Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 8/12/2014 3:31:05 PM EDT
My kids girl 10 and son 8 are getting antsy on the weekends and I was thinking about putting up some hay bails in the backyard and setting up some targets for them. Any suggestions for a couple of first timers? I have a compound bow ( I hardly ever use) and was thinking it would be a good way to spend some time together. Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Join Archery talk forum...they are the ar15 of archery
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two kids of my own and they put things down as quick as they pick them up. With that in mind I would suggest if you're going to buy a bow make it something that isn't too expensive encase they do lose interest. With that being said, I think the best compound bow you could get your kids is the Infinite Edge. The bow fits almost any archer so as your kids grow up the bow wont need to be replaced because can be adjusted to fit them. A great resource I have found for compound bow reviews is this site. You can read about the Infinite Edge there and I think they also have an article on youth bows as well. Best of luck to you and shooting with your kids

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
another is the quest radical- it can "grow" with your kid.  Just out the cost of arrows as DL lengthens as they grow.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked one of these up for my son last year and we liked it so much I got one each for the wife and daughter this year.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RXOOQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Picked one of these up for my son last year and we liked it so much I got one each for the wife and daughter this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RXOOQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote
Would you say the 45-60 lb draw would be a good entry level vow for someone like myself? I'm interested in archery and bow hunting but can't bring myself to spend 500+ $ on something that may not end up interesting me all that much

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would you say the 45-60 lb draw would be a good entry level vow for someone like myself? I'm interested in archery and bow hunting but can't bring myself to spend 500+ $ on something that may not end up interesting me all that much  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to a local archery store.

They'll have more than enough deeply discounted beginner bows and will help adjust draw length to suit your span.

Arrows are as expensive as you want them to be but regardless, pretty pricey if you have a tendency to strike hard objects or lose them My only suggestion is if they are not brightly colored, go ahead and spray paint the arrows with a light coat of fluorescent pink or orange to stand out. Bright fletches too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They'll have more than enough deeply discounted beginner bows and will help adjust draw length to suit your span.

Arrows are as expensive as you want them to be but regardless, pretty pricey if you have a tendency to strike hard objects or lose them My only suggestion is if they are not brightly colored, go ahead and spray paint the arrows with a light coat of fluorescent pink or orange to stand out. Bright fletches too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My local academy is my archery store. You would think there would be one here in my town in KY but ibhave yet to see one after living here for 3 years.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My local academy is my archery store. You would think there would be one here in my town in KY but ibhave yet to see one after living here for 3 years.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you live? There's gotta be an archery store in the next town over. Small towns tend to have 'em, at least when I was there. I had to drive an hour to an archery shop to get mine when I first started. Well worth it. An hour of drive time is nothing. In fact, I'm about to head out the door to drive 40 minutes to an archery store to get mine restrung. If I had the press, I'd likely do it myself. Alas, I don't.

I learned a lot from some good ol' boy and he helped me loose some arrows on different bows and get the feel for it. YMMV but unless you have someone to show you, I'd avoid throwing $125 down the drain for a bow that will likely be undersized and never shot. Good luck.

Edit: Damnit, dude charged me $5 to restring it. Oh well, the ratchet strap trick wasn't working and I'd rather not break/twist a limb. Dude was huge, he asked if it was my son's bow. I was all "no, it's mine..." It's only 60lb bow, which is around normal. He probably shoots 85 lbs or something.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top