Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2013 8:05:28 AM EDT
Guys I'm a believer in scent control for whitetails, I am 100% sure it's a must.  However I've never hunted antelope,I understand it can't hurt but the few shows I've watched it looks as if antelope never use their nose?

So I'm asking the guys who have hunted them how important is scent control for antelope?
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think complete scent control is possible under any scenario.   Bottom line is you're going to have to watch the wind.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't think complete scent control is possible under any scenario.   Bottom line is you're going to have to watch the wind.

Agreed on scent control;  and the wind can shift or swirl and do things as well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I understand how the wind plays a factor. I'm asking how much do antelope use their noses?
I know they have great eyes,but wondered how their nose compared to a whitetail.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
This may not be a popular answer but for bow hunting I primarily use a climber stand and go up about 25 feet. I usually hunt same basic area but have a few trees picked out and cleaned off to climb.

At this height I am well above their eye line and usually high enough that its much harder to catch my scent. I use scent killer on my self and stuff(spray bottle) and usually fox pee on tree at bottom and when I get up top.

I have switched to this tactic about 10 years ago and almost never get winded in the woods. I especially like to do this on afternoon hunts when its hotter and Its more likely I will sweat a bit.

A climber stand also lets me play the wind.

The biggest thing I noticed from going to a fix stand to a self climber is the deer pay a lot of attention to a permanent ladder or fixed stand. What I mean is when I got my climber the first time I went out I just hunted about 20 yards from my permanent stand. I watched the deer come in and keep looking up in that stand. Once they didnt see anything in the perm stand they were a lot calmer. I was mainly buck hunting at the time so I watched plenty of does come in and just stare at that constantly stare at the perm stand.

Using this height presents other obstacles and I use a good harness but it gives me a good advantage over their sight and smeill.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Play the wind or go home.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#6]
To control my scent while hunting whitetails, I wash my hunting clothes in scent free or dirt scented soap, then dry with a dirt scented dryer sheet.

I store them organized in ziplock bags inside of plastic ziplock containers, the ones with the gasket. I keep my hunting pack with all my things in a dry bag with some kind of scented disk, either dirt or doe.

I used to scoff at that kind of thing but the ones I got this year didn't know I was there. Could be a coincidence. My strategy in using the scents is more as a cover scent for my human scent than an attractant. I spray a little doe in estrus on my rubber boots as I walk in sometimes.

I've never gone on a pronghorn hunt, sounds like awesome fun! Good luck and post pics!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you gonna be sitting or spot and stalk? If sitting it can't hurt to use scent control methods just to be safe. I would think with all the walking /crawling/sneaking of a spot and stalk you would negate all scent control from working up a sweat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top