Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2012 10:14:25 AM EDT
I'd like to start archery, and would like to try a takedown recurve as a starter bow. I am left handed, and have a limited budget. Some decent bows, and basic equipment needed would be great info, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Start with checking the classifieds on trad web sites! Can sometimes find a deal. Otherwise, Martin, PSE among others make some darn fine Non custom bows!!  Just dont buy one with too much poundage!!  If youve never shot trad, look for something around 40 pounds!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Samick Sage recurve.  3 Rivers sells a starter kit with this bow that comes with almost everything you need to get started, except arrows and a target. If you don't have a local archery shop 3 Rivers is one of the best online/mail order houses to deal with.

ASSuming you're an adult male in good health you should be OK with a 35# or 40# bow, but I would not get a bow with a heavier pull. Shooting a bow uses your upper back muscles in a way that you probably do not use already, so you need to work your way up to higher draw weights. The Samick Sage is a takedown and you get extra limbs, so if you decide down the road you want a stronger bow all you need to do is buy a set of heavier limbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top