Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2012 6:32:36 PM EDT
For those of you that have used them. What is your opinion of Rage broadheads for deer hunting?
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]

You still have to put them where it counts. Only gripe is the o-rings dry out. Bought 100 from hardware store.

I use the two blade with 70lb draw

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
As stated above put them where they need to go.  They don't leave a blood trail, but a blood highway.  They blow through ribs just fine.  Excellent choice in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
rubberbands are a pain in the ass.

I don't care what kind of quiver you have, if you hunt on foot (long miles elk hunting) some of the blades will deploy in the quiver.

fixed blade FTW.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Junk, they pop open frequently mid-flight, while they fly good I would not trust them 100% for that once in a lifetime harvest.  

I use Grim Reapers for everything, now that is a broadhead I fully trust.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I love them. If you hit the vitals that animal is done.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Junk, they pop open frequently mid-flight, while they fly good I would not trust them 100% for that once in a lifetime harvest.  

+1 for the Grim Reapers.

It has been hard to resist the Rage temptation.  Those entrance and exit holes are amazing.

If the Grim Reapers ever fail me, I'll give Rage a try.  They haven't though and the deer have died within sight... I can't ask for anything more.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I had two rage broadheads not open on deer.

I'll stick with spitfire max now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I used the rages on two bucks, never had any problems. I switched to two blade NAP killzones w/ coc tip and these things are BA. If you like rages, you'll love the kill zones. No o-rings to worry about, and when they lock, they arent going to open if a twig snags on them. They blow through deer with ease. I shot a doe with one from 20 yards, went in the right side upper ribs(broke two ribs), out the left side rib(broke another), and through the front left shoulder, then another 6-7 inches in the frozen dirt. Massive blood trail. I washed the broadhead and arrow off and will reuse it this turkey season. No chips in the blades, nothing. I was very impressed with these broadheads. Heres a link to them...
http://www.basspro.com/New-Archery-Products-Killzone-CutonContact-Expandable-Broadheads/product/12032105011422/

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I have had great luck with them, But I might try the NAP Killzone this year.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't like rage...  but everyone has opinions :)  Check out a Killzone for mechanical or Exodus for fixed - I use both.  Anything will work if you put it in the right place.  Friend killed a hog with a judo point in the heart he grabbed wrong arrow lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]
In my limited experience with them, they work great. I shot a doe last season with a 100 grain 2 blade chisel tip. She was on alert and jumped the string, turned a broadside shot into kind of a quartering towards shot. Hit her a little further back than I would have liked. Deer ran 100 yards and piled up. Now that they make a broadhead for the deep six inserts, I'll be switching to Easton Corbon Injexions with Rage Hypodermics on top.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I used the Rage X-treme 2 blade last year.. friggin' awesome. I shoot an older Diamond at 70lbs and every hit was a thru-shot... the blades destroy ribs but don't fare so well in gravel or if they hit a rock. replacement blade ability like a Schwaker would be a big plus.

I hit a doe in the neck with my crossbow and almost cut her head off... her head fell over sideways, she bounced off 3 trees and made it about 20 feet...lol
I was waiting on the buck trailing her to step out, but she had me busted and I took the shot.

I bought some of the 3 blade ones for a crossbow and wasn't very happy with them...
however they do come with plastic collars instead of the rubber O-rings.

I used to be a Muzzy fixed guy, but last season changed my mind... the entrance and exit wounds are VERY impressive... and yeah, no issues doing a blood track.
mainly because they never went more than about 30 yds and sprayed like a friggin' fire hydrant the whole way.

I might look into the NAP Killzone. all the NAP goodies I have used worked very well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Last year I used Rage X-Tremes and harvested 3 deer during the archery season
1 doe at 51 yards
1 doe at 42 yards
1 buck at 21 yards

All clean shots the Buck was a pass through, the 2 farther shots the arrow penetrated both sides of the animal but stayed in the animal.  Massive blood trails is an understatement....Blood tsunami is more like....of the 3 deer i took not a one went farther than 35 yards after being hit.  Even at the 50 yard mark the broadhead smashed through ribs on both sides.  

Bow Specs
Mathews Z7 Xtreme
CBE Sight
65lb draw weight
29" Draw length
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#14]
i hit a buck quartering to me 2 years ago at 25 yds.  he took 3 steps and flipped over.  

