Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Broad head debate. (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2011 9:32:53 PM EDT
Its time for the broad head debate.  What is the best head you have ever shot and what is the worst head you have ever shot.

I personally shoot Slick Trick Magnums.  They stay razor sharp, fly perfect, and are reasonably priced.  I have to say the worst head I've ever shot was a Rage.  Everything about them felt cheap.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, I have yet to kill a deer with any broadhead, so I don't exactly have much experience to impart.  I currently have a couple 2-blade broadheads that have proven very effective, plus my son won some 3-blade broadheads that have shown themselves to be blood-gushers.

My son's 3-blade Phoenix broadheads by Red Feather Archery are single-bevel instead of dual-bevel and rotate as they enter.  I had the misfortune of missing my broadhead target one day while practicing and burying the broadhead in a 4x4 –– all the way up to the insert.  I couldn't just wiggle the broadhead out as it had rotated, just as it was supposed to.  I had to dig the dang thing out, and there's now a decent hole in that post.  There was no damage whatsoever to the broadhead.  That rotation is supposed to help keep the wound channel from closing, thus causing more bleeding.

I also have the RazorHawk from RFA as well, which is one of my 2-blades, and it, too is single-bevel, causing an S-shaped cut instead of just a slit.  My German-Kinetics SilverFlame 125XL is a typical 2-blade broadhead, except it's made of 440B steel, is tough as nails, and has a 1.5" cutting diameter.  A 1.5" cutting diameter on a fixed blade is very appealing to me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I just recently switched back to expandables. I have had good results wth the rage broad heads. I've killed 3 deer with them all pass throughs and into the ground. All of which the broad head was still intact with no significant damage. They open an absolutely huge hole in a deer.
I used muzzy 3 blades before the switch to the rage and had 0 problems with them I just fell for the marketing I guess.
Before the muzzy I used spitfire 3 blade expandables. I had success with them until I shot a 145/150 incher in Illinios and the broadhead didn't penetrate the shoulder blade. I saw the shaft hanging way out and flopping as the deer ran off and found the broken shaft about 60 yards out. Only about 2 inches of the shaft was missing. Never found the deer or any sign after that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Used to shoot Thunderheads way back when, good solid heads!!

Have shot Magnus 2 blade, 4 blade and the 3 blade Snuffers since 1998.  No need to change!!!  Yes, you have to be smart enough to sharpen your own, but its easy enough!!  Plus, their lifetime warranty is hard to beat!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought some Grim reaper Razor Tips from bass pro for a decent price a while back , i haven't got to use them yet but the look and feel pretty solid .

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Grim Reapers.  They fly as true to a field point as I have ever seen.  Worst has to be crimson talon.  Incredibly inconsistant groupings.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Switched to the T3 by G5. 3 blade expandable.

Crushed the shoulder bone on a perfectly broadside 200 lb boar. He trotted off 40 yards, sputtered, then dropped. The blood trail was massive. I could see the boar from my chair up against a big Live Oak tree. About 6 or 7 minutes later, a 80 pound sow came out and began eating acorns right about where the boar met my arrow. I quickly loaded another 350 gr. Carbon Express Maxima Hunter with a T3 on it. Ranged her at 32 yards, 5 yards closer than the boar. Pressed my release and hit her double lungs. She hauled ass for the marsh and collapsed about 60 yards from my chair directly behind me in some palmetto bushes. Huge blood trail and an easy track.

I'm sold on the T3. Pigs are heavy boned for their size and their heart/ lung area is located a little bit further forward than a deer, so the heart has better protection from archery tackle.

If I was to choose a second broadhead it would be an MX3 Muzzy 100 gr.

BTW, I gutted both the pigs on the spot and it took me 3.5 hours to drag them back the 3/4 mile to my truck. I need a game cart.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Rage
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Magnus Snuffer SS....have killed everything I have hit with them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Rage 2 blade...

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I like to keep it simple. Muzzy is tried and true and you can find them everywhere, but I do have to say I did have one come apart on a hard, off square shoulder hit. I know... shot placement shot placement- but it does happen.  Maybe it was my fault for not using the little tool for tightening. Who knows.  I've read nothing but good about the slick tricks and may try them on my elk trip this year. My buddy has used them in Africa a few times and really likes em and hey, if a broke guy is spending 10k on a hunt he's gonna be sure about his gear. One thing about them that I think is a pretty big deal is that they have a steel ferrule. I'd like to know who else has had their broadheads bend or break apart at the ferrule.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Rage 2 blade, since I started using them I have had 100% recovery.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both  muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. and spitfire mechanicals in my quiver.
I have been shooting Muzzy's for the last I don't know how many years...than last year got talked into some Spitfire mechanicals. I bought  a three pack...first shot...doe walks ten yards and fallls over, next week I hit an 8pt and he laid out the red carpet all 300 yards he ran...then dropped.  both mechanical spitfire broadheads were bent (shaft) and un repairable.  sucks that I can use a muzzy over and over and these mechanicals $10 each are shot after one shot... I do like the lethal end of the mechanical, that's why they are still in my quiver. once they are gone I will be a fixed blade guy always.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#15]
still shooting Thunderheads. All i have ever shot
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Ramcats!

