Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 6/20/2017 6:17:46 PM EDT
Been thinking about getting into bowhunting since last year.  My brother has recently gotten into recurve archery for fun, and I got the bug visiting him.  But I would want to hunt with it and so a compound bow is what I sought.
Had a little cashola burning a hole in my pocket so I cruised down to the local archery store here to get set up.  Being a total noob, I just trusted them to put me in something that would suit me properly, and they had a trade-in Mathews Heli-M with several accessories on it for what I believe was a very good out the door price.

I admit I don't have a great frame of reference, but it was extremely easy and comfortable to shoot.  Didn't take much adjustment to set up for me either, previous owner was right about my size.  I'm pretty fired up about it, gonna spend the summer practicing at their range.  I can totally see how this can become a very addicting hobby.

Anyways, pic:

Go ahead and haze the noob.  I have much to learn (like everything.)

Oh, and while going through my sighting in/test drive shots, despite being coached on how to avoid it, I murdered my forearm with a string strike.  Pain is a wonderful teacher, I do believe I will be very conscious of my form in the fture.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Heli-M is what I use for elk and deer, it's a good bow. The Mathews T series quiver is a good one to mount, shaft retention is very good.

ETA  It looks like you have part of a quiver already on the bow.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heli-M is what I use for elk and deer, it's a good bow. The Mathews T series quiver is a good one to mount, shaft retention is very good.

ETA  It looks like you have part of a quiver already on the bow.
View Quote
Yeah, it came with the quiver mounted, I just forgot to take it out of the case and pop it on for the photo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Great bow. Glad you got a good deal. Now look up John Dudley and learn every thing you need for tuning and shooting.

On on that string slap you keep a slight bend in your bow arm and check your grip at a 45 degree angle. Also check you draw length because this can also affect you (even 1" long... Where you said about).

What release and arrows are you gonna shoot. Do you know what draw weight they set it. Archery talk is like the AR15.com of the archery world. Just with out the bronies and furies...
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great bow. Glad you got a good deal. Now look up John Dudley and learn every thing you need for tuning and shooting.

On on that string slap you keep a slight bend in your bow arm and check your grip at a 45 degree angle. Also check you draw length because this can also affect you (even 1" long... Where you said about).

What release and arrows are you gonna shoot. Do you know what draw weight they set it. Archery talk is like the AR15.com of the archery world. Just with out the bronies and furies...
View Quote
I was gonna ask what the ARFCOM equivalent was, thanks.

So I got myself a guard for while I learn so I don't have to keep learning the hard way, and rotating my elbow out works well, it's just a muscle memory thing.

The bow was set for me at a little over 60 pounds, and draw length at 29.5"

I'm using a TRU Ball Assassin release, and Gold Tip Velocity Pro arrows.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top