbow that's been strung since April and hasn't lost any power. If you need to leave the bow in a car in the sun it's better to unstring it, though. (Better yet, don't leave the bow in a hot car.)

If the bow will not be used for an extended period it's not a bad idea to unstring it. Doing so reduces the risk that someone will dry fire it in your absence.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a longbow that's custom made and I have to use a stringer.  It's worth the small investment, really.  If you don't want to pay for it, I can almost guarantee you can find instructions on how to make one via youtube or some place else.  It's little more than a couple suede or leather pouches connected to a long shoe string.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually ended up making a stringer on the third or fourth day.

Now a few months down the road, I have purchased some better arrows, a sight, a stabilizer. I had a crack in the limbs but PSE replaced it for me no questions asked, and I had them switch to 35# limbs for me. Much better now. I can consistently put it in the bullseye at 18m and hit a 12 inch plate at 30m.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top