Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2016 3:45:29 PM EDT
I'd like to get into Bow hunting next season.  

I don't currently, nor have I ever owned a compound bow.  Used a few years ago.  

I get the set up of the bow and I would most likely have to get it tuned to fit, but what's the option on getting a used bow from Craigslist or similar?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go to a sporting shop  and get some education before buying ..
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Tempting I know but I wouldn't do it.  Any savings on the bow will be eaten up by the bow shop charges to fix it up for you..  go to a bow shop and see if they have a used one .  They would prolly set it up for you free.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd go to a sporting shop  and get some education before buying ..
View Quote

Yep; I would not buy used until I was more knowledgeable and knew what I liked and what I didn't. Try as many as you can.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
So, what am I looking for when selecting a Bow?

I hear you saying educate myself, well, I'm listening.    Help a guy out.

EDIT:    Going back to read some sticked threads, but advice is welcome.    Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
All the the major brands are fine so it is mostly a matter of personal preference. You are simply looking for ones that are comfortable & work for you. That's why whatever someone else is shooting is useless information.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably also worth seeing if your local shop(s) sell used. Mine does and you can get some great deals and know that they're in good shape.

That said, I scored an awesome Hoyt for $250 on CL. I love the thing.

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Dartons are the best! also you dont need a 70 lb bow just because you can pull it back...i'm 6'5" 325 and i have a 55 lb that performs just as well and is comfy to shoot!

sincerely
Dartons head compound bow tech.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The biggest problem is getting a bow that fits you.  Do you know your draw length?  Do you know how that translates to all the manufacturers' draw length measurements, because they are all slightly different?  None of the major manufacturers put out junk, or they wouldn't be in business very long.  Not like the gun business....  

Shoot a few and pick the one with the draw cycle and shot that feels best to you.

When you buy from a shop (pro shops are DEFINITELY preferred, as the big box stores simply do not normally have the resources to work with you through the whole process), they have the means to swap cams and set up the bow to fit you.  You may get lucky and buy a used bow that fits perfectly, but don't go through months of frustration attempting to shoot a bow accurately that doesn't quite fit, and develop bad habits in the process that you will have to later shake.  I speak from experience, and would have been much better off spending the money up front for a proper bow fitting.

This is important because it directly impacts your ability to hold groups with broadheads.  You may be the best field point shooter in the world, but those groups make no difference in the woods.  Any form issue you have will be magnified with BHs.

Now accessories, THAT's where to save money on used equipment!  Sight, rest, quiver, stabilizer, release, etc will add up quick.  Buy these used and bring them to the shop...just don't buy crap.

Another tip, one does not simply "get into" bowhunting...you have to completely immerse yourself in it to be routinely successful.  I learned a hell of a lot more about hunting deer in the couple years it took me to finally tag one with my bow than I did in 15 years of rifle hunting!  It's definitely addicting (frustrating)!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes you can buy a Craigslist/used bow and be fine. The thing with bows is that they are like guns. The grips are different, they tune and shoot different. What works for me may not be what you would ultimately choose if you could try 20 of them and pick the best. Bow Brands have fanboys just like guns, and so you will hear many saying this or that is the best. That being said most mainline brands are good and do the job. If you buy a used one, you will want it set up and tuned for you. Do not skip this as this is the most important thing to get it accurate, comfortable, and pleasant to shoot. It is worth the $40 it costs at a shop for this. If you see one on craigslist that interests you, go to archerytalk and you will have all the research you need to make a decision if it is worth it. They are the Arf.com of the archery world. Also their classifieds are probably the cheapest comparably for the same bow. They regularly unload bows for the newer better bow. My first serious bow I purchased myself was a Bowtech Assassin used off ebay, that is , was and still is a freakin great bow that can be had cheap. I still have it, others have come and go but I will give that one to my daughter down the road. Local bow shop set it and tuned it for me and did not charge me since I bought some arrows. I am a huge Bowtech fan, and I have had others but always go back to Bowtech. Buy it, tune it, and have a great time.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top