im a believer, i think i will try the chisel tips this year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Big fan of rage 2 blade broad heads.   I switched out all of my rockets and nap mechanicals for these and a few 100grain three blades.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
im going with the rage 2 blade chisel tip this year. 125 gr. hope to get my first deer with a bow. hoyt charger with golt tip 5575 hunter xt's.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#17]
just picked up a pack of the chisel tip 2 blade 100gr.  cannot wait till Oct 1.  wack em!
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#18]
The first 3 deer I shot with them had nice blood trails, and were found less then 50 yards away, however last year I lost 3 deer with rages... Blood trails didn't show up for a good 30 yards down the trail, then the arrow, then no blood, then some blood, then poof gone.. By the third deer I put my bow down for the year, the only thing I hate more then missing a deer is wounding one.. Strange story about this actually, all three deer went separate ways, but ended up on the same trail and I lost blood on all three in the same damn spot, I called that spot the Bermuda triangle now..
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I just bought a pack of the new hypodermics and a pack of the x-treme 2.5". This saturday is opening day and the deer will be punished for their corn destruction this year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first 3 deer I shot with them had nice blood trails, and were found less then 50 yards away, however last year I lost 3 deer with rages... Blood trails didn't show up for a good 30 yards down the trail, then the arrow, then no blood, then some blood, then poof gone.. By the third deer I put my bow down for the year, the only thing I hate more then missing a deer is wounding one.. Strange story about this actually, all three deer went separate ways, but ended up on the same trail and I lost blood on all three in the same damn spot, I called that spot the Bermuda triangle now..
View Quote

I think I might put my stand on that spot so you know they will run away from it...

I popped a buck last friday.. made it maybe 30 yds and was blowing like a fire hydrant... I had no trouble trailing him after dark.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think I might put my stand on that spot so you know they will run away from it...

I popped a buck last friday.. made it maybe 30 yds and was blowing like a fire hydrant... I had no trouble trailing him after dark.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol my buddy did this year. Sadly he has not seen a single deer out of it. I smacked nice doe a few weeks ago with a rage, tracked her 1/4 mile but I found her..
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I have taken a bear and 3 deer with them and the blood trails were like a bad homicide.
Use to use "Pucketts" and they were great but they were no Rage.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I like em. Nice big holes and fly well. I've killed 5 deer in 3 years with very little problem. Including 2 pretty big body bucks. One was 192 dressed and this years we 184 and they went less than 30 yards each.

Here is this years damage.

Link Posted: 11/17/2013 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#24]
They should be outlawed
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I used them for two seasons now and I don't like them.  At first after watching videos on youtube I thought they were great but after shooting them for a little while I'm going back to fixed blade broadheads.  They constantly opened up in my quiver and the stupid o-rings dried out on mine a few times causing the o-ring to break midflight and cause the arrow to make weird turns mid air.  I had a buddy who shot a nice buck with one pretty close and being his first deer he has shot with his bow had buck fever and ended up shooting the shoulder said his arrow barely hit the shoulder before bouncing back.  We tracked the deer the next day found him bedded down and he took off like nothing had even happened.  My buddy was bummed out about it not because he didn't get the deer but because he didn't make a clean killed and only injured it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I used them for two seasons now and I don't like them.  At first after watching videos on youtube I thought they were great but after shooting them for a little while I'm going back to fixed blade broadheads.  They constantly opened up in my quiver and the stupid o-rings dried out on mine a few times causing the o-ring to break midflight and cause the arrow to make weird turns mid air.  I had a buddy who shot a nice buck with one pretty close and being his first deer he has shot with his bow had buck fever and ended up shooting the shoulder said his arrow barely hit the shoulder before bouncing back.  We tracked the deer the next day found him bedded down and he took off like nothing had even happened.  My buddy was bummed out about it not because he didn't get the deer but because he didn't make a clean killed and only injured it.
View Quote

Ive broke both shoulders with muzzy 100g this was a 140's deer not some litte doe. I have heard horror story after horror story from people I know on rage broadheads. There has been plenty even on arfcom over the years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I've used the standard 2 blade and the 2 blade chisel tip.  I've killed 7 deer and a turkey with them.  They're accurate and work well, but the blades are pretty crappy.  I think I've had to replace the blades on all but one shot.  When I run out of my current stock of blades, I'll probably switch to killzones.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Lost my first archery deer today from a shoulder shot with a rage chisel tip.

Shot him yesterday evening, waited 2 hours and then followed a spotty blood trail 150 yards before backing out. Came back this morning with a buddy and his dog, trailed blood another 200 yards and the blood trail went dry. Walked three growing circles and never found another trace.

First time I haven't gotten a pass through. Disappointed in myself for not waiting for a quartering away shot, like I usually do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Shot three deer with them big holes but not much blood and also ran farther than I thought they would

I'm useing the T3's this year.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I've tried them, shot one doe with one, and am going back to Thunderheads. Opening in the quiver is the deal killer. I don't think they fly much better or kill any better than the fixed blades.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 except I use schwacker heads.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Way too many other great mechanicals that don't require orings or shock collars and perform just as good.  Rage popularity is all about marketing.  They're far from the best.

There's a thread on Archerytalk right now about a Hypodermic breaking in half....
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#33]

I've had 3 not open although they were recovered (double lung pass throughs).
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lost my first archery deer today from a shoulder shot with a rage chisel tip.