I also have a few Montecs in the quiver.

I just couldn't warm up to Rage, but I may try the Ulmer's this year.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#17]
3 blade Bloodrunner. They fly great and cut huge holes. Lost deer with slick trick and rage.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Normal Rage 2 Blader here, however this year I am going to try the new Rage 2 Blade Xtremes to see what I think
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone one use two blade fixed broadheads?  I saw some in the store the other day and liked the way they looked, I'm currently using Muzzy MX-3's and have no complaints.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 1:38:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: loonybin] [#20]

Originally Posted By POW-MIAneverforget:

Does anyone one use two blade fixed broadheads?  I saw some in the store the other day and liked the way they looked, I'm currently using Muzzy MX-3's and have no complaints.
View Quote

The RazorHawks by Red feather Archery I mentioned are two-blade single bevel heads.  Very strong design, and made from a good stainless steel that takes an edge really well.  No more having to buy extra blades.  Just sharpen these up and keep right on going.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I started out using the Bear Razors without the bleeder blade, then I switched to thunderheads and had really good luck with them. The last three years I've been using Titepoint Shuttle T locks and have had good luck with them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I went with the NAP Killzone COC this year.  So far a doe at 18yrds and a buck at less than 10yrds.  Neither ran over 30yrds.  Very impressed with the wound channel from these broad heads.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Montec fixed three blade by g5 archery.  Same poi as my field points, come scary scarp, and easy to re sharpen. Good results on my only archery kill, a 6 point at 30 yards.  Cut a perfect triangular hole through both sides of rib cage
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Rage 2 blade worked well for me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#25]
I used slick trick standards for the frst time this year.

took a button buck at 20 yards, It was a pass through,  hit both lungs and the liver. He ran 30 feet, stopped, walked another 10 feet and fell over dead.

there was lung hanging out the exit hole.

Link Posted: 11/13/2013 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm stuck between three. (All 100gr)  Muzzy MX3, QAD Exodus or Slick-Trick
Mags???? Read good and unsatisfactory reviews on all. Shooting Bear Legion - 29"
Draw , 65lbs
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Rage 2 Blade suck shot 3 deer with them not Impressed. The best results I got were with Muzzy 3 blade.

This year I'm using T3's and cant wait to try them out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Always support G5 Montec
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I have always used Spitfires, never lost a deer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#30]
G5 Striker. 125 gr.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IIRC:

Ditto, except I use Slick Trick standards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mbpike:
Its time for the broad head debate.  What is the best head you have ever shot and what is the worst head you have ever shot.

I personally shoot Slick Trick Magnums.  They stay razor sharp, fly perfect, and are reasonably priced.  I have to say the worst head I've ever shot was a Rage.  Everything about them felt cheap.

same.

With FOBs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:37:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#33]

Lol, same here.   Black FOBs and black knocks
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mach:

same.

With FOBs.

LOL......Maybe we are long lost brothers.

I use Gold Tip Arrows, what do you use?

I use green FOBs and lighted knocks, but I can not remember which ones. Either Nocturnals or Luminocks. One of them works with FOBs and the other does not because it requires the arrow shaft to complete the circuit, and has small wires on the bottom. But I made a mod for them to work b using aluminum tape on the FOB before I found that the other brand works with FOBs out of the package.

The nock on the right is the one that works without the FOB mod.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:59:09 AM EDT
[#35]

I use green FOBs and lighted knocks, but I can not remember which ones. Either Nocturnals or Luminocks. One of them works with FOBs and the other does not because it requires the arrow shaft to complete the circuit, and has small wires on the bottom. But I made a mod for them to work b using aluminum tape on the FOB before I found that the other brand works with FOBs out of the package.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/14ED5B30-1802-4E08-86E9-A9B77FF38406-1224-000000A0C339928B_zpsdd2606c4.jpg

The nock on the right   is the one that works without the FOB mod.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/5022F914-EE51-48E1-8D6E-257010924297-1224-000000A0777230ED_zpse8fa7b6e.jpg
View All Quotes

same.

With FOBs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/14ED5B30-1802-4E08-86E9-A9B77FF38406-1224-000000A0C339928B_zpsdd2606c4.jpg

The nock on the right   is the one that works without the FOB mod.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/5022F914-EE51-48E1-8D6E-257010924297-1224-000000A0777230ED_zpse8fa7b6e.jpg

Nocturnal  

Thanks, thats good to know.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I shot Rage for a while...fell into the hype.

Got sick and tired of always putting the blades back in the O-Ring....then they came out with the shock collar....fixed that, but now I have to replace the blades AND the shock collar after a shot(yeah, I know you can re-use them...no thanks).

Shoot the NAP Killzone now.  No blades coming loose even through thick stuff.  No shock collars to worry about, they just work.  Blades don't break on normal shots like the Rage seem to do every time.

