Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2013 10:28:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter660]
First, let me start off by saying I know almost nothing about bows.  Last summer my son joined the 4H shooting sports with the plans of shooting 22LR rifle.  We soon found out it was not a very popular class and there would be very opportunities to compete.  Instead of giving up, we decided to give archery a try since there was a meet almost every weekend.  He started in the "Compound Bare Bow" class.  We bought a Genesis bow because that was what was recommended to us, it was fairly inexpensive, and the local school has an archery program that uses the same bows if he decided to do that as well.  His first year shooting got off to a slow start, but ended up getting 17th in the state out of around 200 competitors if I remember right.  I was avery proud father.  Now he is shooting in NASP at his elementary school and is regularly one of their top 3 scorers.  The 2013 4H meets are coming up and he wants to get more serious with it and shoot in multiple classes.  Below are the rules for the classes.

Bowhunter Class- - Equipment allowed: stationary pins, release may be used, the length of the stabilizer cannot exceed twelve inches, no scopes, no illusion rings, no laser sights, no shafts or points larger then 11/32inches will be permitted.

Target Class- Equipment allowed: micrometer (click) or adjustable sights with or without scopes (no restriction on magnification), release may be used, any stabilizer, any diameter shaft permitted, no illusion rings or lasers.

Compound Bare Bow Class- Equipment allowed: no release aids permitted, gloves or tabs only, no stabilizers, no marked strings or bows, no sights permitted.

We have the Bare Bow class covered, but want to get one bow that will work for the other two classes.  From reviews and what I have learned about bows, we ordered him a Mission Craze bow in a custom color this weekend.  I can't wait to see his reaction.  Everyone else that competes has either a black or camo bow.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, we have the bow covered.  But now we need a rest, sights, stabilizer, release....???  I don't know where to go on this.  I trust the shop we ordered the bow from, but would like to get some input from another source.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could help, my son and daughter shoot longbows, as well as myself, and not in competition.

I suppose it sounds a little silly to ask other parents? You've surely done that already.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a bowhunter first so keep that in mind. I really like my QAD Ultra-Rest; however my wife and daughter both like their Limb Drivers. Sights - mostly personal preference. I would suggest getting one with adjustment knobs, much nicer then pushing it around. I shoot a back tension release (even as a hunter) been long enough since I used a strap release I can't help you much there. for a stab I'd get close to the 12" mark. I've never found the short ones to do much for me. Currently using a 11.5" Octane.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ABN-Panzer] [#3]
Both my daughters are avid shooters. 5 & 8yrs old.

5yr old is shooting a Diamond Nuclear Ice
8yr old has a Mathews Menace

I offer their age only because I didn't see the age of your son and wanted to add for simple comparison.

For sights they are shooting simple Cobra 3 & 5 pins.  the 5 pin proved a bit much for the 5yr old.
Both are shooting Tru-Fire trigger releases.

For Rests.
5yr old has a Hostage Pro
8yr old has a Whisker Biscuit.

Neither are using stabilizers....   So, unfortunately I cant offer anything there.

Might not be much help but figured it couldn't hurt to so a few other set-ups.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
We got the Mission Craze and just bought the package from Mission for ~$70.  Came with a drop down rest and a set of fiber optics sights with backup illumination.  He has not shot it much as he is now qualified to shoot at the National competition in NASP so he is just practicing with his Genesis right now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top