Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2013 10:37:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hobbit]
I'm shooting a compound bow with a pin/aperture site setup. I have two problems:

1. Vertical stringing.

2. Groups with two centers (bimodal ditribution of arrows)... like 4 in one cluster, then two almost touching in another, about 6 inches awa from the others.

Inconsistent eye position? Bad form? Instability? Any ideas?

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It could be a number of things. The first thing I would check is to verify is that I have a consistent anchor point every time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably inconsistency.  Whenever I get lazy about making sure the sight housing is perfectly centered inside the peep my groups will shift.   Also, try to have at least three anchor point references.  Knuckle in the ear socket, string kissing the nose, vane touching the chin, etc.  Slight inconsistencies in anchor point throw the whole system out of whack.  You might be shooting a few shots with anchor in one spot, then shifting to another spot and the arrows are following suit.

Also, if your form is not consistent, it will cause arrow flight disturbances, such as kicking the tail up and down or left and right or both.   This will cause POI shifts because the arrows are going up and down, side to side several inches back and forth as it goes down range.  Fixed blade broadheads will make it even worse.  You want the shooter and the bow tuned up so it is spinning arrows straight as a laser.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
A very general rule of thumb (assuming the bow and arrows are tuned correctly) is that left right issues are caused by grip (i.e. torque) and vertical issues are caused by breathing/anchor/release (i.e. incosistant pressure on the back wall).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top