Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2011 6:31:11 PM EDT
Looking at either a recurve or a longbow. I'd like something quality but not for more than around $400 if I can help it. What brands and other features should I be looking for. I do have a local archery store that I may stop by after work one day to peruse their selection.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest you take a look at your local store first. Once you see a few things there, you will start to get a feel for your budget.

Then, you can decide to support your local store or hit the Internet.
I tend to say you should seriously weigh the local store since you will need some help from time to time and unless there is a club nearby you will be getting your help from them.

See if there are any other stores within range too. If they seem helpful to beginners and are not over-priced, you are in luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I know of some quality gently used bows that might suit, for instance, my brother is selling his Jim Reynolds Thunderstick magnum for $250.

It's a 58" or 60" (I'll have check) hybrid longbow, 52#@28"

PM me and I can point you to a few others that are owned by friends, I know these bows have all been well taken care of.

––Dan––
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The Samick Sage recurve is getting some good reviews, and is very economically priced.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at a Bear Montana longbow. I bought one with a 35# draweight to rehab a shoulder injury. IMO, don't buy a starter bow that doesn't have a 3 or even a 2 as the first number in draw weight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Sarrels are very nice and not super expensive.  I don't know if Bob Sarrel is still in business but some of my archery friends that shoot trad bows love them.

He's based out of Manchaca.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 3:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Samick Sage
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Equin:
Samick Sage
View Quote
After too much research, I discovered the Samick Sage is sold as a re-badged "Smokey Mountain Hunter" bow.

I found the best price ($98). here:

http://www.bowhuntingoutlet.com/14-smokey-mountain-hunter-take-down-recurve-right-hand-62-55.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh93F_OTn2gIVQlYNCh2SmA4HEAQYAiABEgLcV_D_BwE

They also have a "package" for just $114, which I bought - but I forgot to add the free shipping (doh!).

Should be here next week.  Just shooting in the backyard with the kids.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Samick Sage
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Chek mate out of BC make custom bows, I paid less that 400 cdn for my recurve. They used to ship to the US, they probably still do.

I had a beautiful yew longbow from them as a teenager. I miss it
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#11]
If you can get your hands on a Timberhawk Strike give it a try; they are $399. 56 or 60". Really liked the one I tried. Only go to 45# though; have to go up to the next level to get higher weights
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a 45lb Martin Saber Elite off Amazon for about $80. It's a touch on the heavy side (bow weight not draw weight) but for the price it's nice. The Martin Jaguar is lighter but is about $50 more, still a good price. I've been out of archery for about 10 years but my kids are getting interested so I thought I'd start back. Still have a Mathews compound and an older Bear Grizzly recurve around too.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My Browning Cobra is very light and handy. 51# and it throws an arrow faster than my 64# Phil Grable Phoenix.
I believe Shakespeare made the Cobra. Best $20 I ever spent, should be able to find one like it for $100 or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top