Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2015 7:42:21 AM EDT
Guy owed $150 and paid me in bows...And I know nothing about bows but it was this or nothing out of the guy.
Hang them on the wall or get arrows and start practicing?
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The bowyer was named Harold Groves - was never much of a player in the industry, don't think I ever ran into one back in my youth when I was shooting recurves. Unfortunately, they have very little value. They are likely 60's vintage bows. 63# is fairly stiff - you won't find it easy at all to shoot unless you are familiar with traditional bows. I shot a 60# compound before hanging it up and going traditional; I currently shoot a couple of 45# recurves, I don't have any trouble with a good 50# bow but at 55# I tire pretty quickly and I've been shooting traditional for a couple of years now. I guess my point is take it easy, it's really easy to develop bad habits when you are over-bowed. I would examine the limbs closely for any signs of separations, twist etc. If all looks well I'd get a new string and a stringer (unless you already have one) and then draw it back slowly, if all looks and sounds well back to full draw then I'd go ahead and shoot it a bit and see how it goes. I really like 10 Ring Strings, Allen does great work and is very fast; get them with his string silencers as well. Hopefully someone will be along who can give you more details - like I said I shot recurves in my teen years back in the early 70's and have kicked around on a few of the traditional sites since coming back to them so I know about enough to be dangerous. Hope it works out for you; I'd be curious to hear how you like them.

Here is the link for Allen:  http://www.tenringstrings.com

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bowyer was named Harold Groves - was never much of a player in the industry, don't think I ever ran into one back in my youth when I was shooting recurves. Unfortunately, they have very little value. They are likely 60's vintage bows. 63# is fairly stiff - you won't find it easy at all to shoot unless you are familiar with traditional bows. I shot a 60# compound before hanging it up and going traditional; I currently shoot a couple of 45# recurves, I don't have any trouble with a good 50# bow but at 55# I tire pretty quickly and I've been shooting traditional for a couple of years now. I guess my point is take it easy, it's really easy to develop bad habits when you are over-bowed. I would examine the limbs closely for any signs of separations, twist etc. If all looks well I'd get a new string and a stringer (unless you already have one) and then draw it back slowly, if all looks and sounds well back to full draw then I'd go ahead and shoot it a bit and see how it goes. I really like 10 Ring Strings, Allen does great work and is very fast; get them with his string silencers as well. Hopefully someone will be along who can give you more details - like I said I shot recurves in my teen years back in the early 70's and have kicked around on a few of the traditional sites since coming back to them so I know about enough to be dangerous. Hope it works out for you; I'd be curious to hear how you like them.

Here is the link for Allen:  http://www.tenringstrings.com  
View Quote

I strung them and tested the draw last night and i will say I thought that using them would be a challenge. I just figured I was getting old
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about that but yeah 63# is pretty darn heavy; back in the day they shot that kind of weight. The trend is to go a bit lighter now. 45-55 would cover most of the traditional gear that goes out into the woods today to chase deer.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump........
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump........
View Quote

Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top