Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2014 3:45:46 PM EDT
Like the topic says, I want to dip my toes into archery but don't have a lot of money to spend. I want a modern compound bow. Used is OK. Ideally I'd like to get into a complete starter package between $200 and $250. Thus used being OK.

I'm right handed
6'3 with a 37 inch sleeve on my dress shirts, so a fairly long pull is in order, adjustable probably between 28 and 31 inches most likely
I'd like it to be adjustable in the 50-60 pound range with a 75 to 80 percent let off
Package should include a rest and a sight

I'm a newb, but that's about the extent of what I know. I really want to stick to my stated budget. More may be spent down the road if I enjoy it.

Can you recommend some bows to look at that meets those criteria?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I found a Bear Element at a pawn shop with a whisker biscuit, single pin range adjustable fiber optic sight, and a crappy true fire wrist release for $150. I told them it needed to be restrung, so we settled on $100. It was the right draw length and already set around 60 pounds. Took it to the local pro shop, they said it was in great shape and confirmed it was sized correctly for me. I got an Allen soft case for $50, cheaper than it is on Amazon, a dozen Beeman carbon hunter arrows for $40, and ordered a Tru Ball thumb trigger from Amazon for $60 which feels much better than the wrist release. So I'm right there at my $250 for a complete set-up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IIRC:
Awesome

It gets addictive fast.

I don't know if you're much of a hunter, but bowhunting is as rewarding as it gets.
View Quote

No I'm not a hunter, although I purchase my license every year. I will take the required bowhunter's safety course to be able to hunt with it if needed. I won't lie, one of my reasons for getting into bows was to have the ability to take game quietly if the SHTF.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I just purchased a Diamond Infinite Edge. $300 equipped and set up to shoot.

Adjustable from 5 to 70 lbs draw. 75% let off.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:13:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Python00] [#6]
I got a Concept 99 off craigslist for $300. Had a drop away rest and $100 sights. I only hunt with it now. 99% let off and my lead arm starts shaking first.

I started with a old Browning, then PSE Baby Gforce "the bow that will show you when you screw up" and then this.

http://www.conceptarchery.com/C99

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:57:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brewmann] [#7]
About  2 1/2 years ago I decided to try bowhunting to give me a longer season. Went to the local Archery shop and told them I wanted something entry level that had enough speed to take a deer. Shot a couple different combos and settled on a PSE BruteX. Upgraded to a Matthews Chill this year and gave the PSE to my nephew who is just starting out as well.

Go to your local Archery shop and tell them that you just want something to feel the waters in your budget...then shoot them until you find something comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By brewmann:
About  2 1/2 years ago I decided to try bowhunting to give me a longer season. Went to the local Archery shop and told them I wanted something entry level that had enough speed to take a deer. Shot a couple different combos and settled on a PSE BruteX. Upgraded to a Matthews Chill this year and gave the PSE to my nephew who is just starting out as well.

Go to your local Archery shop and tell them that you just want something to feel the waters in your budget...then shoot them until you find something comfortable.
View Quote

I guess eight months later is better than never

Damn this forum is deadddddddddd!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Willz:

I just purchased a Diamond Infinite Edge. $300 equipped and set up to shoot.

Adjustable from 5 to 70 lbs draw. 75% let off.
View Quote
I came to recommend pretty much any Diamond bow, they are really nice for the price. Also, stay away from the whisker biscuits they slow down your arrows a LOT. Instead it is worth the $60-90 to get a ripcord or drop-away rest.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tdonaldson3:

Also, stay away from the whisker biscuits they slow down your arrows a LOT. Instead it is worth the $60-90 to get a ripcord or drop-away rest.  
View Quote

I dunno, I didn't really have an issue with the whisker biscuit…and the bow was plenty fast for a 30 yard shot. It was beyond my ability to be able to tell the difference at the time. Although I did become VERY good at fletching arrow shafts. IMO that would be the only downside; I did easily 50-60 draws a night.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tdonaldson3:

Also, stay away from the whisker biscuits they slow down your arrows a LOT. Instead it is worth the $60-90 to get a ripcord or drop-away rest.  
View Quote

I dunno, I didn't really have an issue with the whisker biscuit…and the bow was plenty fast for a 30 yard shot. It was beyond my ability to be able to tell the difference at the time. Although I did become VERY good at fletching arrow shafts. IMO that would be the only downside; I did easily 50-60 draws a night.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are not in a hurry, wait a couple months for deer season to be over.  The shops will be full of used bows because everyone will be selling theirs to buy the latest and greatest fishing gear.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

No I'm not a hunter, although I purchase my license every year. I will take the required bowhunter's safety course to be able to hunt with it if needed. I won't lie, one of my reasons for getting into bows was to have the ability to take game quietly if the SHTF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Originally Posted By IIRC:
Awesome

It gets addictive fast.

I don't know if you're much of a hunter, but bowhunting is as rewarding as it gets.

Heh, unless you start hunting now and learning how to do it, you're unlikely to be able to just go out and get yourself a deer when the SHTF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top