Shot him yesterday evening, waited 2 hours and then followed a spotty blood trail 150 yards before backing out. Came back this morning with a buddy and his dog, trailed blood another 200 yards and the blood trail went dry. Walked three growing circles and never found another trace.

First time I haven't gotten a pass through. Disappointed in myself for not waiting for a quartering away shot, like I usually do.
View Quote

Ive also used the chisel tips (one pack) absolutely the most terrible head for penetration (shooting 65lb elite synergy extreme at the time). I didn't have a single pass through at all with them...all 3 deer were recovered though. If anyone still has these left after harvesting the animal, spin check the broad head attached to the arrow on the edge of a table...they will be bent bad.

I do have a positive story on a black bear recovery for my brother and I can firmly state that if he was not shooting a rage (although any 2" cut mechanical would have worked the same way) we would not have recovered the animal. He was hunting a 30' stand on our mountain property and had the bear about 45  degrees under him...he made what he thought was a "boiler room" hit but when he inspected the arrow there was just fatty tissue along the length. He decided to wait till I arrived before going further. I found a blood trail rather quickly and began tracking...he ended up hitting him in the "armpit" and the rage nicked the artery going into his front leg...the bear bled out for literally almost 1/4 mile then piled up.

I've used swacker 2" 100 grain for a few years now and have been MUCH happier with the performance.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:43:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I have had good luck with them...

I'm not sure if they make big enough holes though.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I keep coming back to the two blade rage's.  They have their faults.  Opening in the quiver, poor penetration on bone, and you have to keep up on fresh o-rings.  

The pluses are they fly like field points when they hit soft tissue, they create ridiculous holes, and they open on contact almost without fail.

They are not the broad head to punch through shoulder with.  I almost never get a pass through, but I do get an entrance and exit wound and ultimately the arrow pulls free.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I have found every deer I have shot with them, Trying out the NAP Killzone this year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Killed 1 deer with them. Pass through on a doe. I like em so far.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#39]
When Rage came out with chisel tip design I switched from Muzzy's and thought they were the best thing since they shot like a feild point. Then I realized I would have at least one  to two come open in the quiver, not a big deal I since I had extra arrows, but then after I shot a deer in the shoulder I gave them away to a friend. Then they came with the Hypodermic, why not I'll give them try....... They were worst then the chisel tips. My old bow was shooting around 280-285 FPS, and I couldn't get proper blade deployment. The first and last deer I shot with one hit 2-3 inches behind the shoulder at 30 yards, I was like "yes dead deer".  Waited 45 minutes before climbing down, started walking the direction the deer ran at the impacted and I found my arrow 50 some yards away where it looked like she bedded down.my head just drop. From the blood on the arrow it dug in on more than 4 inches. I went ahead and called a buddy to bring his dog, track for 4 hours and called it a day. Now shoot Ramcats and haven't looked back!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I won't touch Rage heads anymore.  Their design is nothing but a pain.  There are numerous mechanical out there that work just as well if not better, without the downsides that Rage is notorious for.  

I tried them for 1 year.  I spent more time closing the blades than I did hunting.  Constantly opening up in the quiver...and they would rattle like crazy.  Drove me nuts.

I killed 1 deer with them, and it worked just fine although both blades broke, one for sure on the ribs going in and the ferrule was bent and unusable afterwards...

The Killzone by NAP solves all the problems with Rage, and has the exact same(or better) results on deer.

My 9 point from last year...This deer was shot at about 23 yards, broke 3 ribs on the way in, 3 ribs on the way out and was a full pass through.  He jumped over some brush, stood there for about 5 seconds then started walking.  I could see a solid stream of blood pouring out of him as he walked down the trail.  I wish I had it on film.  I replaced the blades(they could have been sharpened, but I have extra), and it's back in my quiver for this year.  Blood trail was magnificent...but it wasn't needed.  This deer died within 30 yards of where I shot him.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I lost 2 nice bucks because of the damn mechanical broad heads. Now I took the middleman out and use QAD exodus or slick tricks fixed heads.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Do NOT shoot them with lightweight arrows. I've seen alot of failed penetration due to the blade width and lack of arrow weight.

My buddies shooting them in Illinois had bad experiences with them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I have limited experience with Rage but here is my 2 cents.

I have only let 2 Rage's fly towards deer.

I misread my distance and shot one over a doe's back. Recovered the arrow in the ground and the broadhead failed to open. It was caked with mud and I think because of it hitting the ground quickly and not having the room to open it didn't.

The second arrow I recovered after a successful harvest and it completely opened with devastating results.

I feel confident that they are reliable, with a properly placed shot, up to this point.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I just switched to them 2 years ago. I've shot 2 doe with them and no issues. They have left large wounds and I haven't had to track past 50 yards.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#45]
My buddy uses them. He has had good results
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I love them for whitetails, currently shooting hypodermics. I prefer a fixed blade for larger game though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top