Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2012 3:17:59 PM EDT
here in western NY (northern Niagara county)  archery used to start around Oct. 15th...this year it starts Oct 1st  problem is  weird (abnormal for this area ) deer patterns. we had a very early warm spring where everything blossomed then we got a late frost and wiped just about everything out.  I also noticed very few acorns this year.  
  well I have been out a few times checking cams and patterning the early season deer...I have been hunting the same properties for the last 15 years and this year is different. the lack of food is driving them out of the hardwoods and into backyards to raid bird feeders, yeh I know that's not unusual...but around here it doesn't happen till December or January.
they are also bedding closer to the residential areas.  we had a very mild winter with very little snow, the population is up but they are not where they usually are...we cannot  have feeders in this libtard state,  I like getting out in the early season so I don't have to freeze my ass of in December. I hope they return to the old trails.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have patterned them.  Dont hope, go where they are!
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Fellow western NYer here (Livingston county).. I thought maybe it was just me, but I have talked to quite a few other ppl and they have all say the same thing.. On my land the deer seemed to be moving backwards from last year, also I have not seen a single buck all summer, or on any of my trail cams..
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Im in cattaragus county and my land is loaded with apples and acorns.  I havent seen a ton of deer yet but i tend to stay out until season opens.

The odd thing for me is i need to kill one by halloween or they just seem to disappear.  Happens every year.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im in cattaragus county and my land is loaded with apples and acorns.  I havent seen a ton of deer yet but i tend to stay out until season opens.

The odd thing for me is i need to kill one by halloween or they just seem to disappear.  Happens every year.  
View Quote

Same here, its almost would seem the deer have us patterned.. I'm surrounded by corn and beans, and my land is the only wooded plot around, sadly once gun season starts,  they get spooked they move right on out..
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
ya i think they pattern me because they watch me park my truck.  lol.  

ive also noticed i see more deer moving when the leaves are still on.  cover, i suppose...
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ya i think they pattern me because they watch me park my truck.  lol.  

ive also noticed i see more deer moving when the leaves are still on.  cover, i suppose...
View Quote

I make it a point to drive my truck and get out and watch for deer every night during the summer.. Instead of trying to be  sneaky during deer season I just drive in, and hop out, like I do all summer. Everyone that hunts with me thinks I'm stupid parking my truck less then 100 yards from my stand.. Every year everyone that hunts with me has to help me drag deer out while scratching there heads wondering why they dropped so much money on scent lock clothing, and all that.. Just tonight I went out and saw 9 does and a handful of fawns, pulled the truck over hopped out, watched for some horns for a bit, got back in drove off. None of them spooked, just looked at me..
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
should be an interesting year.  my land is 30 miles away so i only get time to get there once a week due to work and family responsibilities.  

i dont use trail cams but i do troll the property from time to and see some good bucks.  i have 1 stand in particular thats in a huge pine tree that we call the killing stand.  we seem to always take a buck out of it every year.  its a bottleneck and i can lure them in on a string with a can call.  

3 more days!!

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am in Honeoye Falls. Every apple and pear tree is loaded with fruit.

I am seeing 2 dozen deer on the field in front of my house every afternoon, among them several bucks, one of them a decent 8 pointer with 6-8" tines and slightly outside the ears spread

I will set up in the woods by standing corn on Tues morning and hunt that field in the afternoon

Best wishes to everyone!
View Quote

Lol, im one town south of you.. I keep forgetting this site was founded in HF.. I just got back from the woods, I finally got a decent set of horns on a trail cam pic. Cant get a point count, but he is well beyond his ears.. Tuesday cant some soon enough..
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Avon?

That is close enough to me. Let us know what happens on Tues and I'll do the same
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, im one town south of you.. I keep forgetting this site was founded in HF.. I just got back from the woods, I finally got a decent set of horns on a trail cam pic. Cant get a point count, but he is well beyond his ears.. Tuesday cant some soon enough..

Avon?

That is close enough to me. Let us know what happens on Tues and I'll do the same

Lima.. my property I hunt is between avon and Lima, real close to the DEC conservation pond.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
you guys are north east of me.  im way down on the PA line...  ~2hrs from rochester.

heading out in the morning for a bit.  good luck!
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck to all my fellow NYers on opening day tomorrow.. ill check in after dark
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#14]
too warm!  holy crap!
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
too warm!  holy crap!
View Quote

Agreed.. I smacked a doe on friday morning, cut her up right away.. Though I like being out early in the year, I hate how warm it is. I like to let my deer hang for a few days..
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]
How are my fellow NYers making out? Trail cams are starting to show horns finally, also showing bucks starting to chase does..
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I took a large doe, two weeks ago.. I had to make a shot out of my tower stand gun window to hit her, It was an extremely odd angle, and a small window to shoot through for a bow, but I pulled it off. This morning I spooked a huge buck on the way to the stand I check my cameras and sure enough he was hanging out 15 yards from my stand... I plan on getting in extremely early tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
doe and a 6pt walked right by me last night.  let them both walk, but he was hot on her tail....  its coming..
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
doe and a 6pt walked right by me last night.  let them both walk, but he was hot on her tail....  its coming..
View Quote

Passed this little 7 point up to night, came right in to <20 yards
" />

First set of horns I have seen all year, other then on cams, Next year he will make for a nice mount
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Well my season is over

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top