Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2013 3:18:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usar_ds]
ok, so very new to archery in general.

received a golden eagle bow set up with arrows and all the accessories last year as a trade (all used)

seems like a good bow, practiced a lot, has exposed pin fiber optic 2 pin sight (unknown manufacture). works well for me.

so bow season is here in WI, and climbing out of my stand last week, I broke a pin...

I practiced after word and know my hold-overs off the remaining pin. so I think I am good for the rest of the season

but as soon as the season is over I want to replace the sights with a system that has less exposed pins.

don't have a lot of cash right now, so not to be the guy to rehash an old topic again, but any recommendations??

also, my LGS has the cobra sight set up, as well as true glow ( don't trust tru glow scopes on my rifles so I am leery about them on my bow)

are these sights crap, or gtg???? like I said I am very new to the archery world, any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Truglo on my bow just fine.  It's a toolless model that allows me to make adjustments on the fly, and the pins glow great in low light.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I also shoot with a TruGlo and love it. Mines the TSX Pro Tooless camo. Incredibly bright 5 pin. Rheostat light included (though you'll probably never need it)
Fiber optics are great and catch a ton of light with the wrap around style. Definitely worth a check. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot a Truglo as well. Easy to adjust, bright pins, and doesn't break the bank. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the heck out of my spot hogg, really solid sight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used several different sights, Spot Hogg, Black Gold, Schaffer.  I didn't shot them till they broke I would shoot one then change the next season.  I had an issue with needing the newest.  But I always get the ones with the micro pins.  Those seem to be what worked best for me regardless of the sight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:47:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#6]
Check out the Trophy Ridge React sights. I use the React 5.

The setup is super quick. Get the 20 yard pin nailed. Then dial in the 30y pin.

The sight is designed so that the 20y pin is independently adjusted. The 30, 40, 50 & 60y pins are mechanically connected ingeniously so they all adjust simultaneously with 1 dial, but the longer range pins move comparatively further with the turn of the dial.

It's ingenious. As long as the bow shoots within a certain speed range, the difference in drop between the 20 and 30y pins will determine how much the arrow drops at the longer ranges, hence, the design ensuring you never pick up your bow, to find all the pins at the bottom because they weren't tightened enough.

Just dial in the 20y and 30y pin, then check any of the others (40, 50 or 60 yard pins). The closer you dial in the farthest pins, the more accurately it dials in the nearer pins.

Since I personally won't take a bow shot past 60y, the React 5 works great for me.

For 3D competitions or folks taking shots out further, they have the single pin, dial for range, React One.

For a peep, check this one out

NiteHawkArchery peep sight

Watch the video explaining diffraction and how this peep works. I can honestly say, after using it, it works exactly the way the designer claims it does.

In fact, after using the NiteHawkArchery peep on my Obsession Evolution,  I've wondered why no one's ever made a rear BUIS with a "+" shaped aperture. I've even considered figuring out how to mod my irons to have a "+" shaped aperture.

The "+" would make consistently centering the tip of the front sight post instinctive, and the low light benefits would be a definite plus.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up one of these sights a few weeks ago from my local shop and love it! I needed to replace my old TruGlo, the fiber optics were cracked and I wanted an assembly with tool-less adjustments. It has been years since I bought sights so I was in shock with the price of some sights ($300-$400), I was not ready to spend that much on sights for my old Mathews Solocam. An employee showed me these Rocky Mountain sights and said he put them on his bow and he really likes them so I figured for $100, I would try them out. So far they have been awesome. They are solid, have small pins heads, and are very easy to adjust. I only needed an Allen wrench to remove one of the pins (5 down to 4) and adjust the individual pins. I did take some of the screws out of the housing and add some blue loctite but that probably wasn't necessary. I probably would have bought the direct mount model but they only had the extendable model at the shop. You can find them on Amazon for $55 or $70. When I compared them to the more expensive sights at the shop, they had many of the same features.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top