Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 11/25/2015 11:21:56 PM EDT
Looking for some guidance on a bow purchase for my stepdaughter.  She's expressed interest in a bow for basic archery.  I'm thinking at her age and skill level some sort of recurve bow would be in order.  Probably would like to keep it $100 or under just because I don't know how far her interest will go.  So what am I looking for?  Which brand?  I'd appreciate any help or guidance since this isn't my forte of knowledge.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at PSE Genesis
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking for some guidance on a bow purchase for my stepdaughter.  She's expressed interest in a bow for basic archery.  I'm thinking at her age and skill level some sort of recurve bow would be in order.  Probably would like to keep it $100 or under just because I don't know how far her interest will go.  So what am I looking for?  Which brand?  I'd appreciate any help or guidance since this isn't my forte of knowledge.  Thanks.
View Quote

A compound will let her hold the draw, so she can take her time aiming, much more easily than a recurve.

If you don't have much space, these won't go very far, even if you try.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Let try as many as possible and see what she likes. Unfortunately $100 isn't going to get you very far; any of the major brands would be fine. I switched back to a recurve after many years away from them and I'm really enjoying it. You could get into a Samick Sage or Martin Jaguar (you may read about limb issues with them but they solved that problem a few years back now) pretty reasonably and as takedowns you can get additional limbs as she gains experience and wants a bit more draw weight. I'd have her try bows in the 30-35# range to start with. May start checking garage sales if you really want to do iron the cheap.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
My advice would be to seek out a local JOAD or 4H Archery coach.  Most of the time they are happy to have new kids come out and shoot.  They will almost certainly have a suitable bow. Don't buy a bow until somebody verifies her draw length and you know how much draw weight she can handle.  Most archery shops can handle this.

When you talk to coaches ask about equipment.  Opinions might vary slightly, but ask about these specific bows:

Target Recurve Bow: Samick Polaris $100 shipped
Target Single Cam:  Mathews Genesis $160 shipped

The Samick Polaris is THE starter bow in Olympic Recurve.  Several other brands market identical looking bows that probably originate in the same factory, but the Polaris is the better grade.  It can take a kid from their fist shots through state level competition.  Good resale value.
The Genesis might be the easiest bow in the world to shoot, and it will be hard to outgrow.  Good resale value.

Around $140 you can get into a recurve with ILF limbs.  If your child doesn't stick with it, you could resell and be out very little if any.  Last bow I parted out, I made money.  If I was going to do it again this would be my choice.

Don't forget to budget for string, arrows, arm guard, tab, etc..  Easy $100 without a sight.  It might seem expensive at first, but the equipment is the least costly thing about archery.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Recurves are not good as a starter for teens, particularly girls who will likely not have the strength as a teenage boy.  I have a Samick Sage which my son (13) and daughter (11) shoots.  I had to get an arrow rest and a sight for it for them to acquire the target quickly.  With a recurve, you are holding all those lbs of draw back while aiming.

A compound will have let off, which is usually listed as a percentage.  So if you have a compound bow with 20lbs draw weight and 50% let off, the shooter is only holding back 10 lbs while aiming.  Most compounds are usually around 70%.

Going back to the recurve, because these don't have let off, you will need lighter limbs installed. For her, it will likely be the lightest limbs available.  It will limit the distance to target that she can reliable shoot.  So depending on the range she will shoot at, it may not work.

I would get a compound bow with a rest and a sight to maximize her enjoyment of the sport. Look at a wrist release as well.

Most will recommend the Genesis, but that is not as adjustable, and she will outgrow it quickly if she takes to the sport.  I would suggest looking at the Diamond Infinite Edge or similar bows that have significant adjustment ranges for both draw weight and draw length.  The package deals are going for $319 right now.  That includes the bow, rest, and sight.

Depending on where she is in her teens, she might need the Genesis Pro or X.  Those are more expensive, and when you add the rest and sights for the package, you will be close to the Infinite Edge in price but with much less adjustability as she improves and grows (physically).  The Genesis Pros go for about $170 as a bare bow, and the X for about $200.  

Beware though, I believe the Genesis bows have little to no let off.  I've shoot those at Boy Scout camps and have not been impressed, neither has my son.

Overall, I would recommend putting money in the bow, and not the arrows.  Just start out with cheaper target arrows for now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Hard to beat this deal

Diamond Archery Cabelas Kit
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard to beat this deal

Diamond Archery Cabelas Kit
View Quote

+1

Got my fiance' an infinite edge.  It's an excellent bow that can grow with her and it shoots surprisingly well for the price.  One of the few bows out there that anyone from a young kid to a full grown man could shoot and fit them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Targets or hunting?
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Recurves are not good as a starter for teens, particularly girls who will likely not have the strength as a teenage boy.  I have a Samick Sage which my son (13) and daughter (11) shoots.  I had to get an arrow rest and a sight for it for them to acquire the target quickly.  With a recurve, you are holding all those lbs of draw back while aiming.

A compound will have let off, which is usually listed as a percentage.  So if you have a compound bow with 20lbs draw weight and 50% let off, the shooter is only holding back 10 lbs while aiming.  Most compounds are usually around 70%.

Going back to the recurve, because these don't have let off, you will need lighter limbs installed. For her, it will likely be the lightest limbs available.  It will limit the distance to target that she can reliable shoot.  So depending on the range she will shoot at, it may not work.

I would get a compound bow with a rest and a sight to maximize her enjoyment of the sport. Look at a wrist release as well.

Most will recommend the Genesis, but that is not as adjustable, and she will outgrow it quickly if she takes to the sport.  I would suggest looking at the Diamond Infinite Edge or similar bows that have significant adjustment ranges for both draw weight and draw length.  The package deals are going for $319 right now.  That includes the bow, rest, and sight.

Depending on where she is in her teens, she might need the Genesis Pro or X.  Those are more expensive, and when you add the rest and sights for the package, you will be close to the Infinite Edge in price but with much less adjustability as she improves and grows (physically).  The Genesis Pros go for about $170 as a bare bow, and the X for about $200.  

Beware though, I believe the Genesis bows have little to no let off.  I've shoot those at Boy Scout camps and have not been impressed, neither has my son.

Overall, I would recommend putting money in the bow, and not the arrows.  Just start out with cheaper target arrows for now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't necessarily agree with this. My archery experience as a teen was with a recurve as compounds didn't hit the market until I was already in the sport. I went from that to a compound then back to a recurve. I never enjoyed the compound as much as shooting a recurve; compounds just leave me cold. Yes she will have to start with lower poundage limbs but so what. Women in Olympic archery shoot about 38# and the target is at 70 meters. If she shoots 25 pounds at 20-25yds until she develops I just don't see a problem. It really comes down to what her interests are, hunting, 3D, field archery and what kind of bow interests her. Let her try as many examples of different types of bows as she can and decide for herself. Obviously there are far more compound shooters out there than recurves or longbows , they are certainly easier to shoot and require far less practice to stay reasonably proficient and if that is her preference then fine, but let her decide.

Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top