Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 4/7/2015 8:12:35 PM EDT
Hi, I am looking for my first bow. I'm looking for something for both hunting and target practice so maybe something light? And also I am 6 feet tall with somewhat long arms. I have shot bows before that did not have a long enough pull. My budget is around $300-$400 max. I have looked at used but do not really know what to look for as i am more of a gun guy. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Bows are very individual and all you are going to get from anyone is what they prefer, which is absolutely useless info to you. I would go to a pro shop get measured and try as many as you can. Hoyt compounds always get plenty of recommendations and while I shoot traditional now I never shot one in my compound days that I cared for even a little - just because it is popular doesn't mean it is a good fit for you. With that kind of price range (I assume that means fully dressed) you are probably going to have to go used, which isn't easy for someone with little experience. Until you know what you like and what you don't I'd keep the search local so you can try them out. Any of the major players would be fine. I'm assuming compound if you are interested in traditional then I'll give another response.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bows are very individual and all you are going to get from anyone is what they prefer, which is absolutely useless info to you. I would go to a pro shop get measured and try as many as you can. Hoyt compounds always get plenty of recommendations and while I shoot traditional now I never shot one in my compound days that I cared for even a little - just because it is popular doesn't mean it is a good fit for you. With that kind of price range (I assume that means fully dressed) you are probably going to have to go used, which isn't easy for someone with little experience. Until you know what you like and what you don't I'd keep the search local so you can try them out. Any of the major players would be fine. I'm assuming compound if you are interested in traditional then I'll give another response.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I have a few friends who are into archery and they have a friend who runs a shop so I will try to go there. And yeah I am sticking with compound bows for now. Maybe later on once I get into the sport then I will start to expand out a little more. I am just trying to find something decent to last me for a little while that does not break the bank before I go all in and buy a top of the line bow.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Is a crossbow out of the question?
Hoyts best seller is the Faktor. But it's around $500-600 bucks, but it's their best seller cause price range and a good shooting bow.
Used you need to watch, cause there could be issues some unseen. But there are good ones as well. I've sold all my bows on archery talk but get a new one either every other or every year, depends. I wouldn't buy a bow older then say 4 years personally. Ones I see used in shops are old and worthless. Plus most issues I seen from hand me downs, garage sales, etc are that the draw lengths never fit the shooter. That is key of everything.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top