Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2012 1:23:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R14]
I have a mid 90's reflex prowler and I cannot get the vanes to not hit the cables as the arrow passes by. I have changed rests, types of vanes, and replaced the cable slide twice. I have noticed that the cable guard sits about 5 '' bellow where the arrow sits, that seems to low to me. Especialy when I look at my bowfishing set up, that cable guard sits maybe half an inch below the arrow. It doesnt happen every time but 1 out of 3 it will hit and compleetely throws off my group, my deer target has a lot of ass shots. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I just need a new bow?
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 3:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VBC] [#1]
If the cable guard rod has a bend in it, you can loosen the lockscrew and rotate the rod outward a little more to provide more cable clearance.  

You will need to press the bow to remove the cable tension on the rod to do this.

(This is assuming that the rod is not already rotated outward as far as it will go).

Rotate the rod outward until you get about 1/8" clearance between the cable and vanes.  You want the least amount of clearance possible because increasing the cable offset increases cam lean.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, but it is allready maxed out. It is actually to the point where it is getting some pretty good cam lean, and it came like that from the factory. At best, I get maybe 1/16 of an inch clearance. The more I look into this problem, the more I get the feeling I will need to get a new bow. Thanks for the help though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 7:58:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VBC] [#3]
You might be getting horizontal nock travel, due to cam lean / limb twist or simply torquing the bow with your grip.

If so, you'll be getting a bad right or left tear when paper tuning that you can't tune out by moving the rest.

Depending on how your bow is set up, you can experiment with twisting the cables to straighten the idler or cam lean and/or swap cam shims.  Just be careful.  Also, I have cured horizontal nock travel before by simply moving the nock point a 1/4 to 1/2" higher and retuning the rest.  You wouldn't think that would have any affect on horizontal nock travel, but it did.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I will have to look into that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top