Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2015 11:00:09 AM EDT
Good morning all,

I'm currently shooting a Hoyt MT Sport with ZR200 Limbs.

Great little bow, have had it for a decade and shoot it very well inside 40 yards. I'm looking to get a new bow that will pull in the 80-90# range to give me a little more reach and margin for error.

Hoping to avoid the "you only need 55 pounds to kill a deer" argument. My reason for 80-90# pull is because Cameron Hanes does it and I want to be like him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
It's your body, I know a few guys who are around 70 now that have told me they wish they hadn't used those bows when they were younger. Even with a compound.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's your body, I know a few guys who are around 70 now that have told me they wish they hadn't used those bows when they were younger. Even with a compound.
View Quote

I know more than a few of those guys - one quite personally and he ain't 70...

but OP, I am sure you will impress a lot of people pulling 90 lbs...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think you should be comfortable shooting deer or elk past 40 yards with 60-70 lbs.  If your not you should practice more.

Now if you want to go past 40 yards on a rhino then I say jump to 100lbs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My faktor 30 is only at 64.5lbs (70 lbs max) and is slinging a 350gr arrow at 300fps.  I'm new to the game but dropping 3" groups at 50 yards.

Not shatting on your thread, but I would think that arrow speed and accuracy would be more than enough for any North American game. Can someone explain why an 80-90lb bow would even be desired outside of super thick skinned African game?

Hell, there are bows touching 350+ at 70lbs with the new tech.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Cameron Hanes? uberdouche...
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
80-90#? Man, save yourself and shoulder from a world of hurt in the future and stick around 70. I pulled back and shot an 85# bow once and nearly shit myself. I only did a group of 6 before my shoulder started to get sore. Never again. I'm only 5' 10" and 190#, so that might have something to do with it. I can do 70# for at least a couple hours with no shoulder pain at all.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
90# pull after sitting in a treestand in 30 degree weather for hours. I cannot believe youd be the least bit smooth on the draw nor be able to hold that arrow as long as is necessary on some shots. And then there is the let down if you don't release the arrow...
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a PSE 70 # and it is a bear,so to speak. I could not imagine drawing 90#.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you religiously lift weights and work your back muscles weekly?  Do you shoot everyday?

I do, and have considered stepping up to an 80 lbs bow because I have no issues drawing back my current 70 lbs bow in freezing temps.

Before I shot every day and lifted, I cannot say I was able to do the same.  Even in the rare event that I go a week without shooting now, I'm definitely more fatigued with my 70 lbs bow than I would like.  This then has to translate to a hunt where you're not shooting much if any, and your first shot that week with a broadhead under field conditions must be flawless. The heavier draw would be even THAT much more unforgiving to time spent away from shooting.

As a side note, Cameron Hanes is a boss!  He's literally the perfect spokesperson for our lifestyle, and it's disappointing to see fellow hunters and shooters hate on him because they can't do what he can do
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Bear 70# I got new in 2008. I like it but my Vietnamese buddy can't pull the string back. ??

I was thinking of dropping to a 50# pull weight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#11]
CH works out to the extreme every day. He shoots out to a 100 yds regularly. If you have the ability go for it but as a weekend warrior who does not get paid via indorsments I will stick with 65# and keep hammering with that. It hasn't let me down yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Bows have improved greatly since you bought that hoyt, you really don't need anything over 70lbs. you will need to be in crazy good shape, and practice regularly to maintain the accuracy you have now. Archery is all about form, and yours will go to shit after a couple dozen arrows at 85lbs. "I only need one"  is BS, you still need to practice.

Hell most of the bow manufacturer's don't even make limbs in that weight range any longer, Hoyt may be the only one. You will have to purchase and set up properly splined arrows also, which will be harder than you think.

I just don't think there is any logical reason to go beyond 70lbs anymore, except your ego.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top