Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2015 5:30:49 PM EDT
I'm looking for one of those climbing tree stands that I can pack on my back and take with me to set up wherever I want to bow hunt from. I have no experience nor do I know anyone who has one.   Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a cheap gorilla climber that has worked well for almost 10 years. you want one that is quiet and easy to set up in the dark. Also be sure to check the weight limit, as some I have seen are kinda light weight for a full sized man with gear in my opinion. I'm sure someone will be along soon with more specific info good luck. I love using a climber..oh and make sure you have one of those vest harness setups. Way nicer than the nut smashing belt harness.

Edit to add: I got mine because it was affordable to me at the time, and it has a nice large platform to stand when drawing the bow.  Platform size is important to me standing up making a draw with buck fever!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Summit Viper which I like just fine but since I have switched to traditional with the longer bows I would rather have the Razor.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tips guys.  Seems these things aren't cheap.  But I'd rather not be 20ft in the air with "made in china" under my feet.  The Ol'Man brand looks appealing and their aluminum model weighs 15 lbs but its about $280.  What's an easy to use easy to carry safe one I can go for?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say in the climbing stand threads I've seen on various sites Summit and Lone Wolf always seem to end up being the 2 most popular.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a Gorilla.  I liked the expanded steel mesh platform, but it was heavy, noisy and a bit sketchy with the clevis pins.  I sold it and bought a Summit.

The Summit Viper SD is great.  It's light, quiet and secure.  The only thing I didn't like was the slick platform, so I modded it with traction tape.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Summit Viper SD. Get the foot rest too, much better
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Summit Titan, I wanted something big and comfortable and it fits the bill! It may be a tad big and heavy compared to some others, but its well worth it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a lone wolf fan boy.  They are expensive, but super compact and don't clang around.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a lone wolf fan boy.  They are expensive, but super compact and don't clang around.
View Quote

I've never used their climbers, however, I have used one of their hang on stands that a guy in our hunting group had already hung and didn't use that day so instead of packing my stand in I decided to use that. Sooo uncomfortable (at least for me), my butt felt like a waffle after a few hours and I didn't like how there wasn't much room for me. Granted I was about 35-40lbs heavier than I am today. With my Summit stand, I felt like I was sitting in comfort all day.

I have heard those Old Man stands are very comfortable as well, however my buddy talked me out of it when he cited a few instances where they were sued because their stands broke and some hunters died. Albeit they probably didn't have a hunter safety system on, but I decided I'd just stick with the Summit. Glad I did.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a viper SS.... fantastic nap climbing stand
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
API Grand Slam for years.  Lots of meat piled on the ground because of it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I CAN ALMOST SET A LADDER AND HANGING STAND AS FAST AS MY CLIMBER, AND I COULD BUY 3-4 HANG ON STANDS FROM SPORTSMANS GUIDE FOR THE PRICE OF A GOOD CLIMBER.  I LIKE MY CLIMBER BUT PREFER MY OTHER STANDS MORE.  I HAVE A SUMMIT CLIMBER AND ITS A PRETTY NICE STAND, IDK THAT ITS WORTH THE $300 I SPENT ON IT THOUGH.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
YUP JUST CHECKED 260ISH FOR 4 STANDS AND STICKS, BUT IF YOU MUST GO THE CLIMBER ROUTE I WOULD GO SUMMIT, THE GORILLA STANDS LOOK DECENT FOR CHEAPER ONES.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Lone wolf for climbers.

Super flat on the back, super quiet, well built.  

I hunt public a lot, so being able to pack it in a mile quietly is important.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lone wolf for climbers.

View Quote

This, I just bought one this year, I was a little skeptical at first, but worth every damn penny..
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm seriously looking at the Summit Viper.

I like the idea of having a rail in front of me to strap all my shit to(Summit actually makes attachable packs made for their stands) but the shooting rails on the Lone Wolf climbers look to be a bit too high for bowhunting, even on a standing shot.  If I'm wrong on that assumption though feel free to chime in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
The absolute LIGHTEST you can afford.  These suckers get heavy as you go waltzing through the woods.  A stand, with all your other gear gets mighty heavy after a while.

Summit is a good name brand.  

I have an API that I'm happy with.  

Get a sit-down-stand-up model
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

And here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a Summit Titan, I wanted something big and comfortable and it fits the bill! It may be a tad big and heavy compared to some others, but its well worth it.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Summit Viper.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This, I just bought one this year, I was a little skeptical at first, but worth every damn penny..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lone wolf for climbers.

