Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 12:50:00 AM EDT
I just recently ordered a new PSE Brute X.  This is my first compound bow.  I have done some archery a long, long time ago with recurves, but never with a compound.  The bow is currently on backorder.  Looking for feedback on what arrows, etc. to consider.  The shop measured my draw length at 27", but said they would probably start me at 26".  I have never used a release before either.  The bow is a 50#-60#, so I figured I would have them set it at 50# until I get used to it.  A friend also wants me to go bowfishing with him, so that will be even more to learn.  I plan on mostly doing target practice and maybe looking into 3D.  I am excited to venture into archery, but also nervous too.  Looking for any advice you guys can over to a complete newb!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow....great to see this is a good site for information....NOT.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#2]
We don't get as much traffic on this side of the site especially during the off season (as it relates to hunting).

Have you got your Brute X, yet?  I have the same bow and I love it.

As for the arrows, the guys at your archery shop should be able to outfit you with exactly what you need.  That being said, as a newb to bows, and bow hunting, I can tell you a few things to watch for.  First, the arrow has to be long enough that there are a couple of inches of arrow past your rest when at full draw.  I have a 29" draw length, and 28" inch arrows which gives me about an inch and a half of arrow past my rest.  Second, the total arrow weight (shaft, fletching, nock and heads) cannot be any less than 5 grains per pound of draw weight.  Finally, aluminum versus carbon fiber.  Aluminum is less expensive, but heavier and can get bent.  Carbon fiber is lighter and more flexible, but more expensive, and instead of bending, they can crack and potentially blow up in your face.  All of that being said, I am told that carbon arrows are more durable in the long run.  It just hurts more to lose them.

My Brute X is setup at 50# as well, and I am using Carbon Express Mutiny 250 spine with 100 grain heads for a total weight of 393 grains.  That set up yields around 250 fps for me.  After getting a few pointers from my pro shop guy, I was able to take it out and consistently put my arrows in a 6 inch grouping at 20 yards.  I'm looking forward to what I can do after some good practice time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top