Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 8/25/2014 10:06:16 AM EDT
I'm thinking about expanding my hunting time this year with a new compound bow so I can hunt archery season. I shot a lot of traditional archery many, many years ago, but it's been around 25 years since I was even in an archery shop. I stopped by a local archery shop this weekend to get an idea of how a compound bow would feel and what it might cost to get into an entry level hunting setup. I was impressed with the technology - peep sights and a release are a far cry from a three finger glove - but was surprised the bow prices were right at MSRP. Coming from a gun buyers background, I was expecting the actual over the counter cost to be somewhat less than manufacturer's MSRP, but everything in the shop was set exactly at MSRP. Was this shop setting prices "high", or is this standard practice for compound bows?

I really liked the Mission Riot I ended up trying, but the total cost for the package was quoted at $625 ($400 for the bow itself), which was notably more than I was expecting. This was a well reccomended shop, so I didn't raise a stink and I was up front with the salesman that I most likely was not going to purchase anything today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been an avid archer since 1997, i have worked in the Archery industry and been on pro staffs in the past as well and can tell you first hand... Archery like other hobbies, is not cheap.
The prices of a brand new bow in 1998 was $399 now days the average price is over $600 and $800 for a top of the line speed bow.
I would say try to support your local shop as much as you can but, look around for other prices too to stay competitive.
Craigslist and Archery forum classifieds are always a good way to pick up a year to two older bow for a good price.
The Mission Riot is a great bow... I was really impresses when it first came out.
Alot of manfacturers have a MSRP and a MAP (Minimum advertised price).....

Good luck in your purchase.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I've posted the same question in a couple of places, and from what I've hearing it seems that for a shop to sell at MSRP is pretty much standard practice, whereas most firearms are generally sold at something less than MSRP.  I'm fine with paying a few hundred more than I originally anticipated, I just didn't want to do so and then realize most other places were selling at a price noticeably below MSRP  I thought I would buy my first bow 100% new, and have it completely set up by a pro shop.  Once I have a year or two of archery under my belt I figure to have enough knowledge to be able to make reasonable decisions on used gear.

I'm going to try out one more shop that carries some alternate brands before I buy.  I did like the adjustability of the Riot, specifically because I have a susipicion once I start archery the SO and/or the boy will quickly become interested and most likely my first bow will become the first bow for one of them in about a year
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Big name bows Like Mathews (Mission), Hoyt, Bowtech, and PSE will stick to thier MSRP pretty well....
I will send you a PM with some info at places to look.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to a pro shop whatever you do
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to a pro shop whatever you do
View Quote

But ask them when do they have sales.  Retailers don't like you to hit the door because the likelihood of you coming back later to make the purchase is extremely low.

Here are some more stats:

1. Probability of sale for repeat customers is usually around 2/3rds. or 66%.
2. Probability of sale for first time buyer is far lower, usually down in the low teens.
3. 2% increase in customer retention equals about 10% reduction in costs.

The value for the store is retention of customers, but they cannot do that without making the first sale to a new customer.  This is why sometimes one feels they were given great pricing the first time, but not so much the subsequent times until later.  The sweet spot for discounts are at the ends of the customer spectrum, new ones and well-established repeat customers.

When you walk into a retail archery pro-shop, your contact there is going to be well-prepped to know all this and what discounts he can offer.  You just have to show that you are a new customer, qualified lead, and willing to hit the door.

This does not work at a big box like BPS.  That's all corporate driven, and why all of sales items are closest to the doors and the products one want's discounts on are furtherest from the door.   BPS sales lead to draw in new customers is eye candy with theme-oriented.  

They are like Disneyland in that people who attend tend to buy mementos impulsively.  BPS knows this and why they spend heavily on the store decor and in-store restaurant. They're creating a theme park to spark your impulsive buying.  Once they do, you're in their database for direct marketing programs and partnership programs that bring more revenue.

It's just like a car dealership where you are not alone without a best friend.  You do have a best friend.  It's the door.  So always be near the door when talking pricing.  Whether it's the car dealership, or your local archery pro shop.  

Avoid BPS because the door is far removed from the archery section.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top