Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 4/25/2017 7:37:44 PM EDT
I'm new to compound bows but would like one to play with. A pawn shop has one for $40, probably just the bow itself. Is it worth messing with? I know used bows can be a crap shoot because you don't know if it was fired unloaded or anything, but this one is pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably not.  From what I remember, that was PSE's budget bow from last decade.  Tey probably priced it at $40 because they can't get rid of it.

If you want a toy, fine.  If you want to learn archery, you'll be doing yourself a HUGE disservice if the bow doesn't fit you correctly.  

Either way, don't dump any money into it (new strings, the correct cam, etc) otherwise you'll put yourself behind what could have been a far superior new budget bow purchase.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably not.  From what I remember, that was PSE's budget bow from last decade.  Tey probably priced it at $40 because they can't get rid of it.

If you want a toy, fine.  If you want to learn archery, you'll be doing yourself a HUGE disservice if the bow doesn't fit you correctly.  

Either way, don't dump any money into it (new strings, the correct cam, etc) otherwise you'll put yourself behind what could have been a far superior new budget bow purchase.

Hope that helps!
View Quote
It does. Is there a standard now that is recommended for beginners on a budget? Not looking to hunt for now, just to target shoot in the backyard. It doesn't even need to be a compound now for now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It does. Is there a standard now that is recommended for beginners on a budget? Not looking to hunt for now, just to target shoot in the backyard. It doesn't even need to be a compound now for now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope that helps!
Go to cabelas or sportsmanship wearhouse and try out some of their cheap packages. You should be able to get a good setup for $300-$400 bucks pretty easy.

Even better, go to a local archery shop. May cost a little more but they will set up the bow for you.

ETA: archery isn't cheap, even beginner, basic setups are expensive. Also, bows don't hold they value at all, they are not like firearms. Buying a used bow of unknown vintage and maintenance is going to cost damn near what a cheap new bow will when you factor in new strings, tuning, and possibly broken parts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate the info. It sounds like it's a little over my budget for now for what will be little more than a toy right now. It sounds like fun for $40, 10x that and I have other things that need to be done.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I have shot one in the past - they actually are a serviceable bow, although hardly comparable to current equipment. I'd see if I could get it down even more - if you can it would be OK for playing around with. It is important to have the draw length set correctly for your draw; think the one I shot had modules (it was a friends) if it needs a module change I would want to be sure I could get my hands on the correct one before proceeding.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Check the limbs for draw length and lbs. You should go ahead and plan on replacing the string. If you take a q-tip and rub along the limbs and it snags thats signs of dry fire damage. The last thing you want is a bow to blow up on you. Check archery talk classifieds, craigslist, or a local hunting group/forum. Plenty of people have old compounds squirreled away that could be had cheap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 3:35:55 AM EDT
[#7]
[Deleted]
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top