Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2013 10:35:30 AM EDT
I have been out several times this season have not seen any bucks yet. I know it's still early for the rut to be in so I have been passing on shooting any doe's.
I've seen plenty of doe's with fawns but not really sure if I should take a doe that has fawns following her around. All the fawns do not have any spots.
So, what is the general "rule of thumb" for shooting a doe with fawns at this point in the season?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually pass.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Pass.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the fawn. You can cut 'em with a fork!  

I usually pass, but usually is the key word. If it's late season and I still have an antlerless tag, I'll take it. This late in the year those fawns should be fine alone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends how how late in the season it is and how desperate I am to put some meat in the freezer. If they don't have spots they will be fine alone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
By this time of year they shouldn't be suckling and are more a family unit than mom with fawns.  They can make it on their own by this time....let arrows fly if you want meat but seeing as it is almost rut I would rather let them walk because more does means more bucks will cruising around.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I let them walk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top