Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2012 11:40:06 AM EDT

Having just got back into archery after about 15 years I find that my knowledge is a bit out of date, including the matter of what wood to use for arrows. (Most of my previous archery experience involved shooting Easton XX75 aluminum arrows.)

I am now shooting a 40# Toth Magyar Horse Bow and hope to work up to shooting my 55# Martin Howatt Hunter.

I currently have some Port Orford Cedar arrows. I see that I can now buy arrows made from POC, hickory, laminated birch, ash, Douglas Fir, and even others.

What type of wood for your arrows do you prefer and why?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The POC is likely the most common. The laminated shafts can and will be heavy, as will the hard woods, ash, hickory, etc.  Here's where I buy mine, along with most everything else trad, Mike will take good care of you!!

http://www.thenockingpoint.com/index.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By FiremanBrad:

The POC is likely the most common. The laminated shafts can and will be heavy, as will the hard woods, ash, hickory, etc.  Here's where I buy mine, along with most everything else trad, Mike will take good care of you!!

http://www.thenockingpoint.com/index.html

Cool, I'll check them out, thanks.

I may try some ash shafts. I've read elsewhere that they are very resistant to breaking.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I started out with cedar due to they were easy to work with. Ive shot lodgepole pine, hickory, maple, and now shoot only bamboo.  Bamboo is nature's carbon and is nearly indestructable, nearly.  Bamboo is thin diameter, naturaly tapered and will shoot off anything.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TheDrof06:
I started out with cedar due to they were easy to work with. Ive shot lodgepole pine, hickory, maple, and now shoot only bamboo.  Bamboo is nature's carbon and is nearly indestructable, nearly.  Bamboo is thin diameter, naturaly tapered and will shoot off anything.

Got a source you'd share? Or do you collect & roll your own?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a great place to start with Bamboo arrows.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.0.html

All about how to make your own arrows pretty cheaply.

I make my own Osage bows and hunt with Bamboo arrows.

Here's my club's web site take a look at the videos.  We're generally well known in the Traditional and Primitive  world of Archery.

http://twinoaksbowhunters.wordpress.com/
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#6]
i make all of my own bows and arrows
i make primitive self bows,there for i like to make primitive arrows as well

for arrows i have used river cane that i get from guys down south
or i collect arrow material while i am hunting here in MN
cane is like natures carbon fiber,virtually indestructible

i have used red osier(dog wood),and wild rose
wild rose is my favorite material for shafts

with any of these you must season them first,then clean and straighten them
then find ones that fly good from a particular bow

i dont use a spine tester
i just shoot bare shafts from the bow that i need to make arrows for
if they fly good out to 15 yards,then i add fletching and points to them and reshoot them

when fletching them i use turkey feathers from birds i have killed and sinew from deer to hold the fletch on
i just wish i could use stone heads that i knapp,but here in MN that is illegal

sorry if i got a bit off topic
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Not OT, just necro-posting.

Anyway, I found my favorite natural shaft material: bamboo. I got some bamboo arrows from China off eBay and they are outstanding.

I got them from this eBay store. At first I ordered a half dozen, but I liked them so much that I bought another 12. I shoot them in my 50# Manchu bow from this seller.

For my 40# Magyar bow, I still shoot some POC arrows that I built from shafts from 3Rivers Archery.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
ive heard great things about that chinease arrow bamboo
love the tips youve got on them arrows
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#9]
a bulk of mine are raw POC, I have shot fir and even a few ash.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I use Ash for hunting and cedar for target practice and fowling
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My favorite is bamboo. I've also made some tough, heavy stumping flus flus from Home Depot's six-pack of 6' long bamboo stakes and from whatever discarded cuttings from full length turkey feathers laying around. I also like Douglas Fir but wood tends to break easily. Mostly I shoot plain old aluminums. Don't like carbon but understand it's all the rage with compounders and traditional shooters.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#12]
If you can get them straight, ash and maple are great shafts.

Just realized I have a dozen teak shafts I need to fletch up. Supposedly came from 100 year old RR ties. Very heavy
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I use either hard maple or bamboo.  have had great success with both using stone points
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top