Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2014 9:05:09 AM EDT
I wanted to get into bows and bow hunting.  A friend of mines father used to bow hunt years ago, and his equipment was just sitting in a barn.  I asked my friend and his dad how much they'd want for his old bow, as I figured they'd give me a good price and it would be a cheep way to start.  Well, I was right, they gave me all his stuff for free!  Problem is, I don't really know what I've got in this thing.  Yes, its old, and I need to find a shop to tune it up (I cleaned it up the last two nights, so alot of the dirt in the pics is gone).  I also need to put fletching on the arrows as the existing fletching is beat up/gone.  Can anyone tell me about this bow?

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:23:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#1]
Well, it was probably a really good bow in its day, and it will possibly shoot really well for you.  Take it to a pro shop and let them check it out.

I don't want to rain on your parade (Bowrade)?, but you will end up spending far more at a pro shop than that bow is worth.  I see it all the time at the archery range/shop I go to, somebody comes in with a really neat old bow and they find out it would be 50-150 to get it ready to shoot.  
 You could possibly just get some cheap arrows and see how you like it first, but there is a very good chance the old string will break.  Then you end up popping yourself in the face
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I got it for free and we have shot it (I have 4 arrows to fletch right now, with a ton more on hand).  String looks recent so maybe he replaced it but who knows.  Its just for me to learn with, once I learn I'll pick up a much newer bow.  Gotta learn on something.  I'd like to replace the part that holds the arrow on the frame (and yeah, I don't know what that is ), as that is hard to balance an arrow on, but other than that I just want to see how it shoots before the snow hits.  Hopefully i can learn something and if I could take a deer with it, it make his dad so proud (and the mans been like a father to me so that would mean alot to me to).  Thanks for the response, I'll definitely keep it in mind (especially the string).
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Get some string wax, it helps preserve the string.   You could find a better arrow rest for 30-50.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top