Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2013 2:58:35 AM EDT
Many years ago a friend got me into archery and bow hunting.  There for a few years I was completely addicted to it.  However, I moved to a new city and the friend who taught me everything was killed in a car accident soon after.  I never hunted or even shot my bow again.  Towards the end I had purchased a very expensive bow that was actually way too much bow for me and even now I can just pull it to full draw after being lowered as much as possible.  So, now I have this bow ( a PSE Mach 10) that I paid $1500 for (with the sight, quiver and stabilizer) that's only been in the field once (I got a doe with it) that I can shoot but just barely.  I have arthritis in my spine and as much as I loved this bow I'm thinking a newer lighter bow (maybe pink) would be a better choice.

I realize bow values are almost nil for older bows and I have a lot of money in this one so selling or trading means a huge loss.  I'm thinking about trading it in, a local bow shop said considering it's almost new and was one PSE's highest end bows they might go as high as $350 on a trade-in (I'm considering a Matthews Jewel).  Here's my options:

1.  Keep it. It's still a great bow and I can hopefully get a few more years out of it before I can't physically pull it any longer.

2.  Trade it.  Take advantage of the trade in and get that I won't hurt myself with and allow someone else to get a great deal on a great bow.

3.  Keep it but...for sentimental reasons and buy a new bow.

4.  Sell it.  It's a great opportunity for someone to get a really good bow for a price they normally couldn't/wouldn't pay.  Apply money to new bow.

What do you archery guru's recommend?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I would try to sell private party and take the money to put toward a bow that will be more enjoyable, easier on your body. It takes a lot of the fun out of something if its painful to do.  Hope that helps.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I was thinking about that too.  Maybe I'll take some pics and post it and see what happens.  I realize it doesn't have anywhere near it's original value but I'm not giving it away either.  Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You should check out the classifieds on archerytalk.com. There you can search your specific bow and see what they are selling for. I've bought most of my bowhunting equipment there. And when it comes time, you should definately go to your local pro shop to be properly fitted for a new bow. The Bear Siren or Bowtech Heartbreaker might just be up your alley
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You should check out the classifieds on archerytalk.com. There you can search your specific bow and see what they are selling for. I've bought most of my bowhunting equipment there. And when it comes time, you should definately go to your local pro shop to be properly fitted for a new bow. The Bear Siren or Bowtech Heartbreaker might just be up your alley

This.^^^^
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
So I went where you guys suggested and searched until I went cross eyed and didn't find a single bow like mine or even in the same series.  I even searched all over the web and found very few mentions of the bow at all other than some forum posts talking about them being the cadillac's of their day (which in the bow resale world doesn't add much).  They were really expensive when new so I'm guessing that's why so few are out there now or people just kept them to shoot or as backups.  I'll post some pics and see what happens...if it's just a bunch of really low offers I'll just keep it.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
My old bows went from primary, to back up, to loaner, to fish bow, to garage sale in that order.  

They aren't worth anything used and selling them to remote buyers is a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup...may sell mine for a good price someday if I know someone who's looking for a first bow and can't afford a new one. Somebody will get a great bow for a great price.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My old bows went from primary, to back up, to loaner, to fish bow, to garage sale in that order.  

They aren't worth anything used and selling them to remote buyers is a pain in the ass.

this, except for loaner.  I never loan.  No free ride here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I get rid of my bows after two years, I used to only shoot older bows to save money bit had an Onida eagle break a limb on me while fully drawn......shit hurt!

Link Posted: 10/1/2013 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup...may sell mine for a good price someday if I know someone who's looking for a first bow and can't afford a new one. Somebody will get a great bow for a great price.
View Quote

Do this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Brandi -
I'm not familiar with PSE bows, but is it an option to buy a new set of limbs at a lower draw for it? It is a shame that used bows don't hold their value - except for traditional bows (mostly). When I first started out in archery, I made the same mistake as you; buying a bow that was way to heavy for me. It was a beautiful Damon Howatt Hunter, with just beautiful wood in the riser. I hunted with it for a week, then hung it up on the wall, and ordered a custom take down (a Bighorn, company now defunct, by G. Fred Asbell. Selling it was the biggest mistake I EVER made; they are impossible to find now) with a more reasonable 45lb draw. The Howatt hanging on the wall was a 65lb draw. I did however manage to kill at doe at the amazing range of 6 yards the first morning of the season, but I considered it a lucky shot!)

Before I went to traditional bows, I had started out with a Bear Whitetail (remember that train wreck of a contraption?) and moved up to a Jennings Shooting Star. (another ill conceived sale I regret!) After I sold the Jennings, and the Bighorn, I was lucky enough to meet a very kind gentleman named Tom Parsons (who incidentally now is a bowyer who makes beautiful, and incredible shooting, recurves) who sold me a longbow made by Jerry Shulz, a protege of Howard Hill. I bought that one used for $400. I suffered a back injury and am now disabled, and have had to stop shooting, but I've been hanging onto it, for both sentimental and money reasons - I wouldn't sell it for less than $700 now, but no one seems to think it a reasonable price.

Sorry for rambling - my point is, yes, used bows don't hold their value, unless it's something very rare, and you may be able to lower the draw by switching out the limbs - which I'm not sure is possible with your bow.
Good luck though!
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#13]
That's an option I hadn't considered since the bow isn't made anymore, I'll contact PSE and see if they offer different limbs.  Thanks

I've recently put the bow up for trade but as I suspected nobody wants a bow that's not currently in the "catalog" so maybe the limb thing might be the answer although I'm not holding my breath on them actually having the limbs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:26:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry it's a late reply but if the price is right someone will eventually buy it. I picked up a pair of old Jennings Super T's ( circa 1977) and a PSE Laser Magnum (Circa 1981) for sentimental reasons. All 3 shoot amazingly well and I'm still able to stack em in the spot at 20 yards.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm always treated bows like I treat guns, if I get something new I normally keep the old one just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I shot a PSE Mach 10 for several years. Very good bow for its time, took several elk and an antelope with it.

I wasn't thinking about a new bow, but I had an issue with one of the limbs developing a small crack. At that point new limbs weren't available for that bow. That's when I looked in to new bows, and found that bow technology had moved on vastly.
New bows are easier to draw, faster, easier to tune, quieter, less vibration when shot, and lighter. There is simply no comparison between today's bows and something like the Mach 10 from a dozen years ago.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top