Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2014 11:07:07 PM EDT
Interested in my first bow. Looking for a used one. Is 70 lbs too much weight ? I am an XL+ size person.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
simple answer is no, it is not too much, you can probably pull 70 lbs no problem. The pull isnt the problem though, it is holding it for up to 3 min waiting for a shot. Also, there are repetitive use injuries that can occur from pulling too much weight. The answer to your problem is to get a mathews and just turn it down to 60lbs until you have practiced every day for a couple months. This will condition your muscles.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
70lbs is what i shoot in my Mathews Helim. Just make sure your arrows spine can handle that draw weight.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hkusp] [#3]
What is a good but not too expensive arrow to start practicing with ? My draw length is 29".
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hkusp:
What is a good but not too expensive arrow to start practicing with ? My draw length is 29".
View Quote

I've been usine Beeman  ICS Bowhunter carbon shaft arrows. I think retail is around $80/dozen
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I am new as well, and just bought a No Cam (picked it up today) as my first bow. I am 5'6, 155 lbs, athletic and can pull the 70# no problem. To me it feels about the same as 60-65# on other bows. For every day shooting I have it turned down to 63#, but when hunting will crank it back to 70. Yes, with practice back at 70 before heading out to hunt.

My friend came over and we shot for a while this evening, and he is about to trade his in on one of these after trying a few shots. Smooth and on point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top