+1  I bought the Assault Hand Climber last year and after you use it a few times and figure out its quirks. it's the best thing since sliced bread.  I see deer almost every time I get up on that thing.

I like the platform seat on it as well, so I can sit with my knees apart.  Most climbers have the sling or hammock style seat, and I don't like how they keep your knees pressed together when sitting.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Viper Summit.  Great stands and hold very well.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
And here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

And here.
As do I!
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:41:01 AM EDT
[#25]
The best I've used was my old Summitt Viper. It's been several years now though so I don't know the current field of choices.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Summit Viper all the way...Secure as could be, so comfortable that I fall asleep waaaay too often...the perfect climber really.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been using the Lone Wolf Assault hand climber for the past 3 seasons and love it.  It's very light (14 lbs), compact, flat and quiet.  It doesn't stick way up above your head and get hung up in tree limbs when walking.

However, I wouldn't have wanted to try it as my first stand since it's very small, and takes a bit more effort to climb with it than a big sit and climb like a Summit Titan.  I would cut my teeth on a big comfy sit and climb first until you get your routine down and get comfortable with climbing tree stands and figure out what kind of trees are best climb.  If your knees start getting weak, start off low, like 10-12 ft and build up your confidence and work your way up.

Your goal is to get so you can be comfortable going at least 25 ft up if you need to.  

ETA - Lol -- this is an old thread.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been using the Lone Wolf Assault hand climber for the past 3 seasons and love it.  It's very light (14 lbs), compact, flat and quiet.  It doesn't stick way up above your head and get hung up in tree limbs when walking.

However, I wouldn't have wanted to try it as my first stand since it's very small, and takes a bit more effort to climb with it than a big sit and climb like a Summit Titan.  I would cut my teeth on a big comfy sit and climb first until you get your routine down and get comfortable with climbing tree stands and figure out what kind of trees are best climb.  If your knees start getting weak, start off low, like 10-12 ft and build up your confidence and work your way up.

Your goal is to get so you can be comfortable going at least 25 ft up if you need to.  

ETA - Lol -- this is an old thread.  
View Quote
You say cut your teeth with a big comfy climber, lol, like a titan first. Then why would he ever want to get something else! Ha!! My first climber stand was/still is a summit titan! That thing is soooooo comfortable! Over the seasons I have sat in some friends stands and they are awful compared to my titan! It's like sitting in a lazy boy in the tree compared to sitting on a barstool! The more comfortable you are in the stand, the higher the likelihood of you staying in the stand longer.

My buddy has had a bunch of different stands, had a summit viper for a while, but never uses it. But, he was talking to me about stands and I was saying how every stand I've say in from the guys in our hunting group has lacked any comfort compared to my summit titan. I told him, I don't care how heavy it is compared to just going out and using a tie on, I'm carrying that sucker in no matter what! He bought one a couple days later and is excited to use it this season to see what all my "Hype" is about. He won't be disappointed!

Also, I always find myself posting on old threads because the archery and bow hunting sections of arfcom aren't used as frequently as others so there usually isn't all that many new threads.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Summit Viper SD or Titan. Same stand but the Titan is larger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I still use my dad's Ol Man stands that he used when I was a kid and I'm in my early thirties.  They are tough fairly light and hold like 400 lbs.  That being said I feel like their profile is larger on the the tree than something like a summit.  I used a buddies summit this weekend and it got the job done.  Both are pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I got one of these. They are spendy but you can use them quite a few diff ways and it is comfortable.

I used to use an old hang on stand, not for me. Used my brothers summit a couple times, not for me either. I like this one more because it has a huge platform (for my size 16 1200g boots)

http://www.treewalkertreestands.com
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I piked up a Summit Goliath for this season.  Haven't done a long sit yet but I've climbed a couple of times and it is awesome.  Roomy and very light for the size.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

+1  I bought the Assault Hand Climber last year and after you use it a few times and figure out its quirks. it's the best thing since sliced bread.  I see deer almost every time I get up on that thing.

I like the platform seat on it as well, so I can sit with my knees apart.  Most climbers have the sling or hammock style seat, and I don't like how they keep your knees pressed together when sitting.
View Quote
I love the seat... I like how its "Adjustable" as in you can set it to any height you want, tilt it back or forward for optimal comfort.. Hell I sat in it last night for 5 hours, no issues..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top