Wound channels are the same.  All the benefits, none of the drawbacks.  I don't understand why people still shoot rage with better options on the market for the same price or less.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Standard slick tricks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:44:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#38]
I have a collection of upshot broad-heads.  My expandables are so old the o-rings are rotten.  My muzzy are ancient as well.  Saw these last night.  They might not be the best flying - but for a 14 year old step-son who watches too much walking dead (and zombie stuff), bet the smile will be priceless.

I can laugh about them - but other than the blades - they are all but essentially the same head as my ancient muzzy 3 blade chisel points

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:10:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Towely] [#39]
Used Muzzy replaceable fixed blades last year.  Had good results but they took a little tuning to get hitting exactly the same as my field points.  On the plus side it got me to get my bow well tuned.

Even on shots that normally wouldn't leave a great blood trail I got good blood.  Had a slightly quartering to shot that just barely clipped the shoulder and still got full pass through.  Had a heavily quartering away shot that went in just in front of the rear leg, clipped one lung, destroyed the other, and buried itself in the opposite shoulder.  No pass through but I got an absolutely brutal blood trail to follow that I only had to follow 50 yards.

Changed some stuff on my bow this year and didn't have time to dick around with tuning.  Gave the Muzzy's to my dad as he was already hitting spot on with my practice blade with them and I was not.  Picked up a pack of 2 blade Rages instead. I already had a pack of rages from years ago from my dad but never used them.  There were only 2 left and only 2 broadheads in the quiver, just don't like the idea.  Practice tip hits an inch higher than my field points.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm inline with you, OP.  I shot and lost the biggest deer I've seen in the wild last year with a Rage Xtreme, and I shot and lost (later killed on the neighbor's) an 11 point in velvet last September with a Rage Hypodermic.  I believe I'm going to bite he bullet and switch to Slick Tricks for next fall.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:10:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rhombeus] [#41]
Anybody tried Gravediggers from Bloodsport yet?
Hybrid design, looking for opinions.

Link

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I have had reaaly good luck with Wasp Jak- Hammers.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:29:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Does anyone remember the Atom Broadheads?  I used those and the head few apart on inside a ram.  Worse heads I have ever used.

I have since gone back to just using fixed blade broadheads.  Currently using NAP Thunderheads.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By talon370:
Does anyone remember the Atom Broadheads?  I used those and the head few apart on inside a ram.  Worse heads I have ever used.

I have since gone back to just using fixed blade broadheads.  Currently using NAP Thunderheads.
View Quote
I remember those.  I wasn't convinced.  Since I posted last (a few years ago...), I have had the fortune to take down a couple does with the RazorHawk broadheads.  Very little blood trail due to hitting the liver both times, but since they dropped within eyesight, tracking was a non-issue. As soon as I flipped the deer over so the exit hole was facing the ground, blood just poured out. I am going to try the newer Magnus Black Hornet 4-blade broadheads that are shorter and wider to see what kind of blood trail I get.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Buddy shot a deer complete pass thru with a muzzy trocar quartering away, in behind the leg and out thru the chest, gave the deer 3 hours to bed down and die and we tracked it 2 miles till the blood disappeared.

I shot a deer with an NAP spitfire and complete pass thru with cutting clean thru ribs on both sides. Shot was from 30 yards, deer walked 80 yards and dropped.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WingsFan86] [#46]
Picked up some 3-Blade (fixed) Wac 'Em broadheads a few weeks ago when Gander Mountain was closing the doors, figured I would give them a try for $11. They seem to fly just as well as my 100gr field tips. Waiting for a buck to come within 40 yards to try them out. Anyone here used them?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone tried bi-polar mechanicals?
www.bi-polarbroadheads.com
I cant figure out how to hot link sorry.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I use Thunderheads.  My father in law took four Elk with them easy.  125gr.  I may upgrade to the full carbon Montec single piece blades.  I am not a fan of mechanical blades.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#49]
When I first started hunting I tried a 3 blade Muzzy fixed-blade Broadhead. I went from shooting quarter-size group to  6-8 inch groups. I tried everything I could to tune those with no success. I quickly retired those and switch to the nap 125 grain Spitfires. I was never fond of how the blades were retained and found them to be a pain to reset and clean. I then found the Grim Reaper razor tips. I've been using those for the past 15 years. Every deer I've shot has dropped within sight, with blood trails that Ray Charles could follow.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#50]
I just ordered some broadheads today, getting ready for hunting season. I am not much for spending a pile of cash for a set of 3 broadheads though. I used thunderheads for years with great results. this year im trying out a fixed three blade. I ordered 24 broadheads for $60 bucks. qhich should be almost a lifetime hunting supply. they are kind of a generic, but I read a few good reviews on them. Not super fancy, but should work well enough, and look to be easily resharpened. I also considered getting some of the killzone mechanicals to try out, and still might.

fixed three blade.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Broad head debate. (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top